1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson's arm strength

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm fine throwing completion % out. He still threw as many interceptions and far fewer touchdowns. So I find this line particularly full of ****, as most scouting reports are: "It was also noted that he was highly accurate when making these throws, especially in key downs and he rarely made any big mistakes."

Watson was a high-profile prospect playing on huge stages who had his game picked to pieces by a far more pervasive draft media conglomerate and dumbass online "experts." Schaub was a low-end prospect, on a nowheresville college football team that no one paid much attention to.

If he "rarely made any big mistakes" then the same could be said of Watson, who very obviously made far more big plays.

FLASH21 likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Inaccuracy is pretty much on every Deshaun scouting report I've read.

I'm not saying it can't be fixed, or that it will be bad.

But even Rick Smith mentioned it.

#82 Mr. Clutch, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, you can think whatever you want to think about it, I just want to point out that I wasn't giving my opinion about it, I was stating what actual professional scouts for NFL teams had to say about it and not online "experts" or random draftnik types who crush on different players every year and push them as the next great thing. If you know better, awesome.

Also, when it comes to "rarely making any big mistakes" you couldn't say the same of Watson, he routinely made big mistakes either due to inaccuracy or simply failing to read opposing defenses properly.....and again, that's not just my opinion, you'll find that knock on Watson on ANY scouting report you find on him. Doesn't mean he can't overcome it, but it is a concern and it's not an unfair one.

4. Hey Now!

I don't know how we'd quantify mistakes other than incompletions and interceptions (cool if you have a better method) - and on that front, Schaub made mistakes at roughly the same pace as Watson - only Schaub was doing it during regional telecasts of a noon game against Duke while Watson was doing it against six teams that finished the season in the top 25, including three in the top 10.

eric.81, FLASH21 and Nimo like this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

In all of these Schaub comparisons, are we trying to say he will get as high as Schaub? Be as low as Schaub? Same, worse, or better career? I'm just not understanding where everyone is going with this. I think the best thing to look at is who Watson played against. Elite defenses and he destroyed most of them.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Fair enough, I guess I must have missed just how far that throw was.

FLASH21 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand them either, the two could not be more different players. It would be like comparing Andre Johnson and Wes Welker.

houstonstime likes this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

When looking at scouting reports for college QB's, they all have some negatives. Pick any QB coming out of college and you will see negatives that could be considered a concern.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Deshaun Watson is a winner coming to a built to win team. He will be who we thought he was.

Fulgore likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Oh, you know how these threads work - they splinter into a million different directions...

My position is that Watson is being picked apart due to his high profile; everyone watched several of his games because his team was very good and played a very difficult schedule. And it's creating a bunch of empty ideas about "system" and "accuracy" by a bunch of internet "experts" who prove repeatedly that they don't know what they're talking about.

No one knows anything, me included.

11. Mr. Clutch

Bottom line is that the scouting reports and scouts watching him say he was inaccurate.

All the stuff about Schaub and systems and winning was an attempt to deflect from that IMO

12. Hey Now!

No; it underscored how unreliable scouting reports are. Schaub received praise for his accuracy; Watson, who threw incompletions and interceptions at almost the exact same rate as Schaub, was graded down for his accuracy. Can you explain that?

High-profile players like Watson are given a much higher-degree of scrutiny. No one meticulously picked apart a middling QB prospect for a below-the-radar Virginia team like they did the QB that led his team to consecutive national title games. I mean, if we can't agree on that........ what can we agree on?

I don't care about the scouting reports. I only care what he does as a Texan, which will start this weekend.

houstonstime likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, I can explain it. Schaub was actually super accurate, as he proved in his NFL career. College INTs alone don't tell you how accurate someone was, there are many factors.

And Schaub did indeed prove to be super accurate, like the scouts said.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yawn, I feel like a lot of people are complaining about Watson so that if he does bad they can say "I told you so" which is weak... and if they are wrong then it means he is good so they like that too. I just don't see the point. At least lets see him at rookie minicamp or something.

Side note.. it's funny how INTs don't tell you how accurate someone is when it means someone that was accurate in NFL was similar to Watson. Brees led the college league in INTs I believe as well. Can we maybe use Watson's high completion percentage? Or instead of any stats we will just use what some NFL guys say he "looks like" when he throws... Hell, Chad Kelly damn near broke sports science's accuracy test, why didn't we get him?

15. Hey Now!

Which is why I included incompletions (earlier, completion %), as well. I understand that's a surface-level assessment - but it again speaks to the level of scrutiny. We have the capacity to watch nearly every throw Watson's ever made at Clemson, both because of the proliferation of social media, as well as his high-profile.

We don't have the same capacity with Schaub, both because he played 14 years ago and also because he did so under the radar for a middling football program no one cared/cares about.

Schaub threw incompletions/interceptions at almost the exact same pace as Watson.

He was; and did so without a terrific arm, btw. Anyone think Matt Schaub's velocity was topping 50 MPH? Of course not. He also played in an offense that was specifically designed to maximize high percentage pass attempts for its QBs. He took advantage of the system and ran it to near-perfection, no question. But as I demonstrated, it's a system that can make QBs look good (see Rosenfels, Sage).

16. Mr. Clutch

Which is what scouts have done, and the conclusion is Watson has some accuracy issues to work on.

Not saying it can't be fixed, but we didn't get him because he has amazing accuracy, a cannon, and great vision. We got him because he's a winner.

I don't think Schaub was rated as "high accuracy" because there was no social media or because no one watched him.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So.....professional scouts say one thing, but Texans fans feel differently based on.....wishful thinking? Sounds legit.

I certainly hope that all of the scouts are wrong and the fans are right, but that's not something I'd want to bet on.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, I dont get it either...Watson threw for a completion percentage of 67%...which ranks him in the top 10 in college football. However, he faced much stiffer competition, so I really have a hard time understanding this "Inaccuracy" talk. As far as the number of interceptions he has thrown...yes, he threw more INTs than anyone else in the top 10 for completion percentage...however, only Falk had more pass attempts than Watson. The #3 guy on the list had 110 less pass attempts than Deshaun. Im pretty sure Watson would look much more accurate had his schedule been filled with Lamar, Tulsa, Texas St., Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane...you get the point.

I absolutely think it's a silly argument to say that Watson has an accuracy issue. Among his peers, as well as comparing him to a guy like Schaub, he ranks right up there with them as far as being accurate, whether you want to look at completion percentage or interception rate. Im also confident with some emphasis on footwork, he can improve his velocity and accuracy (if they are not up some people's standards).

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most of Clutchfans would have been happy if the Texans traded for Jimmy G. Many think the Texans made a mistake not picking him and making him their franchise QB. Well here are his weakness from his draft profile. See if you notice anything interesting.

WEAKNESSES
    Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm sorry, but this goes against the narrative, he is the best NFL QB through 6 quarters. Please delete this post. I would give up next year's 1st and 2nd for Jimmy G, but doing it for Watson upsets me.. It's more risk.