1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

watching your favorite tv series with friends or by yourself?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Sep 5, 2011.

?

watch favorite tv series with

1. me, myself and i

62 vote(s)
    91.2%
  2. a group of people at your house eating your bbq and drinking your beer

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because I have the best tv of the group,
    I decided to invited some people over to watch [insert favorite showtime series on bluray].

I'm now regretting my decision, you have people talking or making stupid comments during important scenes. people's cell phones going off.

people asking really dumb questions ("Who is this character?" -after seeing the same character in 4 straight episodes)

also, you are being kind not to watch the later episodes and wait for the group to have time to come over.

to be or not to be

2. Yao11

Yao11 Member

Always, always, always watch it alone. That way if I need to rewind a particular scene, I can do it without any complaints.

Plus, it's always more peaceful watching your favorite shows alone. I get really annoyed when people make dumb comments whether it's about a show or film.

3. conquistador#11

which tv series do you make them watch? clutch city 93-94 world champions?

I don't think I could watch a show with more than two women. that's where I draw the line.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Alone or with significant other

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I love great writing, great acting, etc. A well-done film or TV show can be a pretty powerful thing, and I like to get absorbed in that thing.

I HATE HATE HATE watching stuff with people who don't feel the same way for all the reasons you listed: talking, dumb questions, cell phones, etc. Other people can (and often do) completely ruin the experience.

I was ready to throw someone out of my house for all the comments made about how Aragorn et al needed a bath and Pantene during a LOTR viewing. It still irritates me to think about it.

I know I'm particular about this sort of thing and that some people experience this stuff differently than others. For this reason, I watch alone....at least for the first viewing, anyway.

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Outside of sports, watching shows alone is so much better.

A comedy: overly loud laughing/clapping while laughing makes you miss the next joke

A drama (lost for example): people like to ask the stupidest questions, and often times when you watch in a group there is always 1 person who hasn't kept up, so asks so many questions that you have no chance to watch.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Since I have DVR I have no complaints with watching it in a huge group.

8. aghast

aghast Member

[rquoter]"The remarkable thing about television is that it permits several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
    --T.S. Eliot[/rquoter]
    Alone. Communally alone.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

alone. just like i like my movies.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I like watching my shows with friends that are also invested in the same show; Its fun to bounce ideas and opinions off other people. Wouldn't watch a FAVORITE show with someone that is apathetic about it.

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

Depends. I usually don't mind watching with others, as long as they don't ask a million questions or laugh too loud/long. And I refuse to watch with channel flippers.

For my favorites though, if you disturb me, I will destroy you and everything you hold dear. Sit next to me at your own risk.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I mostly enjoy shows by myself. Program viewing is kinda like book reading for me, a solo job. But I don't try to make it into "me time" every single time.

I'd get VERY aggravated when I'm watching shows and sports and my sister would keep pouring on the silly questions. Would snap at her for that, detracting away from immersing myself into the viewing experience.

Learned I probably did MORE to turn her OFF to the programs than actually helped gain in appreciation. I'da actually rather struck a common bond than be all different. (The complete opposite of all this hipster sh** going on on now) .

(Basically, YOU yourself can look like an insufferable "OHMSS" if you take it TOO seriously). In the end, its just entertainment for everyone to enjoy together

13. what

what Member

Friends? What are those? I heard of such things.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Usually like to watch them by myself so I can focus but re-watches I prefer watching with others. I'm doing a rewatch of Breaking Bad while my brother is watching it for the first time. It's fun watching him get surprised by all the twists of the story and such.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I watched THE WIRE with a friend and it was awesome.

16. Garner

Garner Member

Yep. Never risk a chatty kathy in house.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

18. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Sounds like your friends suck. When I watched shows with friends, we all were respectful enough of each other to watch quietly (you can laugh at something funny, gasp at something surprising, etc., just no talking) and save the conversations for the commercials or after the show. If someone's cell phone rang, it is easy enough to pause the show for a couple of minutes (same for bathroom breaks). Sharing the experience with others can certainly increase the enjoyment.

20. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I like watching everything alone. At least the first time.

On the flip side, one of my favorite things to do is watch a movie with friends and give it the MST3K treatment.

Just depends on my mood.