1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watch Out for Centerpoint

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Jun 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I work for an electric provider and we just went over the new rules ERCOT is putting in place starting Monday. Some interesting stuff, and it may affect you as a consumer.

* Rates for everything a TDSP (the wires company, like Centerpoint) does will go up, some of them pretty significantly. Stuff like turning your electricity on, reconnect, switches, etc.

* They've capped the number of estimated meter reads that can be done (except because of denial of access) by the TDSP at 3. And, when they get that meter read, they will cancel the old estimates and then spread the actual usage over the estimated months. It probably won't affect what you pay, but you'll get some confusuing lines on your bill where they subtract off usages and add on new usages.

* When the meter man can reach your meter (denial of access (DOA), he'll leave you a note saying he couldn't read it and to call your retail electric provider (REP). When you call the REP, they won't know anything about it because it is the TDSP's business. The REP will get a notice several days later. After 3 such DOAs, the TDSP will turn off your power. So, you'll call the REP, as instructed, and the REP will give you the TDSP's number. You don't get the TDSP number on the flier because they don't have the call centers to handle the volume, so they push the work (and the blame) off on the REPs.

* The TDSP will only turn you back on only when they are satisfied the DOA is fixed. Then, they might put in a fancy meter they can read by radio from the street and bill you a couple hundred bucks for it (the PUC requires them to upgrade the meters, and this way they can have you pay for it). Plus, they'll charge a disconnect fee, a reconnect fee, and a DOA penalty fee. And the disconnect and reconnect fees will be at a premium ($100 to $300) because they have to do it at the pole instead of at your meter. They won't tell you about the charges; they'll just show up on the bill from your REP.

So, be nice to your meter man.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Is there any way you can get charged for actual usage? I don't see the point in trying to conserve and save money when I don't really even know what I am using and neither does the electric companies. I think homes should have easy to read meters inside where you easily keep track of actual usage.