1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WARP ranking for 2013 draft, by Kevin Pelton

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Jun 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I know what PER is, I just didn't know where to find it for European leagues. Thanks.

Btw, Neal was 26 when he was signed by San Antonio. Deron Williams is another player that struggled in Europe. You're mostly right about others, though.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should have said Neal was fresh out of college when he played in Euroleague. He is now in prime in NBA. Thank you for the correction and sorry for misunderstanding.

I do wonder if the NBA will ever join with teams in Europe.

#42 Joe Joe, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. Rocket Booster

No, but this guy is taking stats of DX and assuming they are correct, which half of them are not even right anyway.

Anyway, he actually believes that every player has a huge drop in numbers from Euroleague to NBA.

It's hilarious, considering the exact opposite is usually true most of the time. The guy cannot be reasoned with.

This Hollinger Formula is complete made up BS.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do not think every player has a huge drop off....just most.

LOL on draftexpress's stats being incorrect....they tend to be behind during the season, but they seem to be matching NBA.com and euroleague.net. So either the NBA and Euroleague have a big conspiracy to make the NBA look better, or as said before...you are a liar.

Again, you are slandering a respected former journalist turned NBA executrive with no proof.

5. Rocket Booster

You have not cited a single example yet of any player that matches that formula. Do you not even realize that you have not found even ONE example yet that matches it?

Yet you are STILL trying to claim the formula works?

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To get this thread back on track, our guy Canaan was ranked #20 and apparently would have been higher last year. Sounds like he took a tumble mainly because of his decreased 3pt% (45 to 37) and the fact that his team put more of the burden of carrying them on him than before.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I apologize for being a Billy Goat Gruff.

Back to topic as you said, Canaan's projected WARP is lower than Robinson's which is expected for a much lower draft pick. He also projects to have a low 2 point FG% much like Robinson(Carl Herrera Faints). FTAs are one of the stats that is harder to translate from NCAA to NBA as there is a lot of variance. I've not looked at it, but I've heard this stat is generally more reduced for smaller school guards. His three point shooting looks amazing. In highlights and lowlights, he is guarded tightly well beyond three point line as he has NBA 3 range already.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In light of the other Pelton thread ranking the 2014 draft, I thought it might be useful to bring some hindsight to how good he was on judging the 2013 class. Here's the list:

1. He's got quite a few guys at the top of his list making me wonder who they are.

2. Obviously can't say much about Noel. Otto Porter, the 'surest thing', did diddly squat this season. Pope and Zeller got some minutes but didn't exactly light the league on fire.

3. Maybe it's to his credit that he ranked Bennett so low. But, he ranked Michael Carter-Williams right after him.

4. Might not have been a great draft anyway, but look at the top vote-getters for ROTY: MCW (ranked here at #9, drafted at #11), Oladipo (#17/#2), Trey Burke (#9/#9), Mason Plumlee (#26/#22), and Hardaway Jr. (#22/#24). It looks to me like he did about as well as the real draft, except missing badly on Oladipo.

1 person likes this.