1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Watkins] JBB credits defense for change, and Howard discusses "Unhappy" rumors further

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 23, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

JBB points to a renewed fockass on defense as difference --which first apparent in the LAC game, and Howard basically says Yes, everyone was unhappy with their play, and once again shooting down Sheridan's rumor that it was more than that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-roc...ar-if-from-the-horses-mouth-then-it-aint-true

#1 heypartner, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I still love my team. i may get frustrated and throw things, but I always come back. I love my team.

3. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

well said dwight

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

sheridan's multiple sources strike out again!

5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I love Houston

6. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Disagree. Dwight's grammar could use some work. :grin:

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He has still not said he is happy with his role. He keeps dodging that sentence.

I think he is/was unhappy about his role, but he never told anyone and he doesn't want to go public with it when the team is in distress.

Since reports say JB is working on getting him into PNR with James, I think he might be ok. It was ridiculously stupid of the team to relegate him to the role of garbage man. Dwight is great in the post against at least half the teams in the NBA, and fantastic in the PNR against the whole NBA. That inside threat is what helps our 3's go in, and you have to act on that threat or teams will ignore it and crowd 3 point shooters. He should not just be cleaning up this team's mess.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Dwight's right, but truth is the horse never speaks publicly about these things. In Orlando, he personally never said anything it was all agents.

I believe him though. Sheridan just threw all this **** against the wall, hoping it'd stick.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He does kind of have a horse face, but I didn't want to say anything...

10. basketballholic

Yup. Agreed.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I can't recall a time in the last 5 years that Sheridan has been correct on something not obvious.

I still haven't forgiven him for his "I promise you we won't have a lockout" speech

12. heypartner

Nice how you take the comment out of context to match your narrative.

JBB says the key was defensive fockass. And watching that game, that drove our up-tempo transition offense to produce your "non play call, free form action" possessions. Just like last year. And if you read the game thread, that's what everyone was saying as well.

Defensive fockass leads to fun possessions, teamwork and makes everyone happy. That's where we are seeing more quick hit PnR with Howard has a trailer, before the defense can get set to clog it.

But you can read it your way, too, if you must. I've been saying the key since JBB is slowly returning to defensive intensity. He confirmed that in his quotes.

13. No Chill Rocket

His post game too lol

14. heypartner

Tying this comment about defense being the key to JBB's comment about working on PnR chemistry between Howard and Harden, it makes sense that JBB would focus on fixing the defense first, since we get so many non-play, free-form action from team unity on the defensive side.

Specific to the PnR of late, I see the work on set-offense, PnRs showing up in games in four ways, so far.
    1. In starting set with a double high post that can convert to a PnR, after primary option of Harden going straight down the lane. I've forgetting the names for that action. This action of using the PnR as a secondary option, not only gets the defense to react to 2 other options first, but takes them out of their planned PnR defense, if Harden converts to that.
    2. JBB is showing signs of inverting the classic PnR for Howard/Harden, which it seems he previously only did with the Capela high PnR. Howard's pick gives Harden the lane/middle, vs a pick towards the wing, whereby Howard rolls down the lane. I believe this is because the more classic way of rolling down the lane was getting clogged way to much. And when Harden goes down the lane, JBB is positioning Capela on the low-block as weakside alley-oop threat should the help defense stop both Harden and Howard.
    3. We are starting the PnR as an option out of the Harden post-up, to bring the play closer to the basket, while also giving Harden the post-up option. Harden will get an entry and Howard will sometimes provide a down-pick for Harden to dribble around high, and Howard dives to the basket.
    4. This usually isn't called a PnR, but the Howard hand-off screen from the elbow does give Harden a pick and does get Howard rolling. That's pretty recent, too.

So, when we hear JBB say "we are working on PnR chemistry," it is more than a simplistic statement regarding timing of way type of PnR. He seems to have abandoned Howard going down the middle from a set-play against set defense, albeit that's still a powerful weapon from secondary transition as Howard as trailer.

15. hakeemthagreat

Dwight's great in the post when he has his defender pinned under the basket. This happens for a span of about 2-3 seconds in which the guard misses him 95% of the time. The last few games we've been hitting him. But if we can keep doing this and he keeps hitting his ft's everybody's happy.

16. heypartner

The last 2-3 games?

Well, it's easy to look this up, and we can see.
    r
    vs LAL 3 games ago
    We hit Dwight with defender pinned under the basket 4 times for a FGA.
    Unfortunately, Dwight was 0-4 on that possession

http://on.nba.com/1mAV6ZR

vs LAC we did great. So that's one game for sure.

vs CHA last game
    We only found Dwight once in a pin for a FGA, and he missed it. The last attempt is not really a pin, as Terry comes to stand with Dwight as a way to force the fronting defense.

http://on.nba.com/1mAVJ5Q

So, in two of the last three games, Dwight was 0-5 when we found him for a pin. Now, maybe he had his opp pinned more and we missed him (that requires more effort to view video), but you were talking about how successful we've been lately.

I've shown repeatedly that we did this quite often before, with vids from both the Nov 27th and Nov 29th games, and there are more times.

We've been successful in spurts in the past, and not successful just recently. Basically, our success at the pin continues to be erratic and inconsistent. I don't get this narrative that finding Howard in a pin with success is something new, as it wasn't in 2 of the last 3 games for sure.