1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walt signed by Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by calbear, Oct 17, 2002.

1. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/1017/1447435.html

After missing out in their attempts to sign Rashard Lewis and Michael Redd, the Dallas Mavericks have turned to Walt Williams to address their void at small forward.

Williams, a 10-year veteran who spent the past three seasons in Houston, was expected to arrive in Dallas on Friday to take a physical and then sign a one-year deal Saturday for the $1 million veteran minimum.

The Mavericks' four-year, $12 million offer sheet to Milwaukee's Redd, a restricted free agent, was matched earlier this week by the Bucks. Seattle's Lewis contemplated a move to Dallas for much of the summer before opting to stay with the Sonics, who had the salary-cap flexibility to offer him a richer deal.

Dallas needs depth at small forward because Adrian Griffin (back) and Tariq Abdul-Wahad (knee) have struggled with their health, leaving the Mavericks exposed. Eduardo Najera is a combo small forward/power forward and newcomer Raja Bell has been the only other option at that spot to either spell or play alongside Michael Finley.

Williams, 32, averaged 9.4 points in 48 games for the Rockets last season, highlighted by 42.6-percent shooting from 3-point range.

--
    hehe, espn has this under college bball for some reason

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Good for Walt .........

3. Miggidy Markell

Walt is personally one of my favourites because he has a shooting touch that is rare in the league these days. Dallas would have been the last place I would have liked him to go but good luck Walt.

I wonder how Shawn Bradley will get along with the Wizard after their elbow/punch confrontation. :D

4. shuttle

shuttle Member

Utah is the last place I would have liked Walt to go!!!!!!!

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Good for Walt.

I always appreciated him as a Rocket and preferred him to Glen Rice at this stage in their careers (took mucho heat for that opinion). I hope he has a stellar regular season except for all but 4 games!!! :D

6. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Darn I have seasons to the Mavs, and I really don't even like the MAVS. In fact, I won't like them now even with Walt

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I agree GATER. Walt Williams is a much better deal at small forward than is Rice. He takes up way to much cap space.

8. herbie hancock

i remeber when his wife got car jacked for their caddy escalade, always felt bad for him after that

9. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I like Walt too. It's gonna hard to see KT, MoT, Rice, and Boki put the hurt on him. Kinda wish he went to the Leastern conference were he would be more appreciated.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Wizard is one of the GREAT NBAers, a few games a year...and never two game sin a row. I've never understood why.

Good luck -- except against the Rox.

11. aries323

aries323 Member

I liked the Wizard at the 3 better than Rice because Rice takes up cap space. That is not saying much. Good Luck to the Wiz.:rolleyes:

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

walt at $1Mil is a much better deal than rice at $8M, but just wait until glens final contract year we will be able to trade him to anone that wants cap relief in return for a good role player so we dont go away empty handed.

if juwan howard can be traded twice....we can get rid of rice once.

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

The Mavs signed Walt to upgrade their defense! :D

14. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Agree very much.
    I'd rather have Walt instead of Rice at this point in their careers, mainly because of $$$.
    To this day, I don't get why we signed Rice?

For Dallas though, I guess they're really going to try to outscore people this season. The way their offense is setup, Walt could be getting a lot of open looks from the 3.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we didnt sign him, we traded for him.

16. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

More proof of where we stand in the West. Two of our rejects are now members of the rotation of two of the top 4 teams in the west. Nuff said!

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't get dallas sometimes. Their biggest weakness is defense and they get another shooter that doesn't play D. Nellie and Cuban are a bunch of numbnuts.

18. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I'm not sure how mauch attention you guys pay attention to notes from the Mavs camp but from what I've been hearing they have yet to practice any offense this year. The entire training camp has been all about defense. Of coarse it's still going to take some time for them but at least it's a start. On Tuesday against the Pistons (when Dirk had 37 points) the Mavs had 40 steals in the game, and drew nearly 20 charges against the Pistons.

19. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

Who cares about the Mavs. Good for Walt Williams, but lets be his gettig old. Lets focus on the Rockets and Yao Ming, and support them to make the playoffs! Let's focus on the present and not on the past.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They lost and gave up almost 110 points. Imagine if they didn't try to play D. :eek: