1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Washed up" Chris Paul is the best clutch player in the NBA and will be in All-Star Game this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DonatelloLimestone

Fair enough, then that offseason we could've ran it back as we should've, even one more year. We ignored TPE, MLE, all our bird rights, sold off assets focusing on getting under the tax then riding the championship window we were in. Thats what went wrong in 2019, 2020 we all saw.

darksoul35, D-rock and YOLO like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

Even if he stayed healthy, Wood is a fringe all star caliber player at best. You’re right though. He’s gone after this contract unless the Rockets seriously over pay

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't know how you can look at the Wood signing as anything but positive. His talent level and production are far higher than the salary we pay him. He's 25 years old and has been professional in the locker room. Even with his injuries this year, which really helped us tank, he's a good potential trade asset.

If he continues to be injured then his signing is neutral at worst because it has no long-term consequences to the rebuild process. If he is healthy and plays well we can either re-sign him (unlikely) or trade him to a team whose timeline he fits. I think he's gone either this upcoming trade deadline or next year's offseason, but I'm sure as hell happy we signed him to have that option.

4. DonatelloLimestone

Lol, harden had the leverage. We wasted his years while the league had load management acceptable for stars, he never sat. Played crazy minutes, useage for year in and year out. Finally, after watching cleveland over pay Klove, Jr, Tristan bc thats what you do when you have a generaltional talent in championship window, furthermore Raptors paying Marc Gasol 50 million while aging just for one year of leonards window and the bounce went their way and the rest is history.

Harden on the other hand would come back to his locker in 2019 in January after 39 minute game to see their Ariza Replacement, Daniel House get cut for 2 months while in our rotation soley for tax issues.

Then a month later, the other Ariza replacement, James Ennis was traded for a top 55 protected pick, no players in return.

Carmelo, the third arizza replacement hadn't played after the first 10 games, but we were saving his minimum contract rather than cutting it so we can trade him for...tax purposes.

Does that sound like a winning culture or even on par for competing teams?

The cuclmination of their careers is 3-5 year short window, then thats it. Harden, lke JJ watt, had invested in houston. Moved his family, had an active foudnation, bought not rented here....heck he had a rockets themed restaurant opening this year. this wasn't a guy itching to leave, neither was our GM, President who all left MILLIONs on the table...guess how many times that happens on the league? Then ad our Coach, ASsociate hea coach, stars, and vets....and guess what? devin Booker would demand a trade too

"'I educated [Davis] on why I thought the team wouldn't be . . . ' He paused. 'All athletes are competitive and confident, until reality sets in. And I educated him on things.'"

Paul laid out what superstars need to see from teams to give a long-term commitment.

"You either need your team in place, or you need flexibility, assets, money, and the ability to make decisions. And, more important, the willingness to pay the [luxury] tax ... This ain't 'Moneyball.'"

Paul was referring to a team either being ready to compete, having future flexibility to improve the team, and being willing to pay the so-called luxury tax for spending over the salary cap. According to Chotiner, the Pelicans were not willing to pay it at the time and thus kept their payroll below a certain level.

This is now a players league. The owners don't generate the revenue, the players do. The owners are replaceable and onyl offer finances. So if tilman doesn't hcange his way, No 1A stars will consider us, those who we draft will leave for better pastures.

Then to add to that, the owner takes the mike in 2019 after cheaping out on a team, demands a better results with a cheaper product. Then has the gal to tell a Chris Paul-notoriously feisty leader- that Tilman is going to teach them a killer fighting culture.

What a joke.

amaru and D-rock like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

The rockets flat out suck. They'd be the worst team tank or no tank. That didn't matter. what's positive about it? They signed him to a 3 year deal on a rebuilding team. He got gifted starter minutes and ended up missing a ton of the season being injury prone. He'll be like 27/28 when its done if he's still a rocket and they'll still likely suck. His timeline is literally the opposite of what the rockets are right now. He's gone either before his deal is over or he's walking for a much better team/opportunity like i mentioned earlier. Rockets are nothing more than a stepping stone at the right time for him. Trade assets mean nothing when the owner of your team is Tilman. We've seen that for years now

#765 YOLO, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    amaru likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

I don't understand why you need to denigrate Wood's game. We didn't gift him starter minutes, he played well in Detroit and here and is productive enough to earn those minutes on his own. I also believe his timeline does not match with our rebuilding process, but he is young and talented enough to be a trade chip for additional draft capital. That's a positive for us. What would be the benefit in not signing him, an extra $14M per year in Tilman's pocket?

I'm no fan of Tilman but I am not so pessimistic that I'll spin anything that could benefit the team into a negative. At that point why even bother rooting for the Rockets anymore? It clearly brings you no joy. I'm also not going to pretend that all mismanagement we've seen the past few years is guaranteed to continue forever. I'm reminded of those Phoenix fans who wore paper bags over their heads at Suns games, so embarrassed they were at Robert Sarver's cheapness. He bought the Suns in 2004 and promptly traded away every first round draft pick for luxury tax savings, basically destroying any chance they had to win a title during the Nash era. Sarver's still there and I wonder if those fans are still that pessimistic. Who knows how long it'll be before they can contend again.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

He played well on a sorry team in detroit with no direction for a limited number of games. He was literally on the cusp of being out the league just before. Yes he got gifted minutes on a team who was forced to give away their center bc they had westbrick. So there goes that gaping hole and stepping stone. Again the trade chip mention literally doesn't matter when you have Tilman as the owner

amaru likes this.
  8. MrButtocks

If nothing matters while Tilman is owner why are you here? Masochism?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

To continue to laugh at Tilman and bump all the folks who wanted to say I told you so for years since the 17-18 season ended. They're getting what they asked for

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Right now???

He's been that for a good while now.

amaru likes this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

It amazing how a lot of Rockets fan keep giving him a pass. Fandom often borders on delusion.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People don't realize it takes a full year to recover from a hamstring injury.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. amaru

amaru Member

FIFY

D-rock, Sweet Lou 4 2 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

Worst contract in sports

D-rock likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hell it took steph curry a full year to recover from a small wrist fracture or something...
    perhaps even 2 years
    its the only way i can explain he didnt even make the playoffs

D-rock likes this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Mad respect to CP3. Bad injury luck for many, many, contending playoff teams. 2018 WCF obviously, but the Clippers as well (remember he missed games in our 3-1 comeback series). He tried to hold Harden accountable, and Harden had management cast him off - and the franchise is paying the price bigly.

Traded to non-contending/rebuilding teams and never complained, never held out, never refused to report, never demanded a trade out. He just put in work and played his ass off.

Go grab that ring.

hakeem94, amaru and LosPollosHermanos like this.