1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warren Sapp is an embarrassment to football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by El_Conquistador, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

So....how 'bout them Texans?

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Here's a phrase that everyone should learn:

KEEP YOUR MOTHER****IN' HEAD UP

Clifton gave up on the play, and he wasn't looking straight ahead. Defenders usually don't pop up from the side.

If I was in Sapp's position I would have done the same exact thing.

I think some of you never played competitive football in your lives. One of the first things your coach will tell you is:

PLAY UNTIL THE WHISTLE

Moral of the story: Sherman is a major *******. He started this bull****, and if you deny it, then your opinion means nothing.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Hey NYKRule, we agree on something, in so many words of course.:eek:

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

NJRocket: "Doh":rolleyes:

The dumbasses really came out in full force in this one. TJ never did address the issue of his connotations of Sapps speech (part of HayesSteet saying it could be construed as a borderline racist comment--though I admit he was very clear in his across the board contempt for people receiving welfare regardless of creed, color, etc.

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I think there are two different arguements: one, you should play until the whistle blows; two, the celebrating of a meaningless play makes you look like an idiot. If Sapp had run across the field to celebrate with the guy who actually made a good play and came up with the interception, then I don't think there would even be another word said about the whole thing, from Sapp, the media, Sherman or any of us fans.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm happy to address the issue of connotations. Sapp's speech leads me to believe he is:
    1) lacking intelligence
    2) immature
    3) self-absorbed
    4) disrespectful
    5) without remorse
    6) incapable of controlling his emotions
    7) incapable of articulating his views in a civilized manner

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Did your coaches also tell you to celebrate after every hit you make? Once again, it was the celebration that pissed Sherman off the most! Really, what was he celebrating anyway? A cheapshot that had no effect on the play whatsoever? :confused: Wow! That's really something to celebrate about.

Fact is, the guy is a self-celebrating, attention-starved, motor-mouth bully. There's no athlete in professional sports who irks me more than Warren Sapp.

NYK, are you a Giants fan? If so, I don't know why you would even waste anytime defending Sapp after the unprovoked **** he talked about Strahan and Sehorn.

#87 DCkid, Nov 25, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2002
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If it is deemed as cheap by the NFL....Sapp will be fined.

Let's wait and see.

DaDakota

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'll see your 'yawn' and raise you a 'sigh.' That's productive, isn't it? Junior, amateur, rookie, case closed...whatever. Unfortunately you gave away your game plan with your boorish boasting. We all know that you say these things to try and 'rattle' other people when you have no real argument.

I never attempted to tell you 'what you meant.' I analyzed 'what you wrote.'

Black man + 'ignorant' (doesn't talk like a white man) + 'thug' + welfare = racist.

I wasn't aware of any 'classic' posts with your name attached. But on that point I guess you're a big fan of Sapp since he contributes much more to the economy than yourself.

It is not hard to make the connection between right wingers and racism. If you see all people the same in relation to their race, that is great. But your rhetoric does not indicate that.

Could be...:)

10. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The celebration is about Warren Sapp the showboat. Even after the celebration, it wasn't because he injured the guy. Sherman is the real 'embarrassment to football', he shouldn't have said a word to him.

There is nothing wrong about Warren Sapp the player.

#90 NYKRule, Nov 25, 2002
  11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If Sapp gets fined, it will be for his outburst with Sherman or shoving the coach

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I don't know what is worse about this thread:

a) People complaining about the way the game of football is played

or

b) Getting a racism angle into this thread

Geez, I think some of you need to get a grip!

13. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I'm not a Giants fan, but if I was, I wouldn't care if he ripped Sehorn. I don't think you understand what a whining b**** Sehorn is.

14. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

They already reviewed it.

And thank the lord they came up with the correct result. No fine.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You are like a mockingbird. chirp chirp
    I'm sorry you feel this way. I never introduced race into this argument. You did, bucko
    Thousands are aware. I do respect Mr. Sapp's earning power -- he is one of the best players in the NFL. He pays the US Government millions of dollars each year in taxes. Hooray.
    Again, thanks for telling me how I feel towards the issue of race. You're really doing your best to make race an issue here Hayes. In the words of one of your favorite politicians, H.W. Bush --- "NOT GONNA HAPPEN".

16. Timing

Timing Member

Hayes, I think that by classic TJ means his posts indicating that the homeless should be kidnapped off of street corners and dropped off in "other" neighborhoods, that decreasing revenues while increasing spending is actually a good thing, that racism can only be proven in Georgia, and that in terms of absolute numbers there are more white people on welfare than minorities thus proving that minorites are not more poor. TJ is just brilliant like that.

Regarding Sapp's hit, that's just football. Those types of hits happen all the time and the only reason this is even a subject is that the guy was injured and his coach tried to play John Wayne. Sapp might be a big mouth but he's not a dirty player.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Timing and Hayes, you've my respect, but I don't see why you attempt to engage that poster at all. seriously, unless you enjoy the typing as an end in itself, you may as well be tossing valuable coins into a well so deep that you'll never even hear a splash for your efforts.

Basically, I agree with the folks who are suggesting taking in real classics, as in classic NFL films. This is football, with all due violence within the rules; Sapp is an ass for celebrating. Those are separate issues.

As for welfare, I sadly doubt the topic would have been raised for a white player, though I would be very, very happy to be wrong. Perhaps we'll have the chance to examine this rhetoric next time Bill Romanowski does something stupid.

#97 B-Bob, Nov 25, 2002
  18. Elvis Costello

I saw the replay today and I don't think it was a cheapshot. As Timing said, that happens all of the time. If you've ever played football you would know this. As for the pissing match after the game between Sherman and Sapp you have to keep in mind that Green Bay just got jacked up for the second game in a row and probably lost home field advantage for the playoffs.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I will just go ahead and give my opinion on the subject matter.

Sapp's hit was a "cheap shot". However, these kind of hits are part of the game. Its FOOTBALL, not tennis. Men play this game, not boys. So, although it may have been inappropriate, there is nothing wrong with the hit.

Secondly, I have yet to see any video on Sapp celebrating or laughing when Clifton was laying on the ground. So, I will say he is innocent until proven guilty. If he was laughing, then he is wrong, without a doubt. But, I am not holding that against him until I know the truth.

Thirdly, Sherman is the one that went after Sapp at the end of the game. If an opposing coach came after me and told me to fu*k off, I would have some major problems with that too.

So, in closing, what Sapp did is totally legit. And saying that he is an embarrassment to football because of the play yesterday is wrong and uncalled for.

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm also dumbfounded by how by much coverage this subject has garnered. I think it should be added to the "it must be a slow news day" thread.

That being said, and with all due respect B-Bob, the futility in arguing with certain posters is hardly a cornered market, and your advice could have just as easily gone the other way.