1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warren Zevon terminally ill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mrs. JB, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Apparently he was a regular smoker until he quit eight years ago. Bummer.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Singer-songwriter Warren Zevon, best known for quirky hits like "Werewolves in London," has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer, a spokeswoman said Thursday.

"I'm OK with it," Zevon, 55, said in a statement. "But it'll be a drag if I don't make it until the next James Bond movie comes out."

Zevon's more than three-decades long career began with "Wanted Dead or Alive" in 1969. His 1976 album, "Warren Zevon," produced by Jackson Browne, won critical praise, and his career soared with 1978's "Excitable Boy," featuring the single "Werewolves of London," which became his signature song.

He ended a five-year recording absence in 2000 with "Life'll Kill Ya."

Spokeswoman Diana Baron said Zevon, who was told of the diagnosis by doctors last month, is spending time with his grown children, as well as writing and recording. He'll be in the recording studio next week, she said.

Rhino Records will release "Genius: The Best of Warren Zevon" on Oct. 15.

Zevon's most recent album, "My Ride's Here," released this year, features contributions from Irish poet Paul Muldoon, journalist Hunter S. Thompson and author Carl Hiaasen, as well as a cameo from talk-show host David Letterman.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Big bummer.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I read this in the Chronicle this morning. Gonna listen to "A Quiet Normal Life" when I get home today (on vinyl, of course). So sad...what a tremendous songwriter.

CARMELITA (by Warren Zevon)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hear Mariachi static on my radio
    And the tubes they glow in the dark
    And I'm there with her in Ensenada
    And I'm here in Echo Park
    Carmelita hold me tighter
    I think I'm sinking down
    And I'm all strung out on heroin
    On the outskirts of town

Well, I'm sittin' here playing solitaire
    With my pearl-handled deck
    The county won't give me no more methadone
    And they cut off your welfare check