1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching League Pass with VPN (Need help)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidRocket, Oct 8, 2013.

1. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Forgive me but I'm not very well versed with slingbox other than the fact that I've heard of it before.

what hypathetical set up are you suggesting. What are all the components I will need to make this work?

If i'm in the Houston area (which I am) how would I set up a slingbox outside of the area?

2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Would you expound on the "not ideal" part? Is it choppy? Picture quality? etc?

Please share your experiences. Thanks!

3. dvr4me

dvr4me Contributing Member

No problem downloading Lavasoft AdAware-did a scan-found no threats, etc. I have Trend Titanium. I might try privateinternetaccess that was mentioned in another post. Thanks for the help!

4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

CyberGhostVPN works great for me with ILP. The free version will give you an LA or DC IP. If you need to lift your bandwidth cap uninstall the free version and they will offer you a 20$/yr version

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I currently have SpotFlux VPN and it works well for a Free VPN. However, it slows down my connection. Does the privateinternetaccess.com slow down connection? I don't mind paying for it if I won't see much of a performance dropoff.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Superantispyware and malwarebytes are both good ones too. I use both when I sense an issue. Better safe than sorry.

7. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Just upgrade your phone to the awesome Note 3 and get NBA League Pass mobile for only $49.99 ($39.99 for Sprint customers). That's what I plan on doing.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I've had problems with it. It's what prompted me to find a paid VPN service.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Nope, their servers are actually extremely reliable and my internet connection speed doesn't drop dramatically.

10. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

LP Mobile doesn't air all of the games that are being televised on National TV. and that's a lot of Rockets games

11. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Ok thanks for the information. I'll consider it.

On a side note, I did some searching last night and came across a couple of free HD quality sports streaming sites. One of them is this one:

http://hdlivestream.blogspot.com/

I watched some preseason games and the Dynamo Game (CSN Houston) on it and the quality was decent.

Would it be possible for you to check out some sample streams off that site and let us (me) know the quality drop-off from Broadband League Pass?

Thanks!

12. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

For this to work, you would need a family member or friend outside of the Houston area with a cable box that has a spare TV. Slingbox allows you to take over the tv as if you were there.

13. Manos

Manos Member

I've been using Astrill.com on a free week trial with ILP and it works very well. Not choppy, high definition, lots of proxies to choose from. Price is a bit steep though, like $80 for a year worth of service. I am going to test Ballstream.com (which is around $80 for a year also) on the Rocket's next US played game on a one day purchase, $7.99. I'll post an update in this thread after and let you know which one worked better.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Is there any way to get around blackout restrictions on an iPad?

There is a $50 league pass mobile which I would rather purchase than the full $190.

15. Manos

Manos Member

Thought I'd reply to the thread since I finally tried out Ballstreams. Worked well, I watched the game stream via a Roku box last night and watched the archived game on my pc this morning. The HD feed at home on Roku was great, watched in 720, no lagging or pixelating. Signed up for $55 and that will carry me through the entire season. I liked it better than ILP and using a foreign proxy service. You will need a decent internet connection to watch in HD though, at work I tested it on Speakeasy.com and download was a pitiful 2.0 mbps, had to watch the archive in LD, still worked fine without buffering. At home have 20.0 mbps and watched in HD, looked great, no issues. Hope this helps.

16. dvr4me

Thanks, I've been considering Ballstreams, was hoping the CSN problem would get worked out-if it doesn't, then I'll go to Ballstreams.

17. TexanCowgirl

TexanCowgirl Member

Ballstream is awesome for now. Much better picture quality than LP.

18. javi720

javi720 New Member

I've been tossing and turning over this issue.

Option A: go to buffalo wild wings there and watch the Csn games there until a miraculous decision is made.
    Option B: vpn and league pass (would have to upgrade internet)
    Option c: watch crappy but free streams
    Option d:: slingbox my friends TV(lives far)..is there a slingbox model where he can still watch TV?
    Option e: buy season tickets and drive downtown to from Katy(most expensive option)
    Any other options? Comcast does not do business on my street for some odd reason.

19. dvr4me

I've done A,C, and this year E. I was lucky and bought season tickets before they signed D. Howard. A lot of people are going with Ballstreams. We have NBA LP too and I think we're going to try it. I will NEVER go with Comcast!! Hoping it all works out before season starts.

20. alcatrazpsycho