1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Watch all Rockets games no matter where you are

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt78777, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

So I go to school in vermont and it has been killing me not being to watch every game. PP live never seems to work for me, the downloads from this site are nice but its not the same as watching a live feed. So I continued my search and this is what I came up with. Has anyone heard of a sling box? It's kind of like tivo. The way it works is you set it up on a tv and it sends the broadcast over the net to your computer (which must have the slingbox software and be hooked into the internet). So in my case, I would set it up at my parents house in Houston, and I could watch the Rockets from Vermont, or anywhere else in the world from my computer.

The drawbacks are that you need broadband internet, the picture is not great but good enough (framerate never drops even at slow connection). Also, a sling box costs $250. It's steep, but I think its worth it, especially since there are no subscription fees. I haven't gotten one yet, I'm trying to get my parents to buy it for an early christmas gift so I can set it up over thanksgiving. Just thought I should let people know of this option in case they had the same problem I do and needed a christmas/channukah/kwanzaa gift idea. I'll tell you how it works when I get it. Here are some sites with more info if anyone cares.

Cnet.com Review

amazon.com sling box

2. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

yeah, supposed to kick ass

sounded pretty cool on the jim rome show

3. ghost

ghost Member

I am thinking about getting one as well. It will come in handy for March Madness. Rack me, I'm out!!

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I watch on streamtvnow.com
    I think they have the same techonology. The picture is decent

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I watch on NBA League Pass.

6. user

user Member

In that case, a TV capture card should do the work.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Everytime slingbox gets mentioned, Uprising pipes up with www.orb.com which he says does the same thing that slingbox does without shelling out $250 for the hardware. You just need a TV tuner.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It's what I use to watch TV wherever I'm at. Only problem is only one person can watch at a time and I can't really share to others my TV feed which kind of sucks.

I have my PDA that I watch it on in crucial moments when I can't get to a TV but i'm near a wireless connection.

Soon I'm going to get a phone with bluetooth and edge support to provide my PDA the connection it needs at all times so I never miss a rockets game.

I only shelled out about 70 bucks for a TV tuner card. I believe there is an ATI tuner card on sale right now for 49.99 after 20 rebate that will work as well with ORB.

check www.techbargains.com for the tuner card.

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

You watch tv from your pda? what kind of pda is that?