1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wang Meng: Destiny Plays Joke on JVG and the Franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Sep 13, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Saw this one from Titan Sports on tom.com 3 days ago....an article from Wang Meng.

Pretty interesting to know, eh?

If we had Steve Francis back say Feburary/March last season, do you guys think we would have sped past Utah Jazz to advance further deeper into the playoff?

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I overheard the phone conversation between CD and Isiah about SF.

CD: Hey Isiah, can the Knicks buyout SF and so we can have him back in minimum?

Isiah: That's exactly what we have in mind. I have already asked James Dolan to sign off the 30 millions buyout check. So, just be patient for a few more days.

:rolleyes:

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Reading that I would never say that Steve is going back to Houston.
    We were all only secretly hoping for that to come.

4. pillage

pillage Member

Okay, Pryuen, I'm not killing the messenger (still appreciate the good translation work) I'm just killing the message (the article). While this "could" have happened I have my doubts. If JVG was so interested in having a shooting point guard capable of creating his own shot rather than Alston, why was he alright with the James for Alston trade?

That being said, who would have been traded to NY for Steve's contract? I think the Rockets got lucky with Francis getting bought out after his trade to Portland. This article is way too full of conjecture.

5. Coca Cola Scola

This is confusing. Why would the Rockets call up the Knicks....if the Knicks were thinking about buying out Francis? Francis had a huge contract so it would not have been likely a trade....signing Francis after he's bought was the only possibility, but the Knicks and Rockets don't need to communicate for that. The Knicks can just buy him out or not.

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, in recent interviews of Yao Ming, particularly in the one online chatroom he conducted for his fans in sohu.com, he confirmed that the Houston Rockets attempted to get Steve Francis back last season. So there could be some truth in what Wang Meng wrote. :rolleyes:

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe JVG realized after a season and a half that Rafer wasn't any good and that giving up MJ for Rafer was a mistake.

If we got SF from the Knicks last season it wouldn't have been from a trade. If Jamal Crawford hadn't got hurt it was thought the Knicks would likely have bought SF out and released him in March to save a few million.

8. blender

blender Member

I don't know how a news reporter could get away with writing a whole article without any attributions or citations.

Then again, I guess guys like Peter Vescey get away with the same thing, except they tack on a "Sources tell me..."

9. blender

blender Member

Oh and of course, thanks Pryuen for the translation. :)

10. battousai

battousai Member

i think the article all the writer's specluation. too many things don't make sense and addup.

We just don't have the pieces to trade with NY for SF. The only thing that would make sense is JVG approval of SF coming back once he get brought out. JVG realized that losing MJ was the biggest mistake and putting alston at the helm.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is not really anything new. It was reported last year in the Chronicle and other places that the Rockets were interested in Francis - I don't know about the specifics in wang's article and don't really think it matters, but I find it hard to believe that the Rockets were interested in Francis without JVG's sign-off.

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Kirk Snyder has a not-so-sober brain?

:confused: :D

13. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

You are so misinformed. Last year there were several articles in various newspapers in New York that the Knicks were considering buying out Steve's contract. Obviously the Rockets couldn't comment on it until he actually was bought out, but Feigens and Blinebury were asked about it in their blogs and both of them said it would be likely that the Rockets would sign him if he did agree to the veteran's minimum.

During the offseason, JVG confirmed this on Sportsradio 610 and CD confirmed this on Calvin Murphy's show on 97.5 The Ticket.

14. longbow111

longbow111 Member

I think this story isn't totally imagination and "creation" by Wangmeng, but the CD call Knicks part is totally BS. You can buy out or you can trade, but you can't do both. For Rockets, trade with knicks is not an option beause they don't have the suitable pieces to make the trade at that time. So if Rockets want to sign Francis after New York buyout Francis, you have no reason to call them before buyout because that's not your business, you also have no reason to call them after buyout because that's not their business. What's CD supposed to say to Thomas in the phone, " Isiah, please hurry, we need to sign Francis to the vet. min. asap."?

15. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I heard about this rumor. Francis and Yao were both rehabbing together in Houston last season when they were hurt. Francis was waiting to get waived, and the Knicks were going to, and he would have come back to Houston, but Jamal Crawford got hurt, and the next night Francis all of a sudden got healthy and was in the lineup for NY. If we had Francis or James last year, we easily make it to the Conference Finals.

16. Htown57

Htown57 Member

"brain-not-so-sober Kirk Snyder"

ahhh hahahahah