1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching a person take their last breath

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Aug 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. yobod

yobod Member

I know how you feel...when i was 20 my father had a stroke and at the hospital he was pronounced brain dead, so it was up to my mom and I to decide if we wanted to pull the breathing machine out. So we literally had to watch him take his last breaths, probably the hardest thing ive ever had to experience.

Just know that he was surrounded by loved ones, and he left as peacefully as one could. Things will be better in the end. My condolences to you and your family.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to witness a state execution in Huntsville. I did not know the either party involved in the case, but I was there due to some contacts I have with the state of Texas. Anyways, I digress.

When that last moment comes, its strangely captivating. I left that day, a changed man. I wasn't sure if capital punishment is the right or wrong thing to do, but I learned one thing. When you stare death down its face, you appreciate life a whole lot more.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Our prayers are with you and your family. :( +

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had an almost identical situation with my own mother about three years ago. It is a hard thing, and I will send my prayers. My mom was happy about receiving the same kind of assurances that we would all stay close even if she was gone, and be there for one another.

Anyway, best of luck. It is a lot to try and comprehend. It is good that there are a number of you that can lean on each other through this time.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

One of my fellow church members took his Dad to visit his Mom in the hospital just this past Monday. Father and son went to the cafeteria to grab a quick lunch. When they came back his Mom (and his Dad's wife of 71 years) had passed.

My own dad passed away about 4 years ago at Houston Memorial Hospital. They woke him about 4 AM to take his vital signs. They took some of them, then stepped out to their cart to get some apparatus or other and he had passed away in just those few seconds.

I'm sad that he was "alone" when he passed but I'm so relieved that he didn't struggle at the end...

I've not been there at the end yet for anyone that I know and love. I hope I'm the first...

6. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Whoa, I live in Clear Lake too. Small world...

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Saturday was his memorial mass and today was a small service for him in Orange TX where his mother still lives.

I'm impressed how well my 5 year old daughter has taken the whole thing. Other than crying a little at the mass she has been very mature & understanding about the whole thing. Makes me glad I included her in the process of saying goodbye.

I'm ready to sit by the pool and drink all day on Monday. Try to get back to normal. :)