1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Washington Times] Prince charles to target US attitude toward Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Oct 31, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Is this merely a 'PR' move? I disagree with him about the US leadership being too 'intolerant' of Muslims after the 9/11 attacks. I think he's just interested in painting himself in a positive light and regaining his rep after the whole Diana fiasco (trying to polish his image more or less, because the world loved Diana). Personally, I think President Bush has said all the right things, so I am not sure what Charles is talking about...

Honestly, after the Diana 'accident', my opinion of the Royals is at an all-time low (not to mention Prince Harry's affection for the Nazis).

Anyways, here's the article:

http://washingtontimes.com/world/20051030-115534-6734r.htm

Charles to target U.S. attitude toward Islam

LONDON -- Prince Charles will try to convince President Bush of the merits of Islam this week because he thinks the United States has been too intolerant of the religion since September 11, 2001.
    The prince, who leaves tomorrow for an eight-day tour of the United States, has voiced private concerns over Washington's "confrontational" approach to Muslim countries and its failure to appreciate what he regards as Islam's strengths.
    The prince raised his concerns when he met senior Muslims in London in November 2001. The gathering took place two months after the attacks on New York and Washington.
    "I find the language and rhetoric coming from America too confrontational," the prince said, according to one leader at the meeting.
    It is understood that Prince Charles did not -- and does not -- believe that the actions of 19 hijackers should tarnish the reputation of hundreds of millions of law-abiding Muslims around the world.
    "His criticism of America was a general one of the Americans not having the appreciation we have for Islam and its culture," said Khalid Mahmood, a Labor Party member of Parliament who attended the meeting.
    Mr. Mahmood and other Muslims stressed that Prince Charles did not criticize the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001. More recently, he has been careful not to express his views on Iraq.
    The prince also spoke of his sympathy for the United States after the terrorist attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 persons. He said he wanted to promote better relations among the religions of the world.
    Those present at the meeting in 2001 included Sir Iqbal Sacrani, the secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, and Hashir Faruqi, the chief editor of Impact International, a respected Islamic affairs magazine.
    Prince Charles, who is about to embark on his first official foreign tour since his marriage to the Duchess of Cornwall, wants Americans -- including Mr. Bush -- to share his fondness for Islam. He has agreed to attend a seminar on religions at Georgetown University on Thursday, the only event where he will not be accompanied by the duchess.
    "The seminar will look at how faith groups can alleviate social problems in their community," a royal aide said.
    The prince and duchess will attend a lunch and dinner with President Bush and his wife, Laura, at the White House on Wednesday.
    Prince Charles has done more than any other member of the royal family in history to understand Islam. He said in 1994 that when he became supreme governor of the Church of England, he would rather be "defender of faiths" than "defender of the faith."
    A year earlier Prince Charles made a speech, acclaimed throughout the Arab world, on relations between Islam and the West. He urged the West to overcome its "unthinkable prejudices" about Islam and its customs and laws.
    He spoke warmly of what he called the West's debt to the culture of Islam and distanced moderate Muslims from militants. "Extremism is no more the monopoly of Islam than it is the monopoly of other religions, including Christianity," he said.
    A senior aide to Prince Charles said Saturday: "The prince has never promoted political messages around religion. He has simply said that he wants a greater tolerance and understanding of each other's religions, which will, in turn, promote better relations between faiths."
    Prince Charles has been wooing the U.S. media ahead of the tour to New York, Washington and San Francisco. It is considered a risky venture because Princess Diana, who died eight years ago, was so widely admired in the United States.
    In an interview recorded for broadcast last night in the United States on CBS' "60 Minutes," he spoke of his desire to enrich people's lives through his work. "I only hope that when I am dead and gone they might appreciate it a little more," he said.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Dude, your comment about Harry in a Nazi costume... come on, he doesn't like the Nazis, he was a kid who did something stupid... he's not the coming of the 4th Reich.

On the muslim issue, the UK's open door policy on Muslim extremists didn't exactly work out well did it? I'm sure there are some ways the US can improve Muslim relations, but a Muslim leader calling for the extinction of our allies doesn't exactly make it easy.

3. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I equate 'Prince' Charles' opinion with that of Barbara Streisand and other people whose opinions are irrelevant to me.

I would probably respect more what some actor said because at least they had some talent and work to get to where they are rather than being born and therefore one's opinion matters.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I think what Charles said is jolly good.

we have to stop equating a religion that is followed by billions and billions of peaceful, intelligent people with the acts of the lunatics and autocrats.

Once they stop feeling we're targeting islam itself...maybe fewer will be so hestant to denounce the looney ones.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you think "Bush has said all the right things," no wonder you're not sure what Charles is talking about! :)

Keep D&D Civil.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We're not the ones doing it, the lunatics and autocrats are declaring themselves the true followers of Islam.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

and Pat Robertson and his ilk say they are true followers of Christianity.....yet i wouldnt' want to continually read that 'christians think this' and quote him....because it just ain't so.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Note to Prince Charles:

Your opinion ceased being important in 1776.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn straight! Now we're getting somewhere!

Keep D&D Civil.

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Actually the U.S. started telling the British what to do after 1945. Something about bailing their butts and the rest of Western Europe out of this little war. The British showed the gratitude and have been good lads ever since at following the U.S.'s directions. The French on the other hand are an ungrateful lot who constantly fart in our general direction.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Billions and billions would imply at least 4 billion followers. There are in fact less than 2 billion Muslims. Carry on.

12. tigermission1

LOL! Exactly, the royals are such a waste (except for Diana, may she RIP)

13. tigermission1

The British are our b****.

Carry on...

14. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

and it's more then a little bitty tiny minority that supports them amongst those billion.

#14 NewYorker, Oct 31, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

There aren't any Fanatical Christian groups across the globe strapping bombs on themselves and walking into mosques to blow themselves up. Christians aren't hijacking planes and crashing them into skyscrapers in Cairo or bombing trains in Malaysia. President Bush isn't calling for us to wipe Palestine off the map. Indian Christian terrorists aren't bombing markets in Karachi. Russia isn't fending off Christian separtist freedom fighters who attack schools in Moscow. The Phillipines don't have Christians bombing nightclubs that Muslims tourist like to frequent. Christians are not beheading Muslims girls on their way home from school.

Are you beginning to understand why people are equating Islam with violence? I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying that's what Islam means. But there's something going on...I don't know if there's some kind of weird interpretation of the Koran or what....but I always thought religions were violent things. But this is getting ridiculous.