1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Yao Ming an Overrated Offensive Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 27, 2012.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No, the OP is wrong. Stats are overrated.
    He gave his peak performance in the playoffs which led us to the 2nd round before he got injured.
    His main problem was not being to handle fronting.
    He managed to overcome a lot of other difficulties.

2. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Did he had back to China every season to play for the national team wear him out and shorten his career?

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Did Meh say tracy was a bad compliment to yao? That is so far off the truth I don't knollw how to respond. Tracy being a great passer,having a high bbiq,and being respected on the wing made yao's job much easier. Look how many times tracy would spoon feed yao under the rim. Look at the entry passes despite the overplay and the slow feet to move and get the ball. Say what u want about tracy,but saying he was a poor complimentg to yao is piss poor imo.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He always had to have the ball in his hands. Artest was a better compliment. The combination of Brooks's speed and sharpshooting with Artest's tenaciousness was >>>tracy

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's exactly what Neil Paine is saying. His stats overrate his offense.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to say that relatively obscure stats like regularized adjusted +/- which look beyond the boxscore are "overrated".

6. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Yao was an overrated offensive player??? This has to be one of the most silly comments that I have heard of in years. Dude is a great offensive weapon that every coach wanted to put on his team. Period.

But I agree he was an overrated passer. Because of the slap pass and a few tricky over-the-head passes (I still remember the one to Moochie) early in his career, he was hyped to be a great passing center. But I have not seen any another great pass from him since then.

That said, Yao was a great offensive player. Overrated my ass.

7. philchips

philchips Member

That is total shi$. He shot at a high fg percentage and usually scored over 20 pts a game. He was the best post player in the league and was a great passer! Oh did I forget to mention he was an unselfish player to a fault. This is utter nonsense.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Because he was the best decision maker on the team beyond a doubt. To say artest was better compliment is downright foolish.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

In theory what you're saying sounds right. But the fact that Artest complemented him better showed during the games.

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

hell no he wasn't an overrated offensive player. he just fell down too much in the post, and kept getting the ball stolen by point guards. ming would probably average 30 a game if he was mobile like asik.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you know the Rockets record in games when both Tracy and Yao were healthy? The Rockets won like 70% of those games, that's with a very thin supporting cast.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

The flaws I'm talking about were greatly magnified in the playoff series vs the mavs and jazz.

One of the biggest reasons was probably the dismal supporting cast as you pointed out, but the pattern of Yao getting fronted and Tmac turning into a jump shooter afraid to drive in was too common. Not to mention when he would hold the ball for 3/4 of the shot clock and make last second plays.

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Were you supporting the Knicks in thart game to?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

T-mac and Yao didn't get to play together all that much and the both feed off of each other quite a bit. T-mac hit Yao for so many dunks and Yao opened up the lane quite a bit - they ran a pretty strong pick n roll - the best in the league probably since stockton and malone.

But with Yao in the game and no t-mac, the offense stagnated and throw in all the injuries, i think that's where you get the deceptive stats.

But in all honesty, the plus/minus doesn't tell the value of Yao - those stats are very deceptive. For example, it could just mean that Yao played on teams that had a great bench that out performed the opposing teams bench while Yao went up against starters more often.

So take it with a grain of salt. Was Yao over-rated? I don't think so. He was more dominant than Howard - that's for sure.

His lack of success was mainly due to having only one good starter next to him in Tmac.

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Yao was a tremendous offensive player. I'll give him that. At his peak, he was the most dominant player since the heydays of Shaq (even until now). During a stretch of about 35 games before his first injury, he practically destroyed every single post player of the opposing teams. After the legendary and heroic storming-back-from-the-locker-room episode in that playoff game against the Lakers, I told myself it must be our year. With him healthy, we could have beat the Lakers. And which team could stop us once the Lakers was out of the way? Denver? Orlando? Give me a break please. But then his foot was confirmed broken again right in the next game and the rest is history.

My lasting memory of this guy is him sitting on the bench in his Armani suit when the team and his teammates needed him the most in the playoff. Instead of leading the Rockets to championship, he was a spectator on the sideline watching his team got eliminated by the Fakers.

Overrated or not, he was one of the most underachieving players in the history of NBA.

#115 RocketForever, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  16. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Right, Yao Ming has broken his own foot on purpose so he could sit on the bench in order to watch his team got annihilated. :rolleyes:

You are so dumb that is beyond words.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

When I said T-Mac wasn't "optimal," it's not saying he's not good. But rather other superstars would fit better. Specifically, I just hated the fact that T-Mac just stopped driving to the basket by the time he became a Rocket. Assume Yao played with someone who like to attack, like Wade for example. Then defenses would be forced to play him straight up, rather than fronting/shading with a man behind him. But when defenses are forced to choose between Yao and Rafer 3pointer/teardrop, T-Mac's 3pointer/20-footer, Battier's 3pointer, and Juwan Howard's 15footer, no team would ever choose Yao to beat them.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Do you know why after 2,000+ posts your status is still one green box? And that green box probably derived from another LOH giving you a sympathy vote?

It's because your posts have absolutely no meaning and add nothing on clutchfans.

Just check the stat on yourself.

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I would just say that by 2008-9, Morey had finally put together a team that could not only contend on the fly, but continue to contend for the next 2-3 years.

He just could not forecast Yao and T-Mac would both have career ending injuries at the age of 30, in their prime. Remember, Yao played 77 games in 2008-9.

PG: Lowry/Brooks
    SG/SF: T-Mac, Battier, Artest
    PF: Scola/Landry
    C: Yao/Dikembe

Those players would've all hit their primes together, while Artest was still not too far removed from his prime for the role he was playing, and ditto for Dikembe in a 15min back-up role playing finger wagging defense.

I think the +/- numbers are meaningful, especially with a significant track record such as Yao's. Also meaningful, is whether you had put the right players around him. It was only in Yao's final full season (2008-9) that a really good and complete supporting cast was put around him.

That is the sad part about Yao. Injuries and personnel around him took away a chance for fans to really remember Yao as a top 15 (and potentially top 10) center in history, and a chance for the Rockets to make a deep playoff push.

To this day, I still think the 2008-9 Rockets roster, if healthy, would have had a better than even chance of bringing home the championships, and would've contended for the next 2-3 seasons as well before age started to show.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac drove to the basket plenty with Yao in there. Plenty. You are just remembering his injury plagued years when he had lost his explosiveness.