1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warriors@Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Nov 3, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271102012
    [​IMG]

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Chris Kaman looks as if he's ready to start paying some big dividends for the Los Angeles Clippers.

The fifth-year center had 26 points and 18 rebounds Friday night to help Los Angeles open its season with a 120-114 victory over the Golden State Warriors.

Cuttino Mobley hit two fadeaway jumpers in the final 76 seconds, then Kaman made three free throws to seal the victory.

Kaman missed part of the third quarter, leaving the floor to get three stitches to close a cut above his left eye. He was hit when he tried to block a driving dunk by Kelenna Azibuike 1:10 into the period. He returned to the court with 2:58 left in the quarter.

"Chris was terrific tonight," Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. "He really controlled the paint. He got hit in the head and went out and got some stitches, but he came back.

"He needs to get hit in the head every night, I guess."

Kaman said he was able to take advantage of the Warriors' smaller lineup.

"I think it hurts them a little bit sometimes when they go small," he said. "I just played with energy and was fortunate to be in a position where the ball was coming to me."

The Clippers' 7-footer got a five-year contract extension early last season, but had a relatively mediocre year. He averaged 10.1 points and 7.8 rebounds.

Mobley, who finished with 21 points, made a 16-footer for a 115-112 lead with 1:16 left, then added a 15-footer off the glass for a five-point lead with 48 seconds to go.

"That's what I do in the fourth quarter. That's my job," Mobley said. "I always want the ball in the fourth quarter. You're going to fail sometimes, but it feels good when you succeed."

Tim Thomas had 20 points for Los Angeles, and Corey Maggette had 16 points, seven rebounds and five assists.

Azibuike had 33 points and eight rebounds, and Baron Davis had 22 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds for the Warriors, who lost their second straight. Utah beat them 117-96 on Tuesday.

Golden State coach Don Nelson complimented Azubuike.

"He played a complete game. He scored and rebounded," Nelson said. "I am very proud of him. He is one of my most solid guys, all-around."

The Clippers are missing their best player, Elton Brand, and point guard Shaun Livingston, with neither expected back for several months.

Brand tore his left Achilles' tendon working out in August. Livingston tore three ligaments in his left knee in a game last Feb. 26.

Sam Cassell said he and his Los Angeles teammates realize they have to step up because of the absence of Brand and Livingston.

"We would have lost that game last year. This year we understand the injuries we have and just drive forward," Cassell said. "If we can get an effort like this every night, win or lose, I'm satisfied with it."

The Warriors were without Stephen Jackson, sitting out the second game of seven-game suspension levied by the league following his guilty plea to a felony charge of criminal recklessness for firing a gun into the air outside an Indianapolis club.

The Clippers were behind 95-94 when they went on a 13-0 run started by Ruben Patterson's layup with 10:44 left. Mobley scored six points during the run, capping it with a 21-footer with 7:22 remaining.

The Warriors responded with a 17-6 spurt, trimming the deficit to 113-112 on a fastbreak layup by Monta Ellis with 1:31 left. But they got no closer.

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I hope Nelly is going to realize that small ball isn't going to work for a full 82 game season.

3. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

haha. GSW got lucky with dallas. and dallas deserved it.

but gsw is far from a solid playoff team. just a cheap version of phoenix.

btw Azibuike had 33 points and eight rebounds. isnt that the guy we cut?

4. tinman

Supporting Member

No Elton Brand

Rubuen Patterson and Tim Thomas were the Forwards
    The clips played with 3 guards , Ross/Cassell/Magette

5. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

wow it is easy a caveman can do it 26 and 18 boards :eek:

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

guess the question is long term can kaman co-exist with Brand

also nice all around game from the Cat

7. Chronz

Chronz Member

Im starting to regret letting Abuze whats his name go and keeping Snyder

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Snyder would be putting up crazy numbers in Golden Sate's offense too.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

clippers 2-0

its about leadership

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

you do realize that they traded j rich ?

im sure they miss him. plus, stephen jackson has been suspended.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

why r u guys making excuses for the warriors?

Elton Brand is out for the season for the clips, that's much worse!