1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Warning (Provocative): What makes Francis Unreproachable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Aug 30, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, I've been watching a lot of tape again during this dry spell. hehe. You know, our boy does make a lot of mistakes. But there is this thing about him, where your mind just says, "good try Stevie, that's all you can do." Compare this to our approach to Mobley. As much as I love Cuttino and think he has a goto move Francis only dreams of, plus he is better looking than Stevie (those Isiah good looks), I still have to admit to myself that I cringe at his mistakes. There is something about a Cuttino mistake where you go "damn, dude! let Stevie have it" versus Stevie slipping on his butt trying a useless cross-over and you go "nice try."

Why is that?

<ol>
    <li>Stevie is unreproachable because it is like admitting you are personally wrong if our franchise makes a mistake. You know, like you can't bare to go to school the next day, because people will rib you.
    <b>You are a L'il fan!</b>
    <li>Stevie is unreproachable because he has so much potential, and you believe it is great for the team to let him make his mistakes to the point you don't even think they are mistakes.
    <b>You are ZRB!</b>
    <li>Stevie is unreproachable because it is only fair, since many other superstars get treated like saints, too.
    <b>You are the crank.</b>
    <li>Stevie is unreproachable because all Rockets are. You really do not think anyone's mistake is worthy of criticism.
    <b>You are The Cat!</b>
    <li>Stevie is unreproachable because the franchise player might have fragile self-esteem, and you worry that criticism might cause harm.
    <b>You are Kelvin Cato's Mom</b>
    <li>Stevie is unreproachable because you just love him and you are a rabid fan who believes cheering for wins trumps the need for reason.
    <b>You are a Reliant Energy commercial.</b></ol>

Anyone want to add one.

I'll start:
    In my life I've been each of the six (except #3) for various sports figures. As for basketball, when at Rice you are rooting for the underdog all the time. I tended to be #1 when watching Ricky Pierce play, because it took one minute of watching him to realize Rice isn't getting a player like this for decades, and you enjoy seeing him destroy the big schools; plus, your actual buds are out there on the court--for me it was Tyronne, Kenny and Teddie. Post-Pierce (the bad years), you become #6. Later, when we became more competitive and I was watching as an alumn, I got focused on growth of the team and was fortunate to have inside knowledge of the system. Then you realize no one is unreproachable, yet no one is really to blame when executing the game plan. You cheer for hard work and focus. You cheer for growth.

As a Rocket's fan watching a new transition, I enjoy being critical while remaining patient of mistakes as long as they are from building good habits versus bad habits. You have to nip those bad habits in the bud. That is what coaches do.

I tend to believe I can read the difference between a "good" mistake and "bad" mistake. Francis has some "bad" mistakes.

What makes him unreproachable?

2. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Crispie Cutter:

You have far too much time on your hands. ;)

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Stevie is unreproachable because he's probably the only PG in the league that's on the business end of alley oops more often than not...

Steve has made some pretty bonehead mistakes, but he always seems to come back strong

Of course, he's never really been in a "must win" situation, so I think we'll learn a lot about him this year

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I gotta second that:D

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Not to mention an unhealthy attentiveness to the handsomeness of our players. ;)

Let's not forget that Mobley has more experience as a player in both college and the pros and continues to shoot a below average percentage.

Francis isn't unreproachable, however. He's often been criticized for his antics and drawing technicals.

But he's been shooting well, rebounding well and doing everything he needs to do to win. Now let's just hope he doesn't...

Well, you get the point.

6. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Crisp, it sounds like our times at Rice overlapped a bit. Do you remember the Karl Malone-Dave Ramer incident? I was gone by then and only have snippets of info. I would love to have a first-hand account, article from the Thresher, etc., for my "Why I Hate Karl Malone" web site.

P.S. Don't consider Francis unreproachable at all, but remember he's just a kid, unlike that savvy veteran Cuttino Mobley, who was on a playoff team and was the first option on offense, beating out guys like Olajuwon, Barkley, and ... uh... what was the name of that guy who dribbled the ball off his foot, but blamed the loss on Barkley? ;)

7. JAG

JAG Member

I see another reason...and my dual status as Rockets and Raptors fan gives a little insight into this...

Stevie, like any young franchise player approaching his free agency period (I know, it's two years, but the deal should get done next year...) is being, and is going to be coddled...By the franchise, by the fans, by the local media (to an extent)...I watched the Raptors go through it with Vince Carter, as I'm sure GS did with AJ, Boston with PP, etc...And we, to a degree, pick up on it...Ask yourselves, honestly, when the Rockets make a move, isn't one of your first reactions " How will Stevie take this? Will he like it?" When the Rocks trade a first rounder to grab Morris, aren't you partly happy because it seems to be doing what Stevie wants?

Well, if we are doing this, to any degree, doesn't it follow that we will, consciously or not, afford him a certain leniency when it comes to his on-court errors? Would it be natural for us to want to cater to him (within reason) in one way and yet remain completely unaffected by that desire in another? I agree that his on court performance is what makes us want to keep him, but now that he's established his potential, aren't we guilty of coddling him a bit too? It's endemic to the NBA to look at your team's superstar with rose-coloured glasses, and we see it in the way Phoenix fans turned a blind eye to Kidd's erratic shot, or Sixers fans would forgive AI's occasionaly costly over-dribbling, or, yes, the way Raptors fans would ignore VC's periodic defensive lapses...

So, why would we be any different? I love Francis, and to be honest I don't see enough of him to really know about these "mistakes" we're discussing, but I have seen that his handle can be a little erratic for a point, and the cause is often trying to be too complicated. I think he'll improve, indeed I think he already has, but it is true that Mobley's willingness to let fly too many prayers is discussed a whole lot more than Stevie's tendancy to occasionally make it clear to all that he can school his man one-on-one rather than just making a move and beating him to the cup...

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Francis is unreproachable because there are many of us on this BBS who don't get to watch many games. We read recaps of games and opinions by other posters on the BBS who have seen the games. The overall sentiment on the BBS is, generally, that Franicis is the Franchise, and Cat is Jack (somtimes). Because the fans who can't see and judge for themselves are instead forced to read the rantings of people calling for Cat's head, the general opinions multiply like rabbits in heat. I realize that this is not the original cause of the unreproachableness (?), but it does create a snowball effect.

Edit: By the way, great topic, HP. Good to see some original ideas for discussion thrown out there.

#8 RunninRaven, Aug 30, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2001
  9. heypartner

oeilpooh,

Yep....August is slow going. If it wasn't for my occassional project sales pitches and wedding plans, I'd have nothing to do but watch tape and cook bbq and smoke myself on the bbs to a crispee treat.....hmmmm that heypee was one tasty morsel.

And your long writing recently inspired me; same with DrN play call thread; same with Jeff's two articles to cure our blues. It's like, my turn! uhhhhhh, what should I write. Oh yeah, I've always wanted to say Mobley is better looking than Francis and makes less "bad" mistakes...we've got the wrong Poster Boy!

Not me, I took a hiatus for a stint in the Army during that incident.

Isabel has the best recollection, though. Her husband was at the game, I believe. It was an away game, no? Karla destroyed Dave's face with his patented elbow move and just walked away. His coach was so appalled that he had the disrespect to treat a collegian who's career he just ruined (and possible scholarship to boot) that he went out on the court and told Karla to go back and show some decency and concern.

If the searching worked, I could find the link of her story. Maybe she'll recite it for us again. Or better yet, have her hubby login and give us the scoop.

10. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Hey pops, we won't have too much time on our hands if we had info to talk about. :D
    Haha, I know about the Golden State thing, but is there more... please share!!

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

I honestly think that Steve is so far below his potential talent it is scarry. He has a ways to go to reach his full peak and personally having watched tons of B-Ball in my lifetime, he will be playing a long long time ..... we just keep comparing him to guys and forget that he can stand head to head with some of them in SOME parts of their game even now in his young career.

What happens when comparing him to others ......

Iverson for instance ..... we overlooked the fact that Francis is far past the " ... maturing ... court command .... team instrument ... to be used by the coach" stage. Iverson took an entire college career and pro career to capture (just last year) that truth. Steve has embraced that aspect of the game early and is way ahead of Iverson at that level.

Payton for instance ..... we overlook the fact that Francis allows himself to make mistakes and does not blame others or harm others to compensate. Francis does not get his game in front of the team very often. When Payton does this (he looks more and more frustrated every year), he ball hogs and plays "makeup" and "catchup" while the team game suffers. I guess we may be talking coachable or team focused here attributes here again. I fully agree that when Payton is given the opportunity to take over the game, gets angry, etc... he can sometimes explode. Lately however, despite his talents, GP does as much harm as good. Francis does not do that.

Stephon Marbury for instance ... we overlook the fact that Francis plays a much better ball controlled offense as point guard than Marbury ever thought of doing. He has good eyes and looks down court a lot. Marbury tends to look down on the ball and make his game the game to play. Steve doesn't b**** about touches and he is complimentry to his team.

In conclusion: You never hear of Francis's name come up in trade rumors (or actual trades as in Marbury's case), but all three of these guys have rumors around them perenially. I know the argument will be that they have been playing longer and have developed bad as well as good habits .... but that makes my point ... too. So what they have bad habits. Francis is developing good habits. Let's compare.

No one ever discusses Marbury's seeming self destructive attitude, ball hogging or "loss of respect" in the league. This is the guy that MJ crowned "one of the best point guards in the league". What's he done?

Everyone keeps talking about Iverson's new found respect for the "team concept". Hell, Stevie has it all ready amd has had it for a couple of years.

Everyone talks about Payton's command of the game ... taking over .... well .... humph ... he still has that I guess ... ah ... but don't discount the effect that Francis has on a game either. I even find Steve more consistent in this than Gary Payton and expect to see a marked improvement every year for several years yet.

Francis can be criticized definitely, but stop this hometown attitude that the "greener grasses shine greener over there" attitude. I would take Francis over all three of these "superstars" mentioned above. Anyday. Anytime.

12. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I agree completely with you pops. He is not called the Franchise for nothing.

13. heypartner

Let's compare those three again,

none of them have a goto player like Cuttino to make their life simpler, and to take pressure off of them. Payton did, and was certainly running a successful team regardless of his fierce competitiveness. He destructive phase is also accompanied by Vin Baker losing his goto effort. Don't even start the business about Rashard Lewis being a goto player.

Cuttino is a scoring machine for Steve. Defenses worry as much if not more about the Cat as they do the "franchise." That is a luxury. They feed off each other. One is reproachable; one isn't...according to oeilpooh and his Li'l clan of pundits and cranks. ;)

seriously though, I do think Francis has bad habits, and his "way below potential" exists only in the ability for the whole team to grow. Stevie can't do it by himself, because he has not displayed a reliable last minute goto move that Iverson, Mobley, Payton and Marbury show (and Marbury is the identical age to Francis), nor has he displayed anything close to being a floor general who can execute to perfection to force the defense to make a choice of evils, like Kidd and Stockton can.

So far, sorry Mr. Franchise. I don't see it. I don't see superstar goto ability as scorer or playmaker. Not yet. Mobley is further along and always has been.

hehe....how's that for provocative versus oeilpere's sunshine superman saga.

14. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

That's exactly as I heard it. I'll try searching the BBS for Isabel's post or see if I can drop her a note.

Thanks!

P.S. I saw Alonzo Mourning at the beach with Li'l Kim and she was trying to talk him into coming to Houston, since "East coast rap suckz an' the Heat goin' noplace without Timmy."

P.P.S. Sorry, wrong thread.

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Stevie is unreproachable because he hasn't lost a big game yet. He is still coming into his potential, a potential which is very high. But at the same time it will have to be determined if he can pick up his game to the next level (ie the playoffs).
    I can almost promise you that if we don't make the playoffs this year that there will be much more negativity towards him. His first year was disasterous with the injuries to Dream & CB4. Last year we all knew was a rebuilding year.
    This upcoming year is when he has to become the "Franchise". Up until this point he has shown us lots of flash, but without much to show for it (no playoffs). Granted he really hasn't had the talent but this year with the addition of Rice and Griff he will have to step up.
    Like I said before Stevie has a higher upside than most NBA players and this will have to be the year that he picks up this team and his teammates and truly leads them.

16. Tmo

Tmo Member

Why is Stevie unreproachable?

Because he encouraged the Rockets to pick Tmo. That's my kind of loyalty.

17. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

I KNEW you were going to say that..... like Johnny Cochrane bringing up the "Go-To Guy" card.

If we want to take the argument (well ... discusion ... ;) ) to the next step we have to establish the ground rules.

If we are discussing "reproach-ability" of a ............... (insert player) let's confine it to comparisons of single players.

We can discuss forever ( well ... argue ;) ) the merits of all the contributing factors of success, but .....

1. The unstoppable combos of Payton and Kemp, or Marbury and Kevin Garnett, Iverson and the entire team, etc .... so lets even the field and say they all had equal opportunities to show their worth. All things then being equal .... supporters and all .... I will stand by my assessment of Francis and his worth versus the three musketeers (Payton,Marbury and Iverson) mentioned.

2. Francis's "bad habits" are only a measure of how far he has yet to grow. (That ought to get quoted in a soon to be posted Crispee answer). The fact is Francis is improving yearly in spite of these "bad habits" and in the short brief time he has been playing. Wheresas, the "bad habits" of the three mentioned are evolutionary culminations of their inability to play a team game consistently, and yet they get all the press in spite of these growing shortcomings. The only one of the three that seems to be struggling to control his own "bad habits" seems to be Iverson ... but **** he gets all the press anyway.

3. And, that's basically what we are talking about. Reproach or not to reproach .... it is clearly defined by how the media sees their game ( and the fan perception of individual players ). I can almost live with Francis slowly and methodically creeping up on the game of these heralded "beyond reproach" superstars ... to the point where I fully expect some day to be reading in some established sports journal that the "New Arrival of New The Phenom" in describing Francis.

Meanwhile, Iverson will never play in another Finals, Marbury will be traded six more times, and Payton will be traded to a more "congenial and competitive" atmosphere (read that as whoever will pay Seattle top dollar for a fading star .... (Toronto?) .... to wait out his angry few years left in the spotlight.

4. The success via "whole team to grow" reference. Do you really feel that Francis's success should be discounted because it was a natural progression because the team was doing pretty good ... so Stevie was doing pretty good? In contrast, do you honestly think that any superstar merely needs "pickup-also rans" to succeed? I know you don't think that ... that is why I can't understand the reference ..... At worse, the implication by your use of the phrase above, infers that special talents, superstars, etc ... like Steve Francis ... that attribute their success to adopting a team concept, should draw much less accolades, and be given a much diminshed sense of importance by observers .... simply because they have played the game using a successful and proven formula .........

Every exceptional player makes everyone around him a better player. Every successful team has a roster of players that have learned to play as a team.

That is .... well, it is .... it's, ah..... outrageous. (I'm flustered.)

5. Frankly Stockton has one game and one game only. Stockton is to hold the ball and shoot with a fair to middling personal career average, or to pass to Malone who has an extremely high FG percentage. Now that is a great success story. It has been done for so many years with so much consistentcy that maybe some have forgotten that it still is a one act dog and pony act. He plays this single dimension game pretty damn well and is applauded beyond reasonable bounds .... sort of like your argument in reverse.

6.Kidd's game has grown very well over the last several years. But as he was growing he did not have the same depth of game that I see in Francis. I know, I know that is probably your point ... that you do not see that broad stroke depth that I and others proclaim .... But as illustration I thought Kidd was going to have a so-so career too. He still does not possess the "Take Over the Game" attitude that everyone keeps talking about IMHO. Give Francis as many years as Kidd, (and that's not many more) and we can compare both these guys ... or all of t6hem for that matter.

Simply put .... I believe Francis will be out scoring, out rebounding, out assisting, out dunking, out everything ..... all of the above mentioned guys ....

18. JAG

JAG Member

OP-

I totally agree and totally disagree at the same time...

While your assesments of the individual players are , in my opinion, bang on, your statement that these things aren't discussed is, I believe, way off...

With regards to Marbury, I have heard endless criticism of his ball hogging, me first attitude...Have you heard the nickname "Starbury"? I've almost univerally heard it in a derogotory manner...Remember at the beginning of last year, when SM was putting up 30 shots a night, that was all I heard about him, his shots..My God, he was almost taking as many shots a game as Jordan did...

The same goes for Payton and Iverson...AI may be the most oft-criticised superstar in the NBA, and Payton's stock has gone way down, at least in part to the perception that he's becoming more and more ego-centric...

On the other hand, all the positive comments about Stevie are, in my opinion, fairly acknowledged by Rockets fans here and elsewhere...Virtually all of his considerable attributes you have pointed out are brought up whenever we are asked to compare him to Starbury, or VC, etc...

My point is that we're biased...We can't help but be...I know I am...While among my peers I can argue relative virtues, etc..when I'm out on the mean streets of overall NBA fans I'm ready to rumble in defense of Stevie Wonder, et al.

I honestly would take over any other player from his draft class, and I would take him over any player at his position in the league, given age and upside...But just like Christians and Muslims honestly each believe in different things, if you and I were , say, Clippers fans, I think we'd justifiably think the same about Lamar Odom...The difference is that we'd be wrong...:)

P.S.... That was my first official smiley face....

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Steve's unreproachable, because he's a #1 pick & Cat's not.

Steve's unreproachable, because the Rockets haven't had a real good PG since Lucas.

Steve's unreproachable, because he doesn't paint as big a target on his back as Cat does when he fails to deliver. In other words, Steve would rather let Cat take the final game winning (or losing) shot....

Hey, wait a minute. That would make Steve a slacker. Let's trade his reproachable butt to Golden State. :D

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

4.Stevie is unreproachable because all Rockets are. You really do not think anyone's mistake is worthy of
    criticism.
    You are The Cat!

:)

Actually, one of my main points has been that Stevie should be subject to more criticism around here. Whenever we lose, most of the posters around here are eager to immediately point the finger at Cuttino or Mo, and not give Steve much of the blame. You win as a team, and you lose as a team... and Steve is still part of that team either way.