1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walt may be working out for Sonics

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2002.

1. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I think Malt was born to be a coffee spokesperson.

"My love will always go out to a nice cup of java. Tall, dark, and hot. Mmmmmmmm. Can you diggit, baby? It's one bad mudder."
    {shut yo mouth}

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

It's too bad the Rockets aren't going to re-sign Walt, but I'm glad he's coming to Seattle.

I'd rather watch Walt play than that greedy Rashard.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Where did that "fact" come from? CD said about a month ago that the Rockets were interested in Lewis and were hoping to pursue a sign and trade, since they knew he would want more money. You can't ever know for sure, but from that quote, it definitely sounded like they would have been willing to give him a long-term contract.

It's stupid to worry about the luxury tax three or four years from now, and I'm sure the Rockets aren't either. If they don't want to pay it, they could easily trade someone like Cato or Mo for an expiring contract with the lack of quality big men. CD and Les aren't going to let Griffin or Ming walk because of the luxury tax... they aren't morons. I'm not even sure if there's been one quote from Les where he said he refused to pay the tax. Remember, people also assumed the Kings wouldn't pay the tax this summer.

Worrying about contracts in the next few years is just pointless. We're over the cap anyway, so I don't particularly care if we paid Lewis 4 million or 10 million. If Les didn't want to pay the tax, in a couple of seasons we could trade Cato or Mo for an expiring contract. If we don't get Lewis, it's not because we didn't offer for him, or didn't say that he could earn money in the future... it's because he liked the scenario in Seattle or Dallas more. Believe it or not, that is possible.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

All I said, was that I have never heard anything about the Rockets offering Lewis the MCE. Does that mean they haven't offered it? Nope, not at all. But I do know that the Mavs made their intentions of wanting Rashard well known, and went all out in trying to entice him...the Rockets didn't do that.

I'm also taking into consideration the fact that Lewis has expressed interest throughout his career about playing in Houston. I don't really understand why all the sudden he would have completely lost interest in that, unless of course Houston just wasn't showing much interest in return. I mean, why would going to Dallas for the MCE be so much more appealing to him than signing to Houston for the MCE? Is it simply because Cuban "promises" him a big pay day? Apparently, Lewis and his agent don't learn very quickly. I think Seattle "promised" him the same thing. Too much can happen in three years to really promise a player something like that...surely Lewis' agent realizes that.

I don't know, maybe I'm just optimistic. But I wouldn't rule Lewis out until the deal is done. CD always seems to pull off something pretty incredible. And like I said, I'm not going to be angry if we don't get him and I'm not going to really blame the Rockets. But, if he signs with the Mavs for the MCE I will be a little dissapointed, because I don't feel we put in the same effort that Dallas did in trying to land him for the MCE.

#24 DCkid, Sep 11, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Walt wants to play for ZRB.

:cool:

6. franchise?..NOT

Rice Rocket You are an optimist. I guess you and I heard different interviews of Franchise on the radio last week? He was glad to have someone who could pass the ball back OUT to him. He should be planning to make Yao ROY and still all he can think of is his own game!!

7. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I was trying to plant a seed in case he is stalking...

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>All I said, was that I have never heard anything about the Rockets offering Lewis the MCE. Does that mean they haven't offered it? Nope, not at all. But I do know that the Mavs made their intentions of wanting Rashard well known, and went all out in trying to entice him...the Rockets didn't do that. </b>

That's not my point, what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter whether the Rockets offered him the MCE or not, he and his agent said they WOULD NOT take the MCE from the Rockets, they would only go to the Rockets in a sign-and-trade. That completely shuts the door on the Rockets signing him straight-up. The Rockets DID make their intentions known. You're making it seem like the Rockets completely ignored Lewis. The Rockets said they were interested in Lewis. Lewis made it known he wasn't interested in the Rockets. The minute he said "Dallas is a better organization then Houston" he showed that he would only use Houston as a bargaining chip and not a serious option.

<b>I'm also taking into consideration the fact that Lewis has expressed interest throughout his career about playing in Houston. I don't really understand why all the sudden he would have completely lost interest in that, unless of course Houston just wasn't showing much interest in return. I mean, why would going to Dallas for the MCE be so much more appealing to him than signing to Houston for the MCE? Is it simply because Cuban "promises" him a big pay day? Apparently, Lewis and his agent don't learn very quickly. I think Seattle "promised" him the same thing. Too much can happen in three years to really promise a player something like that...surely Lewis' agent realizes that. </b>

Why blame this on Houston. Just because he said he was interested in playing for the Rockets 3 years ago doesn't mean he's interested in playing for them now. The reason Dallas offer seems more tempting? Probably because Cuban is known to throw his money around, and all of the perks that the players get there. You also forget that Dallas is also a title contender RIGHT NOW! I'm sure the perks, the money, and the shot at a championship is the reason Dallas is high on his list.

<b>I don't know, maybe I'm just optimistic. But I wouldn't rule Lewis out until the deal is done. CD always seems to pull off something pretty incredible. And like I said, I'm not going to be angry if we don't get him and I'm not going to really blame the Rockets. But, if he signs with the Mavs for the MCE I will be a little dissapointed, because I don't feel we put in the same effort that Dallas did in trying to land him for the MCE. </b>

See you're blaming the Rockets. If Lewis doesn't want to play here what can the Rockets do? I mean his agent said he would take the MCE from the Mavs. He said they wouldn't take the MCE from the Rockets. How is it the Rockets fault that the Lewis and his agent won't accept the offer from the Rockets? They came right out and said they would only accept a a sign-and-trade. Seattle would only take Griffin. The Rockets can put all of the effort they want, and I'm sure they are, if the guy isn't going to take the MCE the Rockets can't force him.

#28 RocksMillenium, Sep 11, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Looks like Rockets are still talking with Rashard.

-------------------------------------------------------------

<b><i>Williams, Sonics talk about deal </I></B>

By Jayda Evans
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Walt Williams, who last played in Houston, has visited the Sonics.

With training camp opening Oct. 1, the Sonics continue to explore their options while free-agent forward Rashard Lewis decides whether to re-sign with the team or go elsewhere.

Houston's Walt Williams was brought in for talks yesterday and is the latest in a group of players the organization is considering. The Sonics brought in Wizards forward Popeye Jones in August and Hornets forward Lee Nailon earlier this week.

Williams, a 6-foot-8, 230-pound swingman, is a 10-year veteran and a proven shooter. Williams started 25 games for the Rockets last season and averaged 9.4 points, shooting 39.3 percent from three-point range.

"He's got experience," Sonics General Manager Rick Sund said. "With all three of these guys that we're bringing in, experience is one of the main reasons we're looking at them.

"With Walt, he's a three-man who can shoot the ball."

The Sonics won't make any free-agent acquisitions until they hear from Lewis, but negotiations have been stalled for a month.

The Sonics offered Lewis a seven-year contract worth $60 million with an additional $15 million in incentives. Lewis, who is also talking to the Dallas Mavericks <b>and Houston Rockets</b>, wants a contract worth $90 million.

10. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I was reading on a Mavs web site that says that Dallas also has interest in Walt Williams if Lewis decides to re-up with Seattle.

11. Bull-Horn

Bull-Horn Member

I don't think Rashard would be good for the Rockets. He is a good player, but the Rockets already have a glut of good players. By trying to throw in 'Shard you'll end up with a mess of a team. Think of all the overtalented teams that have never won a title.....Blazers....Sonics.....Bucks...US World Champ Team...and a ton more that overstock on talent. (Quite a few coached by G. Karl - That Coach sucks A$$)

Not every player on a team has to be a STUD. You need some grunts that aren't as good because you just don't have enough touches for a team of superstars. If the rockets try to get anyone it should be some grunt that will do the dirty work our stars don't like to do....Like play a little DEFENSE. :eek:

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lewis in, Williams out

Wouldn't it be fun for Lewis to sign for the MCE in Houston...and the Wizard to replace him in Seattle?