1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was B O'B trying to......

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Aug 19, 2021.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Save Deshaun?

Looking back on THE TRADE that caused the Texans to spiral out of control, D-HOP for PENNIES..... was B O'B trying to protect Deshaun?

I can truly say one thing, B O'B knew his players. He knew that Andre Johnson's talents were fading. When Dre was released, he said Andre at best was a 2nd-3rd WR and wouldn't catch no more than 45 balls....he NAILED IT! Dre went to the Colts and caught 45 balls exactly.

When he traded Clowney and we thought the Texans got the worst of that trade, turns out I think it was a fair trade, based upon Clowney's production. Which brings us to D-Hop! B O'B had to have known that was a BAD TRADE. He knew D-Hop was a Top - 5 WR, so why would he trade him for pennies??

I think similar to the situation with DJ Swearinger and Clowney, DJ kept getting in trouble and he decided to trade away the lesser of the two to salvage the T.E.A.M. I think the Texans knew what was going on with their top players and D-Hop had a heavy influence over Deshaun. I recalled him saying, the trade was for the TEAM it's all about the TEAM.

Was B O'B trying to tell us something back then and how much of a role did D-Hop play into where we are now?

raining threes and UTSA2step like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The only thing he told us was that he was unfit to be an NFL coach and an NFL GM.

3. a time to chill

There's no way to defend that DHOP trade...at all. It was literally the worst NFL trade ever in recent memory. It was so bad that the Arizona Cardinals won an award for "Best Sports Transaction of the Year" for how they fleeced O'Brien. I could support it if the Texans got back a good return, but what they received for Hopkins was terrible value compared to what the Vikings received for Stefon Diggs.

That trade wasn't about TEAM at all. That's just another one of the Texans' many lies. It was the result of a dysfunctional organization with no true leadership coming from the owner.

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

Sure he was unfit as a HC, there's no disputing but I do think B O'B felt because D-Hop had such influence over Deshaun and for all we know, the Texans could've felt D-Hop introduced Deshaun to these masseuse.....we don't know

raining threes and UTSA2step like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I thought that was the rumor. But no one knows for sure

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Hopkins isn’t listed in any of the court filings. Nobody has alleged he slapped them with his pecker. O’Brien was a terrible coach/executive. It’s just that simple.

7. ballgame

ballgame Member

Introductory and accomplice are different. Just saying that trade was horrible and rushed and I think it was reasoning behind it.

raining threes likes this.
  8. ballgame

ballgame Member

I never heard it.

9. steddinotayto

All throughout the history of the NFL there's been Hall of Fame players with sketchy off-field antics. In that same history, coaches have turned a blind eye to said antics as long as it 1. Didn't impact the on-field results and 2. Didn't impact locker room morale. Hopkins and his assumed off-field antics did neither because he was still an All-Pro wide receiver and, by accounts from his former and current teammates, was a good teammate.

Bill O'Brien didn't save anyone--not Watson, not the Texans, and certainly not his own ass. If anything he torpedoed everything because he wasn't a great coach because great coaches like the Jimmy Johnsons, the Bill Belichicks, the Phil Jacksons etc of the world know what players do on their own time is their own ******* business as long as it didn't impact the team and the team's performance.

The Real Shady and YOLO like this.
  10. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

This would mean other teams knew the "influence" Hopkins was having and lowballed Bill. Yeah right. Maybe you are right on the reason for the trade, but the return on the trade was abysmal at best.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

That might be the reason, we dont know, but the backlash to O'Brien, was because why he accepted that trade, if he traded for a 1st round pick, it wouldnt be that bad, because the Cardinals had a top 10 pick, and could easily draft his replacement or any impactful player.

He didnt save anybody, not even himself, to be a joke of a GM and joke as a a coach.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree with the logistics of what you are saying, the main points but I think the context is off. You can't compare B O'B to those coaches. We're talking B O'B and the Texans!

I think they got win of what was going on 2 yrs ago but they probably didn't know the extent and I think they felt to rectify the problem and save their best asset ever, DW4, they had to trade D-Hop.

13. ballgame

ballgame Member

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Deshaun is his own man can't blame DeAndre for being a negative influence on him, especially considering he hasn't been caught doing anything wrong in his career, unlike Deshaun

3Rings and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

BOB is a case study on the pitfalls of letting your Head Coach be the GM. BOB allowed his toxic opinion of DeAndre to mold the framework of trade conversations with AZ, and the Cardinals picked up on that like Phil Ivey at the poker table. BOB was never good at masking his emotions, which is exactly why he made the world's shittiest GM. But ultimately, this falls on Cal McNair. He allowed BOB to dismantle and destroy his franchise without putting up any type of resistance.

3Rings, Xopher and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. steddinotayto

So you're basically pinning the downfall of Watson and the pending sexual assault cases on Hopkins being an bad influence while they were together in Houston? And Bill O'Brien was such a great guy that he said "Y'know.. F winning. F these division champ banners. I'm going to trade away this team's best receiver--All-Pro receiver--because I need to make sure my QB won't get corrupted because his off-field business and well being is also MY business. If that means I royally screw this franchise and cost me my job, so be it!" Is that what straw we're grasping on?

17. ballgame

ballgame Member

Agreed. I think because B O'B was right about Andre Johnson and Clowney, Cal felt he was right about Hop too

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Having too many baby mommas and orgy parties is not a crime, and if the Texans don't want that type of player on their team they will never win. In fact they will never win because they are only focused on bringing in players they perceive has high character.

J.R. and steddinotayto like this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

It doesn't make sense to us because we're thinking logically and wouldn'thave trade Hop for anything but a high #1 or multiple picks and players. However, what else makes sense?

If you look back at it, it all lines up and why B O'B would RUSH to trade Hop after rumors leaked that Easterby was having players followed.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree but I think B O'B thought he could save Deshaun by trading D-Hop.