1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Washington Police Fatally Shoot Man as He Throws Rock and Runs Away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BullRider, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Nero

Nero Member

SMH

Some of these typical 'F da PO-leese' threads make it pretty clear many of you folks neither know any police nor have any understanding of what they do and what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

I myself was one of the people who knew very little about what that kind of life is like, until I actually dated a female HPD officer for a few years.

So, while I would be the last person to tell you that all police officers are angels, I do have at least a little bit of insight to the situation, based on what I have been told over time, as well as what I have directly seen.

First, when it comes to danger or POTENTIAL danger, to themselves or any citizen who may be in danger from a suspect, the police DO NOT MESS AROUND. It's serious. If there is even the SLIGHTEST notion that there is legitimate danger, the number one priority is ELIMINATE THE IMMEDIATE THREAT, worry about the fallout after.

Guys, this is why, when the police say 'Stop', or 'Get on the ground', or 'Lift your hands in the air' or whatever else they may happen to say, YOU DO IT, IMMEDIATELY, and this is NOT OPTIONAL.

Had the guy in the video done as he had been instructed by the police, he would be alive right now. The only person responsible for his death is himself. That is clear, especially from watching the video at the end when he made a clear gesture both as though he was 'reaching for something' as well as a gesture 'back toward the officers'. The guy may as well have put a gun to his own head and pulled the trigger.

Second, the LAST thing any police officer wants to do is shoot someone. They will if they HAVE to, but they will go out of their way to avoid it if at all possible. I have seen this girl come home covered in bruises and contusions, from where she would be forced to have to fight with some crackhead because they would not listen, would not cooperate, or would decide they should fight, because 'she's just a girl'. (On a side note guys, as most of the 'bad guys' out there will tell you - the cops they are truly most afraid of is the female cops, because they especially don't mess around. They know they are naturally more vulnerable, and are much more ready to use force than the male cops.)

Third, these people are surrounded by scumbags, all the time, every hour, every day of their work lives. The stress they are under is unbelievable. Constantly under intense scrutiny from above, and constantly under hateful ire from uninformed loudmouths among the general public.. (I believe it is the stupid loudmouth 'hate da poleese' morons who get these kids killed by teaching them they don't have to obey the police.)

It is almost impossible to live that life and NOT be emotionally and physically scarred by it.

Yes, many police officers have 'issues', of all kinds. And yes, some of them are bad people. The vast majority of them are extremely good people though, and if you are ever in danger, or need the help of one of them, you will be glad they are there for you.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At least they didn't they you were a terrorist trying to board a plane. Can't wait to hear the story. Gimme a call if you end up this way.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

What if the victim didn't understand English?

4. Nero

Nero Member

The police already had him in hand at the beginning of the video - he wrestled himself away, threw another rock, then ran away. Doesn't matter what language he spoke, he knew who they were and knew what he was doing.

My guess - drugs, mentally ill, or suicidal.

None of those three situations means the police are not allowed to use force if they deem it necessary. In fact, any one of those three makes the situation infinitely more dangerous.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's just not true. And before you frantically search for some link about a cop who 'got off', keep looking for cops who were punished as well.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true. Perhaps that's just how they say hello where he is from.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Let's be realistic here. Police officers have the respect of and relationships with DA's, judges and Prosecutors. to say they don't have an advantage over a civilian would be naive. Being an Officer of the law makes you part of a brotherhood and with that come some extra privileges (Free food isn't the only thing).

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't need to "frantically search" lol. The killing of Eric Garner, Tamir Rice and John Crawford III are just within the last year. The prosecutor completely controls the grand jury indictment process and also needs to maintain a friendly relationship with the police.

You do realize that acting stupid is not reason enough to shoot someone? Police fire too early and often in this country. They are here to protect and deescalate situations. I am not defending the civilian's actions but the he was not endangering the lives of the police or any bystanders. Cops should and do have the right to defend themselves and others but that is not what happened here.

9. ths balla

ths balla Member

Im all for cops taking all other avenues first before using excessive force but at what point are we going to tell people to STOP RESISTING ARREST. I have not read a story yet were a person willfully accepted being arrested and in turn were shot.

I have dealt with a situation where the cop was dead wrong on what happened but by keeping my cool in a hostile environment, all I got was a ticket that was later dismissed.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm all for cops being held to higher standards than the people they're harassing.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think the whole "stop resisting arrest" is a cop-out answer. Call me crazy, but I don't think somebody deserves to be shot or killed for resisting arrest. Now this situation is a bit more understandable since he was throwing rocks and challenging them. But the simple excuse of "well if people stopped resisting arrest they wouldn't be shot" is sickening to me. Because if the cop doesnt shoot somebody resisting arrest, he wouldn't be stuck in that situation either.

Yes, if you don't resist arrest, that lowers any confrontation. But if you make that mistake and do resist, shooting/killing them in not a justifiable solution. Cooler heads need to prevail.

1 person likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Cops will do everything to ensure their safety first and that is what they have been trained to do. If it's at the expense of some dude who is showing restraint or not obeying their orders so be it.

This country needs more people who obey the law and listen to the cops. If you don't you risk your life. Cops should continue taking the required action to make people aware that they are the authority and what they say goes.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

What you are describing is a Police State.

1 person likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Is there a policy for police when dealing with a threat that has their back turned or fleeing? Serious question.

16. Nook

Nook Member

In MOST jurisdictions the DA wants to be on good talking terms with the police department. However I can tell you from personal experience that is not always the case. There is less intermingling than you would think. The police department often times feels that the DA doesn't as zealously prosecute as they should, and the DA often feels that the police have compromised their case or did not investigate it in a manner that they want.

Still your point is valid, an officer that shoots someone and goes to trial, usually will have their case properly defended and investigated. Also, what gets lost sometimes is that there are often strict and fast rules on use of deadly force and the police department is well aware of what the law is. So the DA sometimes will look at the facts and see a clear and proper use of force and know that under the law a conviction is unlikely. The media coverage is a double edged sword though, the DA will often put more time into the case to get a conviction.

It is a very uncomfortable and odd situation for everyone involved from the dead person's family, to the officer, to the police department, to the DA to the community.

I suspect that eventually you will have efforts to make a federal body have more control over the investigation AND prosecution.

17. conquistador#11

the rocks could have easily been mistaken with grenades.
    =/

18. Nero

Nero Member

From Merriam-Webster:

"Full Definition of POLICE STATE

: a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures
    "

So, in fact, what he described is nothing like a 'Police State'.

I get it that you don't like cops, but I am telling you, if a police officer instructs you to put your hands behind your head, or to get down on the ground, or to not move, or whatever, then you better damn well do exactly as he says, and not because it's some kind of boogeyman police state, but because it is the LAW. If you do anything OTHER than exactly as the officer instructs, because you don't want to be controlled by THE MAN, or whatever, and violence ensues, then the only person to blame is YOU. PERIOD.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Calm yourself. I don't hate cops, I don't hate Plumbers, landscapers, or anyone who doesn't need a college degree to do their profession. The main issue to me IS the law. If the Police understood and used to the law correctly I wouldn't have any issues but the fact is sometime Police DO NOT understand or use the law correctly.

I hold myself accountable for my own safety and believe everyone should. Police aren't here to protect you. They are here to keep order in theory. I've stated plenty of times that if you rely on the Police to take care of you you will be disappointed more times than not.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

All authority needs checks of some sort. It's actually a basic tenet of our government.

If you don't want people to be anti-police, you should also want the police to live up to certain standards instead of dismissing real concerns by citizens as "SMH, you dumb cop haters".