1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson's arm strength

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I thought Lance Z, prior to the draft, said it best: if Watson fails, it'll be because he's just not good enough physically. It won't be because he's not smart enough, not committed; it won't be because he's a diva or prima donna. He'll be able to grasp the playbook and make all the reads. Make-up-wise, he is exactly what you look for in a QB.

That's a good start because those things are much harder to teach/learn.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

In those replies, Breer and Peter King said that Watson was their #1 QB

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.battleredblog.com/2017/5/5/15563118/does-deshaun-watson-really-have-a-noodle-arm

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it'll be because he's not committed, I think it'll be that he's just not good enough and doesn't have NFL caliber skills along with not being able to read defenses. When it comes to his personality and intangibles, he's exactly what you want.....just not when it comes to anything else which is why when people talk about him, those are the only things they ever talk about.

55 is seen as the minimum and I don't think anyone is suggesting that he doesn't have the arm to throw hard enough, he's just got bad footwork that robs his passes of the necessary zip. The fastest example they show is still short of the minimum so in some ways this shows that ball velocity really was a problem even if it wasn't as pathetic as his combine numbers.

The hope is that he can be coached up and learn to throw the ball properly which should pick up the velocity to at least minimum standards.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm pretty sure I can find at least 50 instances were people are suggesting that he doesn't the arm to throw hard enough. I mean that's basically all people have been harping on since that stupid velocity measurement was tweeted out at the combine, besides his lack of intelligence or to read a field properly and progressively.

How is 49.81mph THAT far off from the minimum of 55mph? I mean that's pretty much hitting it on the don't minus percentages of a mph. If you noticed when Carr and Mahomes had that throwing competition, when Patrick hit 58-60mph on the gun his throws became extremely off target and erratic.

If all you want is another hard throwing QB that can't read a defense we might as well bring back Osweiler or Mallet. It sounds an awful lot like that's what everyone is clamoring for.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, for example, if you were throwing a 20 yard pass, when the 55 MPH ball reached it's target the 50 MPH ball would still be something like 7.5 feet away from it's target.

One pass is safely in the receivers hands, the other can still be intercepted.

This throw was the perfect example of a pass that if thrown with just a bit more zip on the ball it's a completion instead of an interception because the DB then couldn't have made up the 5 yard cushion while the ball was in the air.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't think anyone really takes the 55 MPH thing seriously. There is no doubt that Watson can be coached up and learn all of the skills needed to be a solid QB. He is basically a coach's dream and soaks up knowledge according to sources. This is overblown criticism and I'm pretty sure you're just looking to hate because you've been flat out wrong about him numerous times before while he was at Clemson.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

5 mph is quite a difference in the pitching world

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course no one takes it seriously, no area in which he needs improvement is something that matters because if it was then it would go against the "savior" narrative. Thanks for the input.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

How is the strength in his other limbs?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No I'm saying that Watson will improve in all of those areas based off of his track record. Watson doesn't have physical limitations and he possesses demonstrably strong poise and work ethic. He is reportedly a coach's dream QB and doesn't appear to be stubborn. Tim Tebow would be a stud if he was as accurate and had the quick throwing motion that Watson has. Not saying that Watson will figure it out but it's a good bet.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not really a strength issue so much as it is a form and footwork issue. It's correctable, but it just takes work.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

Welp...here's to hoping we don't get E.J. Manuel'ed or Christian Ponder'ed

Nook, Yaosthirdleg and Fullcourt like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It also takes actual playing time.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it doesn't. It takes being coached up and taught how to do it properly then enough practice to where it becomes instinctive. Him learning how to run a pro style offense and how to read defenses will take playing time though.

Nook likes this.
  16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning won the MVP by capping out at 45 mph or less. Watson's arm strength is plenty enough. It could get better, but it doesn't need to get better. Sports science puts him at 53.5 mph...but a super fast release, which would get his ball to the same spot as someone that throws 57 mph with a normal release.

This should honestly be the least of the concerns with Watson, along with his accuracy.

The mental part of the game is all Watson needs to work on....he's got every thing else.

Two Sandwiches and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, all he has to be is the greatest QB in the history of the league and he can get away with a lack of velocity for a year or two before becoming worse than Brock Osweiler. Solid point.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You still have Peyton over Brady as the greatest QB in league history?

Man, I hate Brady, but I'm not too blind to realize his accomplishments.

Sometimes you wear some huge blinders.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Watson was their guy. He might not have been their #1 but he was 2nd on their list.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You talk about us overblowing one championship game. (Which he actually had 2 of and played well in both)

You've been overblowing his one bad game against Troy. Plus if you notice there's a guy sitting right underneath that throw so if he had thrown the ball with more "zip" thus on a straighter line it would have been intercepted too. That wasn't a question of zip it was timing, the guy was making a break for the ball and Watson still hadn't let go of that pass. That ball should have been thrown two seconds ago like he usually does using his anticipation skills.

Just as you have told other's it's just one game and that wasn't a bad throw it was bad timing.

eric.81 and Hey Now! like this.