1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warning (Provocative): What makes Francis Unreproachable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Aug 30, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm with JAG. I agree and disagree with oeilpere.

The 3 muskateers were never beyond reproach. TAG!
    Francis is. Explaining why Francis is beyond reproach by saying what he isn't is not the measure of unreproachability.

The player must play unreproachable ball. That's generally regarded as producing points nearly at will, especially in the 4th quarter, and pulling teams out of bog downs. Mobley is further along than Francis on both counts, not to mention having legend status of taking oral surgery at half-time on no aenesthetic to bounce off the table and score 27 2nd-half points for the win!! yet Mobley is highly reproachable, and so are your 3 muskateers. Francis lacks an important quality of all your bad boys.

So, at the end of the day, you are a #2 fan by basing everything on potential and allowing a 2-3 years (anyone for 4 yrs) of mistakes. That's OK. I'm close to #6, especially when at the games.

Oh, I never discount Francis except when compared to a #2 fan. You, however, seem to be discounting Mobley's contributions to the increased success of the Rockets, and really the entire team learning to run plays together. I just don't see Francis out there making everyone better in a superstar "beyond reproach" manner.

Francis marginally improves everyone, and actually makes the pnr worse when he waves it off, and makes our transition game worse when he skips like Walter Payton up the court.

....your turn...

like I say, I agree and disagree. This discussion is a matter of "unreproachability," the HIGHEST of all sports honors!!

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree with Mr. 'Pere, Francis hasn't tapped into his potential yet. But I watched Cuttino for about a year or so in college, and you guys haven't seen the best of Cuttino. While he isn't as talented as Francis, this guy has a TON of skills. As soon as he calms down and gets a better shot selection and focuses he will be an All-Star. Mobley's defense is MUCH better then he shows, FAR better, but he falls into the trap a lot of young players do, he is so focused with offense he forgets to defend. Same thing with Francis. Mobley is a solid rebounding 2-guard, and when he improves his shot more, and he will, he will be so lethal it won't even be funny. We have an awesome backcourt. This backcourt could carry us to an NBA championship when they're on their game. There IS NOT a backcourt in the NBA that can matchup with them when they're clicking. It's just a matter of maturing. Forget about building solely around Francis, Houston needs to build around this backcourt. Give the Rockets decent frontcourt production and the sky's the limit! This team reminds me of a quicker, flashier version of the Detroit Pistons of the late '80s.

#22 RocksMillenium, Aug 30, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2001
  3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Mobley is further along than Francis on both counts, not to mention having legend status of taking oral surgery at half-time on no aenesthetic to bounce off the table and score 27 2nd-half points for the win!!

I believe that was the game at Minnesota, on New Year's Day.

The Rockets lost.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yep, and it was only 24 points.

Notice how I don't get away with exaggerating a legend story with reproachable players, yet Francis did not break Iverson's rib on a cross-over and no one wants to stop that exaggeration.

...OK, I think I'm into a rhythm now.

Oh, and did I say Mobley is better looking, and cooler under fire!

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

Hey guys, I'm here. Actually, it's lucky I happened to see this... I just got a new teaching job and have little free time now, but anyway. :)

The story posted by heypee/crispee is pretty much it... Karla destroyed the guy's face (I don't think he was even able to play basketball again... I'll ask my husband about the severity of the injury) and walked away. His coach made him go out there and act like he cared. It was obvious that he didn't. I think he muttered some forced apology.

I wasn't there, though. It was during my husband's time at Rice, and we did not overlap there. I'm a good bit younger than all y'all. :)

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Rockets may have lost, but he scored 30 point is 34 freaking minutes, unbelievable!!!! I had completely forgot about that game! I even found this quote by Chauncey Billups about Cat:

<i>"He's a great player. If you can get to the basket and make your shot like he does, you can (score 30+) in this league."

</i>