1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Warning]Stop using Java ASAP..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Jan 12, 2013.

1. 713

713 Member

Homeland Security urges computer users to disable Java

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...sers-to-disable-java-20130111,0,5686660.story

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It's been a gigantic security risk for years, just like Flash.

4. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

i've had noscript on my browser for like 4 years now, lol.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yep..

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Similar thing happened six months ago.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:confused:some guy on facebook had a conspiracy about how this was a way for the government to hax your computer and Obama's gay-muslim-atheist agenda was in full effect.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Let's go back to static web pages and get rid of JavaScript too while we are at it.

9. Svpernaut

If you go to a major website that uses Flash for anything other than video, they're doing it wrong. JavaScript/jQuery can do nearly everything Flash can in a website setting and are far more secure... there is of course HTML5 as well. DHTML is pretty old school can work in a pinch too.

If you go to a website that uses a JAVA applet, they're just being lazy.

10. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

youtube videos won't work when I disable JavaScript.

11. Svpernaut

Not JavaScript, Java Runtime. JavaScript is a web language that runs in your browser, Java Runtime is a program that runs on your computer and executes Java code either in a web browser, or an application. An example would be Minecraft (the game) which runs on Java.

Re-enable JavaScript. If you want to remove Java, see here.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

lazy is good in programming (this is me defending my one Java Applet I built)

13. VanityHalfBlack

Java applet plug in???? disable that on firefox???

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is this a joke? Since when do the Homeland Security folks put out computer security alerts. These reeks of politics. Somebody (likely Microsoft) paid them to make this announcement.

You can't blame a freaking software language and its virtual machine for a hack to the point of telling people to turn it off.

good lord

15. heypartner

Look. Using Java as an applet is not being lazy. Where do you get that from?

I love javascript, probably more than any programmer I know. But it CANNOT do everything that Java applets can. You are just talking about GUIs.

Do you know who Citrix is?
    And do you know how important their software is to businesses?

There is no way the Homeland Security little computer team can put out an alert to turn off Citrix. It's just ridiculous.

16. Nero

Nero Member

As soon as I saw the thread, it smelled like a hoax to me.

People are so gullible. JAVA is only the single most-used software platform on the planet.. :rolleyes:

It's like when that panic went around telling people to delete the little teddy bear from Windows... lol

17. heypartner

whoa, I stand corrected. This announcement (by US-CERT) is echoed by CERT....so yeah, they are go to people for computer alerts.

EDIT: CERT only recommends to turn off Java.

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617

"Solution

We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem. Please consider the following workarounds:

Disable Java in web browsers"

#17 heypartner, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

So is this just the latest version of Java that they're talking about? I'm still running version 6 because my most used application didn't work with 7.

19. Precision340

Precision340 Member

homeland security protecting us from the interwebz? :eek:

20. Svpernaut

Let's not talk out of our butts now. The government has been telling people about security vulnerabilities in software for decades. The NIST, CIA and Department of Defense all regularly publish best practice documents on various systems (example PDF) and regularly post alerts. What about the FBI DNS shutdown this summer?

I never said Javascript was a stand-alone replacment for Java, I also mentioned DHTML, jQuery (framework obviously) and HTML 5. Also notice I was referring to WEBSITES. I'm very aware of Citrix, I've supported some of the largest Citrix environments in the world... and I hated every minute of it.

Did you guys even READ the alert from DHS? It was just that, an alert... urging people to disable it until it is patched. They are echoing security experts cries from as far back as August, five months later and the vulnerabilities still exist. It is no different then previous alerts on IE, Flash, etc. except that Oracle hasn't remedied the issues.

With that said, Java is a dying technology mostly due to Oracles complete ineptness as of late. Personally, I believe relying on a client-side runtime to achieve something that can be accomplished in-browser is "the dark ages" to me (referring to web apps obviously). This of course, is simply my opinion.