1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Yao booed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Feb 27, 2008.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

That's not classy at all if this was the case. The hardest working player on the team was injured. The most devastating day of his career, he comes to the bench to cheer the team on. Perhaps someone who was at the game can let us know.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps...RTS03/710247153/1005/SPORTS&template=nextpage

The Houston Rockets may have announced earlier in the day that center Yao Ming was done for the season and playoffs with a stress fracture, but they still showed footage of the former No. 1 overall pick's highlights from this season. The crowd gave a mixed response: cheers from the fans in support of the 7-foot-6 center, who was on the sidelines in a dark suit, and a smattering of boos from those bitter because he now has failed to play a full schedule the last three seasons. ...

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

That's garbage. Did he run up in the stands and ask anyone booing, why? Clearly his misinterpretation.

I expect people who booed, if anyone booed, booed the injury. No one boos Yao.

3. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

whaaa? the boos maybe because of the bad news? I am not sure how the writer jumped to the conclusion on this. Seems to be a Yao hater..

4. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Can we please get his email address? I want to write to him as a Rocket fan and tell him to correct this craaap. He does not speak for us Rockets fan. Let us tell him why there were boos! what an ah o l e...

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I doubt that was the case, but even if so you have to put yourself in the shoes of those fans. As great a player as he is, he's never been healthy enough to truly become the "franchise" player the Rockets can depend on, and thus fans have to deal -- for the third year in a row -- with unfulfilled potential and empty promises.

It's frustrating as hell, so while I wouldn't condone such reaction to any injured player, I completely understand/sympathize with how fans must feel right now. All this good work (winning streak, chemistry, etc) is all for none.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given the fact that people are talking about trading him on the BBS, why is anyone suprised fans at the TC booed him?

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's a disgrace!

8. consolas

consolas Member

Sorry, I have to disagree because I am having a really difficult time understanding/sympathizing with these sorts of fan. To me, they seemed a bunch of ignorant and ungrateful A$$. He got this injury BECAUSE he played so hard for the team and the injury may be a RESULT of playing so many minutes during the winning streak. His hard work inspired the teammates and thus MADE the chemistry better. To boo him after he has done so much for the Rockets is betrayal, plain and simple.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I just want to voice my displeasure and embarassment at the number of empty seats and the quiet crowd. Twelve game win streaks don't come around that often- where are the fans?

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

actually I don't think it was that bad last night. I could hear the crowd, and the rowdies were in rare form I heard most everything they were chanting watching it on tv..

Who's your Daddy? Battier.

Car-rl Lan-dry clap clap clap-clap-clap

I haven't heard a confirmation from anyone that was at the game if Yao was booed during the highlights.

Until I do I won't believe anyone is that disgusting.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

He's doing his job, and he's damn well-compensated for it. It's not like he's doing some charity work. As for doing so much for the Rockets, he hasn't done anything yet worth-while, IMO. Selling jerseys is great, but as a fan I am completely disinterested in the financial side of things, and only care about winning.

And for the record, I am not saying I understand the booing, I am saying I understand the frustration that might lead to the booing/jeering or what have you. But as a general rule, yes, I don't condone booing injured players. :confused:

12. consolas

consolas Member

So your logic basically is: "If Yao does a good job, well, he is just doing his job because he is paid for it. If he doesn't, he sucks", right? He just can't win, can he?

Remember, money isn't everything and doesn't necessarily lead to dedication.

If hasn't done anything yet worth-while for Rockets and has cost so much, why don't you suggest Rockets trade him? Maybe there are other people value his contribution to the team???

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One guy booed...and he happened to be sitting next to this douche bag W Post writer.

14. FFz

FFz Member

BUt come on man... during a Yao Ming highlight video? A video of his hardwork this season? I really would appreciate if someone at the game just flat out told us this didn't happen.

On another note... empty seats during a 13 game winning streak is disgusting. I don't like Crapbury at all but...

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/02/nice_of_you_to_show_upagain.html

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they've bought tickets and they're in the clubs which are in the arena but not in view of cameras.

the rockets sold those seats and built that arena with all of that in mind.

16. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

His third straight season with a serious injury that causes him to miss at least 30 games and the people who are entertaining the thought that it may be best to trade him are the ones that don't make sense?

People on this board believe one side of an issue is the right way to go and anyone on the other side of the issue is an idiot. It's really sad it's like that here, but it is what it is. It's really the internet in general now that I think about it.

I don't believe Yao should be traded personally, but I can definitely see why some would think that he should. And fans that booed that video for any reason just couldn't be Rocket fans. I don't even understand why they would boo the video at all. At the very least just don't do anything at all, cheer or boo.

i.e. I'm not saying you called anyone an idiot either.

#16 JusBleezy, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008