1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson's arm strength

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well we could have had him for 1 second instead of 2 firsts

2. Mr. Clutch

It's what the scouts are saying, and Rick Smith said it, so our own scouts agreed.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Thousands of scouts are wrong every year...Being a scout just means that you're a fan that watches more games. Scouts also said that Watt plays too high...he doesnt have pass rushing moves...has a hard time moving laterally...He needs to improve his tackling technique...he has a hard time setting the edge as a DE...

4. Mr. Clutch

Sure, scouts can be wrong.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely that's true.....as are fans who base their opinion on wishful thinking. If I'm betting on one having a better chance to be right than the other, which do you think I put my money on?

When it comes to JJ Watt, he wasn't the monster that he is now in his first season, he had a LOT of learning to do but he put in the work and we saw the results.

The opinion of scouts isn't the end all be all, but when EVERY scout says that a player has a weakness in a certain area, it's probably for a solid reason and I can't just dismiss that because fans who are hoping for the best say "NUH UH! He's a winner"

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

So are you saying that Deshaun is as good as you think Jimmy G is? Which means Deshaun is good enough to be a successful franchise QB. If so, who cares how much it took to get him? The Texans have a successful franchise QB.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And nobody said as much. My contention is that he wasn't as heavily scrutinized as Watson because of both Watson's high-profile, as well as the rise of social media, making it easier to watch games. I'm guessing - just guessing - that a YouTube search for "Matt Schaub highlights" in 2003 didn't return more than 119,000 results. Hell, a "Matt Schaub highlights" search on YouTube right now only nets 13,000 results.

#107 Hey Now!, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't believe anybody outside the voices in your head have dismissed concerns about Watson because, "NUH UH! He's a winner"

But here's the thing... if, as you say, achieving NFL greatness is rooted in learning and hard work - I mean, it seems unlikely a kid that has achieved the level of success Watson has would struggle with either concept. He might! He wouldn't be the first "justwinz" football player to fall on his face at the NFL level. But I think he has the right foundation in place.

9. rezdawg

Its not every scout saying that he's inaccurate. Most, sure...but definitely not all.

Also, when you're as high profile as Watson, if there are any question marks, they have no choice but to hammer home that idea bc there isnt much else to pick apart. They have to get ultra specific...like, "When he rolls to the left against a cover 2 defense, he needs to follow through on his throw for improved accuracy". Just watch the game tapes and make a decision for yourself.

Ive seen draft profiles regarding Watson having a strong arm...but you choose to believe he has a weak arm. Why not go with the scouts?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's every one of them and it's not that specific. He struggles with ball placement and accuracy on intermediate to deep routes, doesn't mean he didn't throw accurate intermediate to deep routes ever, just that he's very inconsistent with it and it's something he needs to work on. Ball velocity is also a problem, but that doesn't mean that he never threw a pass with enough zip on it.

Anyway, it's cool, I know that fans are just wanting to believe the best and that's okay, I'll play along. Watson has no flaws and is the next Tom Brady/Peyton Manning only better than both. Whatever makes you guys happy.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Scouts didn't say anything about his arm strength (or ball velocity...if that's what we're calling it) until he threw at the combine and his MPH was low.

Watching film, which matters much more, it's blatantly obvious he throws faster and that his arm strength is perfectly fine. That's what the reality of the tape is. To say otherwise, means you're too glued to numbers from one meaningless event, or you're wearing blinders to prove a point.

Thread is about arm strength being fine. It is.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, everyone is just hating on the next Tom Brady/Peyton Manning and plays where his lack of velocity lead to interceptions or incompletions is just visual defamation and I'm personally offended.

13. rezdawg

He's far from perfect...not sure why it has to either be crapping all over him or thinking he's the greatest of all time. There is a middle ground...and it's a QB that has a lot of positive attributes that needs to put in the time to develop to become a franchise QB. I do think a lot of his issues are overblown...like his velocity. But, when we are choosing a potential franchise QB, he has most of the attributes I would be looking for, and that's a good start.

Regarding his deep ball...he's actually accurate in that department. He could work on intermediate throws...but again...every QB can work on that. 90% of starting QBs in the NFL need to work on that. Eli Manning needs to work on that...as does Rivers (60% completion percentage, lolol). So again, something that he should focus on, but that isnt necessarily detrimental to his career.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Honestly, I've watched every throw from probably ten of his games recently, and don't remember seeing a pick from poor ball velocity.

I've seen a bunch from him misreading coverage, or not seeing a defender. A few from tipped passes. One or two from him over or under throwing a deep man. And a couple from trying to throw into tight coverage.

I guess you could say a lack of ball velocity lead to the picks when he tried to throw into tight coverage, but I'd say they were bad decisions, which is what most of his picks are.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that....and then when those flaws are mentioned, you either dismiss them entirely saying they aren't real flaws or that they are flaws that every QB has. So yeah, you are kind of acting like he's perfect, and I get it, fans want to wish for the best and if he's not a franchise QB the Texans really screwed up.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then you either didn't watch the Troy game, or you didn't realize that the first pick was due to slow ball velocity. If the ball is thrown 3 MPH faster, it's a completion instead of an interception.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Scratch that, it was the 2nd interception in the Troy game that happened in the 3rd quarter. It's not that he physically can't throw the ball faster, he just needs to put in the world to eliminate that flaw in his passing.

18. rezdawg

No, Im not....Im saying they are issues that are overblown. His arm velocity is not going to hinder him from being a franchise QB.

His intermediate accuracy needs help, specially on slant routes (he tends to throw behind the receiver instead of lead him), but it's not like he's inaccurate with every throw. It's more that he's inaccurate in specific situations/throws.

Im not too concerned with the physical traits that Watson possesses. However, since you like to assume that I think he's all-world, I think what will make him great or flop is his ability to read defenses and be able to go through his progressions. That is an area he needs to work on. That is an area where he needs to dedicate a lot of time and energy towards. If he can improve in this area and win the battle of the mental game, none of his velocity or accuracy issues will keep him from being a franchise guy. And that is why I dont care much for the discussions regarding his weak arm (velocity) or his inaccuracies as a passer.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, the conversation is especially tiresome right now given that we have so little to go on. The rest of the off-season is going to be REALLY long.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It's gonna be crazy to watch him throw after a season and a half of Brock and Mallet. I'm sure some slow throw -> interceptions will piss us off, while the touch throws over the middle that don't zip right over into the CB's hands will be nice. Just going to be a different passing game to watch. Hopefully for the better. I really can't wait tho.