1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was This Joke by a Junior High School Teacher Racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Dec 14, 2007.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not really. the media tried to make it a story, but fortunately common sense prevailed and the majority realized it was nothing

2. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i think this discussion is getting widiculous wetarded

3. TracyMcCrazyeye

approved by elmer fudd.

[​IMG]

4. Cesar^Geronimo

A high school teacher (or any teacher) is never in the right telling racists jokes (or jokes that signal out a race) -- never.

They should be sensitive about singling out anyone -- especially because of their race or anything else they may be uncomfortable with.

When I was younger I had a bad stutter. I had one insensitive teacher that used to mock it. In order to not seem like a baby, I laughed like everyone else. Does that mean he was right because I didn't give him feedback?

Do junior high teachers decide what's appropriate or not based upon the feed back of junior high students? I certainly hope not.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Well texas is in america...so having a texan drawl and mimicking that drawl dare I say is more acceptable in america. JMO

Why would a white science teacher "cite" his students of what the asian people sound like in a already admitted by many in here corny joke? Was it for educational purposes? Lighten up the mood from all the tough science tests?

Again, why didn't he pick a black joke, maybe an ebonics joke?

6. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

but texas is in america? huh? what does that have anything to do with the perceived offensiveness. Talk about vague.

Well china is part of earth... :rolleyes:

7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

hispanic?

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I remember it as Yao diffused it immediately so then it just got brushed under the rug.

Yeah, mocking another's language is no big deal. :rolleyes:

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

sure ain't. then again what do i know...it's all greek to me :D

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Let me spell it out for you.

Mimicking a texan drawl is prolly more acceptable and the southern people will take no offense to it when others mimic it then when americans mimic how asians sound for whatever reasons.

And even in texan drawl, it's still the american language.

So...

mimic Texans drawl = not a big deal, it's still part of american culture, sense of pride when others try to mimic it

mimic the sound of asian languages (if you're not really trying to honestly speak it) = corny, douchebag worthy, insensitive, Shaq like intelligence

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

...not much it seems.

:D

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

actually you're wight, but you're still a wumbass.

j/k

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

You are only as vulnerable as the perceived target of an ethnic joke. Those of us who are not of certain ethnic/racial background are far less likely to feel affected or offended by such jokes. Who are we to tell the recipients of those jokes to stop being PC and/or so sensitive? Are you going to tell me you will never be offended by a joke from me directed at your own ethnicity?

For those who are mystified by the offensiveness of the reference to the name of "Chin" in China/Chinese-related joke, the word is not so subtly linked to "Chink," which is a well-known slur. Of course it's a word play for crying out loud, but many ethnic slurs are invented/derived from word plays. Are you ignorant or just plain naive that word plays don't cause harm?

I am all for leveling the playing field, but this is not possible. You know it, I know it. So enjoy the advantage while you can and while it lasts.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

:eek:

wow. thats kind of a big leap. I've never heard that "chin" is really "chink"

where do insults fall into your morality?

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I take it your not asian. Neither am I but I can make the connection.

prolly the same as to your veiwpoints on other peoples languages...yeah you're right, I should be ashamed taking cheap shots when I'm still up on my soapbox...NOT

...aww c'mon, don't tell me you didn't find those funny. C'mon, laugh along with the class. :p

#55 v3.0, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Is Wing a common Chinese name? I have never heard it, so the joke really does not make much sense. So its not real funny.

Also racism has a specific meaning.
    1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Calling this joke racist waters down the meaning of the word racism.
    The joke is definitely insensitive and should not have been told, but it was not racist IMHO.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand if the joke is offensive but the reference to chink is not the intention. an overweight person is said to have more than one chin. chin is a common chinese name. a phonebook in china probably has a lot of people named chin. that is the joke, nothing more.

and that's not to say chin is linked to chink. I don't know where that slur comes from so I'll take your word for it

18. teknokid

teknokid Member

That joke can get him killed.
    Yes.. I am serious...

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Actually, I was laughing...at your hypocrisy. Especially since you were on your moral soapbox. Kind of hypocritical to talk so highly about how a joke can hurt someone feelings and then you insult someone directly. At least tell a drunk catholic joke to get at me. I mean how lame and cliche is it to just insult someones intelligence.

between insulting me and then calling a man you don't know a coward...i'm surprised you even care about kids and their experiences at all.

agree. That term is so often wrongly used and thrown around it's hard for it to even get a reaction anymore.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

as an added comment, I was 12 at the time and the guy sitting next to me was 15 or 16. Our teachers regularly threatened to beat our "ass" if we left a bookbag in the middle of the aisle and they tripped over it. Another teacher regularly would tell certain students that their writing was so bad they wouldn't even "***** on it".

This particular science teacher wasn't one of those teachers, and the people in my class would regularly disrespect him by breaking into the lockers in the back of the room while he was teaching. I know he saw it happeneing, but he never stoppped them.

Obviously, this school wasn't a shining example of the New York City Public School System.