1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Want to go to Con in Dallas, never been there or travelled on my own

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Aug 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

No need to be insulting people...everyone has had different life experiences and levels of mentoring.

Megabus can be as cheap as a buck, but my wife usually goes to Dallas for about $6-10. It sounds like Uber is the way to go for you once you get there (at least for the one free ride.) I'd expect there to be buses that go by the convention center, but maybe the city public transport is as bad as they say.

I'd try to meet some people at the convention. Talk to everyone you see there and maybe they'll hook you up with a ride or a place to crash.

Btw, craigslist or some online site probably has ride sharing to Dallas and back for some gas money.

People are cool, get out and meet some. Most of the asshats are on the internet.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sounds like Megabus then check craigslist all over Texas to see if any other attendees want to let you sleep on the floor of their hotel room for $20. Not only will you have a cheap place to stay you will meet fellow enthusiasts. Bring your own food, drink water. You're at around $60.

Another idea, if you have decent credit (yes, it's possible at 19), is to hit slickdeals and see if you can get a credit card with a sign on bonus that gets you a free hotel stay. Then you could leverage it to let other people stay with you for money.

Just keep in perspective that traveling in comfort costs money and that you're going for the event, not the travel or accommodations.

Another free tip: don't feed the internet trolls.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Buy a return ticket ahead of time. Nicer hotels have safes. Use it. Loose crap in room will be stolen. Tip cleaning service. Don't drink out of hotel room glasses. Bottles only. Take cabs while in Dallas.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

White people are gonna eat your lunch in the professional world, assuming between your aversion to saving or planning, penchant for immediate gratification, procrastination, quickness to self-victimization in racial context and inclination to indulging in fantasy worlds rather than networking or assimilating into the real one you can engender enough trust or confidence in campus recruiters to even waste time on an interview. You have literally hit for the cycle of plausible racial stereotypes. Have fun forwarding IT support calls and shredding old invoices on that INROADS internship.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Kid, you are seriously deluded. I'm white, and I grew up poor as hell. I was even homeless at one point, and I managed to finish High School, pay for college on my own and now I have a very nice career.

I know some very, very wealthy non-white folks. Quit making excuses based on your race. Americans love a fighter and will help them.

#25 Xerobull, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

so are you actually going to the Con, or are you making useless posts asking about going?

you should book tickets to the convention and then google some cheap hotels in the neighborhood. I gained this experience from going to a big convention called Comic Con San Diego. I had to drive there in my car that I do not own yet.

I've taken Greyhound from one major city to another. It gets you from point A to point B. it's kind of sketchy sometimes.

I have also relied on public transportation when traveling in strange cities. I highly recommend it. buses, subways, etc.

get a map.

also, you know you can rent a car for a weekend, right? it might run you between $50 and $100.

if that is the lifestyle of a rich white person, then call me extravagant.

good luck to you on your first trip ever, sir.

man, we're talking about DALLAS

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

You might not be able to rent a car at 19. Most companies will only rent to 25+ (although sometimes you get lucky).

Take the bus. I'm actually typing this post from a NY-DC bus as we speak. Lodging will really screw you financially. Assuming you don't know anyone in Dallas with a spare couch, I'd suggest looking for a youth hostel (if any exist in Dallas) or trying to stay at a Y for the night (assuming they still do that at Ys in Dallas).

8. yo

yo Contributing Member

Some of you need to belittle people on the internet to feel better about yourselves. Pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Damn, Megabus charges $56 for a round trip. A bit much, especially since it's going to go up as the days go by I hear. Are there any other cheap alternatives?

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not sure what options are available for Dallas. But there's greyhound, megabus, boltbus, yo!...

At this point, you're probably better off going with a friend with a car and splitting a cheap motel and gas money (and bringing your own food if you're hellbent on saving money).

11. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The guy's asking an honest question and some of y'all feel the need to criticize him for not being able to do what you did at that age. Lots of insecurity and displaced anger in this thread. People learn and grow in different ways at different times. No need to tear others down just for the sake of it.

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If you need to find a place to stay for free, try visiting couchsurfers.com. I think that's the name of the website. One of my cousins used it a few times when he was traveling to get free board. If I ever used that website, I would at least offer to pay for dinner somewhere to compensate for the free room/floor/couch.

Alright, I googled it. Here's the link https://www.couchsurfing.org/

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sorry, but the rich white stuff and then putting saving in air quotes killed me. Still harboring that lack of perspective this close to post-cosplay, self-transport and -sustenance adulthood is gonna shut some doors on you fairly quickly, especially when you're outnumbered five-to-one. He needs to take the #77 to check out the day-campers at McKinney and San Jacinto to see what's up.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

When I was 19, I was still jerking off and playing video games. Not at the same time though.

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yeah 19 years old with a small worldview shouldn't be a surprise. His response might show his youth but his initial question was valid. You don't learn if you don't ask....and teaching through patience yields change a lot faster than contempt and judgement. The latter just reinforce people into a narrow view of life.

If people are willing to hammer a 19 year old for being untraveled with limited awareness of the world and society, might as well hammer away at all of us then. The older you get and the more aware you are of the world around you, the more you ought to realize how little you really know and understand about the world. Stay humble folks.....

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Lotta bad peeps in Dallas.

You gonna die man.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Honest feedback. If you can't afford $56, you probably should consider skipping the event. What all the people in this thread telling you to get a cab or Uber it once in the DFW area aren't telling you is that the local rides will cost just as much if not more than the $56 bus tickets.

What's your budget anyway? It's kind of hard for people to help you if we have no idea how much you can spend. Again, if $56 is too much, it may not be realistic for you to go to this thing.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yep. That's what it looks like. This thread will be a nice reference point in the future for the holier than thou types that post here. Here's a chance to help someone and you see the result.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Having said that, OP please watch out on those buses.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mh0nmrOSFHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>