1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warriors waive Oscar Torres

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swopa, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

NOTE: This thread appearing in the Rockets forum by virtue of the "Tracy Murray rule" :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=9876098

Aside from being the most expendable player on the roster contract-wise, Torres never showed anything to his game aside from 3-point shooting, and even that faded after a while.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Based on the new ******* that everyone tore for me last time I posted something about Matt Maloney, I think that the Tracy Murray rule is going to get you flamed...:)

3. alaskansnowman

Poor Oscar. I feel for the guy. I thought he was gonna have a pretty bright future in the league; hopefully he still will. Who remembers that thunderous dunk he threw down against the Knicks last year?

4. red

red Contributing Member

good luck to you oscar...hopefully you will catch on somewhere...i am still in your fan club...

5. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I hope he has a chance at finding a team looking for a SG that can play big minutes. I think that is the only true thing that his holding him back.

When he started for the Rockets, he played very well. When he came off the bench, he was above avg at best.

At the very least he can always go back to international basketball.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I hate to say it but he's not the right type of player for this league. He's a scorer who needs touches and minutes to be productive but he's not a good enough scorer to take that job away from the designated scorers on most of the teams in the league. The only place I can see him flourishing is maybe on the Nuggets. Other than being a designated scorer, he's got no real niche. We tried to turn him into a spot up shooter but it's just not his game.

7. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Next Clyde Drexler...NOT!!

But LAfade is right about him getting a chance with the Nuggets. The guy's athletic but that's a prereq for a 2 guard. He needs more range on his jumper.

And nice move by the Warriors brass...release a guy right around Christmas time :rolleyes:

8. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

Just can't believe Moochie still has a job as sucks as he is. I hope there will soon be a thread "Rockets waive Moochie".

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You must be talking about James Possey. ;)

10. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

They can just waive a player? Does that mean they buy out his contract or what...

11. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Damn the nba website is so efficient. I wanted to check out Oscar's stats but he is no longer on the player list.

12. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

In most cases, a clause is included in a player's contract basically saying that if you suck for our team (or if we no longer need your services), we can get rid of you. Some clauses allow for severance pay, most do not. On the other hand, a player's contract usually has "incentive clauses" in them, basically saying that if you play well for us, we'll pay you extra, etc., etc.

So it balances out.

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

man... no respect for the Oz.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

NBA contracts are guaranteed. Unless a buyout is negotiated between the team and player the full contract will be paid. For example, Houston waived Maloney but was still responsible for his salary. Once Maloney cleared waivers and then was claimed, Houston was still responsible for most of his salary. If the player retires, then the team is not necessarily on the hook for the monetary part of the contract, but it still counts against the salary cap.

The NFL is different. Most contracts are not guaranteed, therefore the good players will get huge signing bonuses which 'in effect' guarantees them. Once a player is cut from the NFL, his contract is voided.

15. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Duh. I guess that's why Oscar got waived, right? Or why players' salaries are docked for being late for practice. Fact is, nothing is guranteed. Its all negotiable, and some contracts do allow a player to be waived with no further pay. It all depends on how good the player and his agent is.

(Besides, what sense does it make to guarantee someone a salary if you're not even sure they're going to play for you.)

C'mon dude, get a brain.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

if you waive a player and he is picked up within 3 days (during the season, 10 days in offseason), then the team that picked him up off of waivers takes over his contract in its entirety. If he "clears waivers," and has any guaranteed compensation against "lack of skill," then the old team pays that for the remainder of the guaranteed years and it counts against their cap for those years (see Matt Maloney). If he is picked up after clearing waivers, then the new team pays the pro-rated, minimum salary portion of his contract.

So, in this case, since Oscar is a minimum player, the new team would pay that whole contract.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You say that 'in most case' players do not have guaranteed contracts. I say 'in most cases' they do, at least, once they actually make the team after preseason.

Again, the Rockets waived Matt Maloney and since he cleared waivers have been paying the majority of his salary for the last 'x' years.

Every player drafted in the first round gets 3 years of guaranteed money as long as he gets signed to a contract and doesn't opt to play in Europe or sit out altogether.

What does getting fined for missing practice have to do with a guaranteed contract?

Teams waive players all the time and eat their contracts if no other team picks them up, or, as heypartner so aptly pointed out, end up paying a portion of the contract if someone does pick them up after a certain amount of time.

Here is a link to the Rockets roster. Note that all contracts are guaranteed at least through this season. For whatever reason, Yao and Nachbar are not on the list, but they are guaranteed at least through 2005.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/salaries?team=hou

If contracts aren't guaranteed then why would the Rockets choose to pay over 1 million dollars to Collier rather than just cut him? He doesn't appear to figure in their plans.

Rather than claim Pete Mickeal is 'injured' why don't the Rockets just waive him and save his salary? Could it be because they are going to have to pay him anyway?

18. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Where's aelliot when you need him?

I think that the important thing to realise is that there isn't very much flexibility in NBA contracts, as a result of the CBA. I'd be very surprised if Oscar didn't receive the remainder of his contract from GSW.