1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wally still wants the maximum or Knicks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mav3434, Aug 13, 2002.

1. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Ha ha, I can't make this stuff up. He sounds like as big a jerk as he is reported to be. What kind of an idiot would compare themselves salarywise to Allen Houston? That's like using Vin Baker as a benchmark. No wonder Kevin Garnett wanted to kick his ass.

WALLY WANTS KNICKS

By MARC BERMAN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY TO BE HOME:
    Long Island native Wally
    Szczerbiak would love to come back home and play for the Knicks
    if he can't come to contract terms with the Timberwolves.

August 12, 2002 --

Wally Szczerbiak makes no bones about it: The Knicks are the team he wants to play for. And if he is not afforded a maximum contract extension this summer by Minnesota and becomes a restricted free agent next year, the 6-7 Long Island swingman has the Knicks No. 1 on his list.

The Knicks would have to pull off a sign-and-trade with Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale, no easy task but not impossible next summer if the Wolves believe they'd lose Szczerbiak to another team without compensation.

Szczerbiak, who just bought a house in Manhasset, spent the afternoon in the Knick neighborhood yesterday, signing autographs for 250 kids at the "Gatorade New York Knicks Summer Basketball Camp" at Chelsea Piers' Basketball City.

GM Scott Layden loves his fundamentally sound game, shooting ability, toughness and intelligence. He broke into a big smile yesterday when told Layden has made attempts to trade for him this summer.

"It's great, man," Szczerbiak told The Post. "I can't lie. This is where I've always been drawn too, even when I went to Miami of Ohio. I always came back in summer, telling the coaches, ‘Don't expect to see me at all.' It's the same way with Minnesota.

"During the summer, I want to go home to the Long Island beaches. Minnesota is where I play, but New York is always my home. I've always been a big Knick fan. They've always been a team I loved to watch as a kid. It's a very intriguing place for me to play. Playing at home would be great."

McHale has rebuffed all Layden inquiries. He has no desire to take on Latrell Sprewell, he said, "because of his contract and other things." Indeed, the market for Sprewell has dried up, evidenced further by the Sixers refusing to take him in any deal for Dikembe Mutombo. Missing that April shootaround in Miami and sleeping to 4 p.m. apparently has rekindled Sprewell's past among some GMs.

A TV report in mid-July stating the Knicks discussed a three-team trade with Detroit in which Layden would land Szczerbiak was inaccurate, according to two Piston officials and T-wolves director of personnel Rob Babcock.

The All-Star Szczerbiak said that his agent Gary Wichard is embroiled in extension talks with McHale and - yes - he is seeking a maximum extension.

"Seeing [Shawn] Marion get it, [Baron] Davis get it, I feel like I'm there with those two guys," Szczerbiak said. "I want to be paid fairly. You look at the way I play against the Ray Allens, Sprewells, the Houstons, Michael Finleys. You stack up the numbers, I just want to be compensated accordingly."

Without an extension, the 25-year-old sharpshooter is ready to bolt next summer. McHale said in mid-July he's not dealing him, but next summer enough teams will have cap room to sign Szczerbiak outright. That's where the Knicks' bargaining position improves to force a sign-and-trade.

"Obviously it's a big compliment they don't want to part with me and really want me to be back," he said. "I feel comfortable there, too. But you never know what to expect. In this business, you always have to keep an open mind. New York is a very intriguing place.

"Minnesota's great, but it's pretty darn cold in the winter. There are a lot of intriguing places to play in the NBA, and no question the Knicks are one of them. If the extension gets done this summer, the extension gets done. But there's no question in my mind I'm not locked into Minnesota by any means."

2. Stylez

Stylez Member

OMG! What a jerk! He just basically said he would only stay in Minn. for the money. Not for the fans, not for his team or his org., just the cash. I understand wanting to come home in all but at least act like you kinda want to continue playing for the team that drafted you and you still currently play for. People are killing Francis on this site for saying he's "unsure" about Ming and wants to know about the future direction of the team so TWolve fans must be all over this gut right now. Hell, even RLewis is saying that Seattle is just jerking him around and that if they come correct, their option #1. Wally is saying he's as good as gone b/c he knows Minn. can't afford to give him the MAX. the relationship between Wally and everyone else down w/ the TWolves should be very interesting to watch this coming season.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, and I'm sure New York winters are nice and warm...

Yo mc mark, you play much golf in New York during December and January? :D

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't really think he's being a jerk. He's just trying to get as much money as possible even though he may not exactly be worth the max. There's nothing wrong with that. If there are teams that will pay him it than he has every right to ask for it from Minnesota.

5. mav3434

mav3434 Member

No, wanting money doesn't make him bad, but for a guy who has a bad rep with his teammates in the past, this article doesn't make him sound so sweet. Secondly, when he compares himself to Allen Houston, it's like you're knowingly demanding to be overpaid. He has about as much chance as getting a maximum contract as I do, although the Knicks are pretty dumb, they might fall for it .

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, it's true. White players can be selfish, egotistical, non passing jerks, as well.

Don't look down Wally. Look Up. Mobley is better than you. You can't stop Cat. You can only stop the old Finley's and Houston's.
    <font size=2 face=courier>
    game 1:
    Wally 6-12 12pts
    Cat 9-14 24pts

game 2:
    Wally 8-15 18pts
    Cat 8-19 21pts

game 3:
    Wally 6-15 13pts
    Cat 10-20 26pts

game 4:
    Wally 6-15 18pts
    Cat 9-15 20pts
    </font>

Mobley scored more each game and doubled his score twice, and shot better 3 of 4 times.

That is:

<font size=2 face=courier>
    Wally 15.25ppg at 45.6% below average
    Cat 22.8 ppg at <b>52.9%</b> </font>

Mobley crushed Finley as well, whom Wally points out. 24. 8ppg at 54%

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wally is a nice complimentary player.....not a Max player, you have to do more then just shoot to be a MAX player.

DD

8. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

wow I think I'm gonna go try to get myself 70 million dollars if a go whine to another nba team. Some of these players are starting to get ridiculous. I know I'll hurt some people's hearts when I say Rashard is the most ridiculous yet, but he is! A BUNCH OF WHINING BABIES. Half of these idiots don't even have a college edjumacation anymore?? VAUKING IDIOTS

9. foodworld

foodworld Member

...and Kevin Garnett isn't worth half of what he is making.

Szczerbiak is a well-rounded offensive player who fits very well into Saunders' system. He doesn't demand the ball; he gets plenty of set shots with defenses collapsing on KG. His shot in traffic is also one of the best is the league.

However, he isn't superstar talent. His shot selection is good, but he drives the lane when Garnett is an option at the top of the key. He is slow, and he can't dribble - the two reasons he turns the ball over so much.

In short, he's worth less than half of what his agent is seeking, is no where near as good as Mobley or Finley (whom he replaced) and he annoys his teammates (bonus points), so Minnesota fans have every right to hate him.