1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wave of Islamist terror attacks in France, Tunisia, Kuwait

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 26, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oRuL-hiYTVA?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Then STFU.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for calling you out on your lies.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Apology not accepted.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

A countervailing point to an internet survey that allowed multiple votes and could have been gamed with any set of internet vote rings/bots--

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...t-about-islamic-state-have-surprising-results

http://www.slideshare.net/TWIPubs/arab-public-opinion-and-the-fight-against-isis-english

I think this survey had a much better methodology than a multiple responses/vote-ringed set up with no thought as to sampling method. Any percent of Muslims that openly express support for ISIS is too much, but I'm not surprised the former unscientific study got a lot more traction than something professionally sampled.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, intern, I actually saw that ISIS promoted voting FOR ISIS in that poll (which, by the way, proves that New Yorker's nonsense about that not referring to ISIS was, of course, BS - needless to say).

So, if anything, this shows that ISIS is apparently good at mobilizing support for online warfare. They promoted it and got lots of votes.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't read the other pages in the thread yet, but wanted to reply, ATW. In my opinion, those who support radical Islamic terrorism do so more from a lack of education and opportunity in their respective countries, than because of an inherent "flaw" in Islam as a religion. I don't follow any religion and would like to think that I can view them dispassionately. To me, Islam is no more and no less nonsensical than the vast majority of other religions. I mean no disrespect to those here who happen to be religious, to be clear. Because huge numbers of Muslims live in countries with awful "educational" systems, the system typically being that if you have money and the "proper social status," you can get a decent education, that status generally dependent on being a supporter of whatever non-democratic regime is in power in a particular country, it doesn't surprise me that these extremists, like ISIS, appeal to ignorant, poor Muslims left with no apparent hope for the future. Those Muslims I know personally here in the States are observant of their religion, yet highly educated, have a good life here, and are people we gladly have over for dinner, sans the cocktails. ;-)-

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please read the other pages in the thread, and specifically the Pew polls. You mean well, but to say Islam is no more or less nonsensical or harmful than other religions makes you appear very uninformed.

9. Northside Storm

Maybe you'll stick to citing credible studies then ;)

inb4 ISIS cybercriminal caliphate of mass DDoS attack through Twitter vote rings

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe you should stick to reading before commenting.

11. Northside Storm

man, so sensitive. ;)

Stick with the Toronto Star not the Sun, the Sun openly prints unscientific garbage. That they partly admit it themselves doesn't make it any better. That you admit it is garbage doesn't make you much better on the front of citing garbage.

"may not be"

bahaha.

#71 Northside Storm, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What exactly do you disagree with in the article? The article is better than anything you have ever posted on this forum.

13. Northside Storm

A lot of things, but I thought it was painfully obvious when I pointed out the central piece of evidence cited is complete unscientific garbage (and you agreed).

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You clearly lack the intellectual ability to comprehend the article or how to assess an online poll. The fact that it is not scientific does not make it garbage, so please do not try these little games of putting words in my mouth - you will never win at that game. Fact of the matter is that ISIS has support among Muslims, not only in the region - a scientific poll found that 27 % of 18-24 old French Muslims have positive views of ISIS. Don't assume that among Sunni Muslims in the Middle East, this figure will be lower.

You can try to claim that an online poll is not scientific, but you are totally missing the point: ISIS are not just a few isolated crazies. They share many of the same views and societal goals with a large percentage of Muslims in the Middle East and in Europe.

15. Northside Storm

I haven't assumed, I've posted a properly done study to make my case that assumptions and anecdote are bogus--in fact with a margin of error of around 3% and properly selected samples, something like 5% of Saudis express support for ISIS and 1% of Lebanese Sunnis. You know, with a nationally representative study, not a time-constrained online free-for-all.

Any % is too high, but you're making a lot of assumptions and insulating a lot of things that a well-constructed survey that conforms to the basics of representative sampling do not fully support.

If you can't recognize why the equivalent of a Fox News sidebar without sampling attribution can't pass muster across a variety of basic sampling biases, I really can't help you. Sorry.

As for my main point: when you cite crap, everybody loses. Flawed information begets flawed arguments which begets flawed solutions and insights, if they ever arise. I was suggesting you cite less crap, but hey, take it as you will.

#75 Northside Storm, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You need to read the Pew polls. Then you need to read them again. And then you need to read them again.

Here, to remind you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As to Saudis having positive views of ISIS - since you specifically proudly cited that "only 5 % of Saudis support ISIS": Whether they have positive views of ISIS is one thing. But whether they share the same views on how society should be governed (namely by an extremely strict interpretation of sharia law, which is part of the core of the religious ideology of Islam) is another.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/crime-and-punishment-islamic-state-vs-saudi-arabia-1588245666

[​IMG]

So now you tell me how much your "only 5 % of Saudis express support for ISIS" is really worth. I'll tell you: It's worth jack ****. They believe largely in the same horrible societal rules which have their roots in the ideology of political Islam (and, in this case, Wahhabism).

Of course, the fact that the West is allies with a regime like that is utterly shameful, and hypocritical.

17. Northside Storm

Don't assume the figure will be higher, because it isn't.

That's all.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, that's not all.

You are obviously trying to reduce the issue to whether they specifically have a positive view of ISIS in one poll you quoted, because as soon as you go away from that technicality, you have no leg to stand on.

That, once again, misses the point: From where we stand in the West, does it matter for whether we should be morally concerned whether someone wants to kill "apostates" or "blasphemers" or homosexuals because they support ISIS or because they support Al Qaeda or because they support Saudi style Wahhabism?

No, it doesn't.

What matters is that all three of these horrible groups represent a terrible, inhumane and backward ideology - and in all three cases the shared ideological root is Islam itself, with its "sharia law". As it is for the Taliban who apply similar rules under their interpretation of sharia law, and as it is for Boko Haram. All these extremist groups aren't isolated. Many supposedly "moderate" versions of Islamic societies incorporate similar rules. They all draw on the same political and pseudo-religious ideology: Islam.

19. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

>> "You lack the intellectual blah blah blah""
    >> Proceeds to use unreliable poll, admits how bad it is, but still thinks its result have any meaning.

I've never seen anyone more oblivious than you. inb4 some asinine attack instead of defending why he would stupidity like above and think it's OK

20. Northside Storm

I didn't know it was a technicality to answer a questionable pseudo-study and an unfounded assumption about positive feelings on ISIS in the Middle East with a study on just that.

I don't know why you're continuing to pound the same points you've been making through endless threads but I guess this is the default mode for you when you're stuck with countervailing evidence.