1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[War with Iran] Not a matter of IF but WHEN

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BlastOff, Aug 3, 2006.

1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

(as usual, my apologies if this has already been posted)

UN Security Council Give Iran a Deadline of August 31st before they are subject to sanctions

Unless Iran backs down very soon, I think war is very possible. On the other hand, the US in particular has to be very careful considering what is already going on with Israel/Lebanon, Afghanistan and Iran. With all of that going on things could considerably spiral out of control, suddenly making WWWIII a reality rather than a conspiracy theorist's nightmare come true.

2. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Sorry for seemingly replying to myself (not like I haven't done that before), but I mean Iraq in terms of conflicts already taking place in the Middle East.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

Not sure on setting off WWIII, but Iran has it's fingers in all kinds of pots right now, and something needs to be done. I'm not the guy with the answers... but I hope the leadership of this country can come up with something better than Iraq 2.0.

4. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

We have no troops to go to Iran and the whole world knows it.

If we were some how able to extricate our troops from Iraq and go into Iran that would be a harder fight than Iraq. What a nightmare. It would take another terrorist attack on the US that the Bush could blame on an Iranian backed group to even remotely get the public support for an invasion of Iran.

This administration has used up the "trust us" card.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you pretty much nailed it. further iran has not shown any urge to attack another nation.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The American public wouldn't really care about an attack on Iran until the price of oil was heading past $120 per barrell.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Rhetoric of the
    goal of wiping another nation off the map? (which was also recently stated btw)

Sorry, but the kind of government and support of terrorism should go...TO HELL :mad: ...of course...IMO. knaaa ;)

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

You are correct, they are doing it by proxy.

9. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

On one hand I agree robbie, but what if they are cornered ala Cuba, North Korea, Iraq? Would they be the nation to lash out? It's a possibility that I am hoping the folks in Washington are also considering.

10. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

You got that right. In fact, I read somewhere today that Iran is expecting it to reach > $200 a barrel. Some of that is rhetoric of course, but the vicinity of $150 is seems possible.

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

With u.s. troops in Iraq, North Korea and Iran know this is their chance to develop nukes, while the U.S. can only make fuss and not war.

Basically, the Bush strategy completely backfired. Had he not gone into Iraq, he would have more leverage with Iran adn N. Korea...but he did, and not only did he find out that he was wrong about Iraq, he has to live with the responsibility of allowing two other states labeled in his axis of evil of attaining the unthinkable.

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

But Saddam tried to kill my Daddy!!!!

[​IMG]

13. ROXRAN

yo Tex, you wish you had hair like that. funny.

14. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I don't know about that... what two countries are the US occupying? Afganistan and Iraq. What country lies smack in the middle? Maybe that's why Iran is making so much noise right now. Maybe that's the real reason we went into Iraq and Afganistan...

15. ROXRAN

good point...It could be... :)

16. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Bush did not "find out that he was wrong" ... he made sure he was right!!!!...the man made sure there were no WMD before he invaded Iraq. If you don't believe me ask the U.N. chief weapons inspector Hans Blix...funny before the war he said the U.S is making a mistake...nobody cared.

17. insane man

insane man Member

the reason iran is strutting around on this stuff is because everyone knows US can't go into iran.

sure they might be sanctioned but what are you gonna do. not buy their oil? and its not like they export anything.

worse case for iran is they can't buy all the technology they can right now from europe. which wont matter much because frankly their economy though it has oil money...doesn't have enough to go get serious infrastructure help from europe anyway. any stuff they could afford they'll be able to get arab/chinese/russian firms to do.

best case however means iran gets a nice deal from the US because the US realizes it has absolutely no leverage here.

sanctions on iran=100 plus oil prices=serious economic repercussions for the world.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just nuke em and get it over with...in fact, Nuke the whole middle east so the rest of the world can live in peace.

:rolleyes:

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

we'd first have to extract all the oil...i don't want to be paying more for my gas :D

20. ROXRAN

Very true.