1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waller County: 'Illegal' Lane Change leads to Death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How many times to they interview the family and friends of someone who was either accused of killing other people or that killed themselves and they say "They wouldn't do that"?

I mean, family and friends COULD be right, but so often they aren't. Emotions often blind people to reality.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You guys aren't even reading the story. The allegation is that she suffers serious head trauma from having her head slammed on the concrete. As she is taken to jail she is recorded telling police she can't hear out of an ear anymore and that she can't feel her arms. She was given no medical care despite these statements. Many of friends and family believe she died from a brain injury that possibly caused her to asphyxiate in perhaps a seizure.

Also, if the statement is true that she was pulled through her open car window for refusing to put out a cigarette, then that is pretty freaking egregious. I know people who know her and they are convinced there is no way she would have killed herself

3. Apps

Apps Member

The Texas county where Sandra Bland died: there's 'racism from cradle to grave'

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nd-alleged-suicide-waller-county-texas-racism

I mean, something does smell fishy about it. Let us presume that she did make a fuss that led to her jailing... what exactly happens between then and her alleged suicide that causes her to commit suicide? There are veritable facts which lead a reader to believe that she might have had reasons to live--she had just gotten a job, she was active in racial justice (therefore may have seen this as an injustice worth fighting against), she was arguing with the police, she was complaining to her family over the phone about her maltreatment (as if she wanted something done about it)... and then she just up and commits suicide? Please. Given the county's apparent history, there's a clear reason why this is being investigated.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know. It really doesn't matter. Each case is on its own merit. Don't think it's appropriate to assume anything in an unbiase investigation. You use all info and family info got to be on top of the list.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Before all this happened didn't the girl post a video of herself saying that she suffers from depression and PTSD?

6. justtxyank

Also, the police intimidated the individual recording and ordered him to stop which is in direct violation of the Supreme Court ruling on the matter.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps he violated procedure by telling the guy recording it to go away.

9. justtxyank

Like 6 months earlier. Also I'm not taking a side because I don't know.

I think the boss admitted the cop was overzelous in his arrest and was rough

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This may sound a little cold, but suicides tend to explain themselves in that one is evidently bereft of coping or communication tactics for issues that most everyone else handles fairly functionally through responsive plans of action or tenacity and patience forged through previous adversity. She certainly made her choices but the chain of events also highlight the risks of poorly handled protocol.

11. Nook

Nook Member

There are way too many questions to reach any conclusions. People are abused by officers AND people that are arrested do not always act logical.

Let's see what the investigation uncovers.

On a side note, while it is smart to act respectful and do as an officer tells you... Simply being an ass or defiant doesn't give an officer the right to use excessive force. I don't know exactly what happened in this case, but I mean in general terms.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Those details haven't been reported in a lot of the articles I've read. I'm not sure how plausible her dying from asphyxiation secondary to a seizure is. That doesn't explain how she was found hanging with a plastic bag around her neck when video evidence shows nobody entering the cell.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Pulling over someone for a lane change without signaling is pretty suspicious to me. Cops have way too much power.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. How dare they pull someone over to give them a ticket for a traffic violation. It's egregious.

15. justtxyank

The statement by the guy who found her was that there was a bag somewhere he thinks I mean definitely and that he saw marks on her neck.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Someone that hung themselves had marks on their neck? How could that have happened?

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Learning that the Waller County jail has a &quot;suicide&quot; problem and that as many as 4 deaths there have been ruled as such.

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SandraBland?src=hash">#SandraBland</a></p>&mdash; Shaun King (@ShaunKing) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/621739725829894144">July 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wow. Just learned that the last man to &quot;hang himself&quot; in the Waller County jail was also arrested for &quot;assaulting an officer&quot;

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SandraBland?src=hash">#SandraBland</a></p>&mdash; Shaun King (@ShaunKing) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/621758591800901632">July 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apparently the arresting office (Smith) had been fired for race issues from another job as well.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The arresting officer was Brian Encinia, 30 years old. Strangely, he has no online presence after Waller County gave him several days to delete everything. Sandra Bland also refused medical treatment at the scene of the arrest, allegedly.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, this is peaking my interest. Too many weird things going on. Glad there is an investigation.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's one of those, everyone does it and no cop care about it. If you get a ticket for such, you are very unlucky or maybe was being targeted.