1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walk or Stand Still on Escalators?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Jul 6, 2015.

?

What do you do?

1. Walk Up/Down

64 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Stand Still

43 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I prefer to stand for most of the way, with a quick fearful and respectful entry, and a couple of steps forward before the exit. I do move over for those who seem to be in a hurry.

When I see people that must walk or jog the whole way, I assume they are one traffic jam away from doing themselves in... but I do understand that occasionally one must actually be in a hurry for a reason.

2. Buck Turgidson

lol at mallpeople

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I walk up and down. I don't run up but I usually take two steps at a time so it is faster. It can make a difference in my commute - especially going from underground to a train where missing one can delay you 15 minutes or so.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I normally sit down and ride up/down backwards.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I normally run up the down escalator.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do you guys have an issue with saying 'Excuse me'?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I do both. Depends on if I'm trying to get somewhere fast or not.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Off topic: Anybody ever tense up as the escalator rounds the very top? I dunno if it's my fear of heights or what, but every single time on every single elevator I've been on, I tense up as soon as I reach the top.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I usually stand but occasionally will climb if it strikes my fancy. It's never occurred to me to stand to one side to allow others to pass. I don't ever attempt to pass people on escalators. Like Juan Valdez said, if I decide to walk it, I will stop when I get to someone in front of me. I suppose I'll pay more attention now if someone comes up behind me.

I laughed at the guy who said he walks up and down the escalator at Rockets games. You're not walking down that escalator unless you leave the game early because it's like sardines packed in once the final buzzer sounds.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Whoever taught you guys escalator etiquette failed. If you wanted to walk, take the stairs. Escalators are for the lazy.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

In that sense - so are automobiles but you don't need to drive 30 mph in the fast lane.

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Ppl take the Stairs. Escalators are quite confounding. Don't know why someone would pay 100k plus just to help ppl avoid 20 secs of light exercise.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Some interesting responses. I guess it's a Texas thing to stand your ground.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I honestly never knew so many people had a pressing desire to walk up the escalator at the mall or Rockets games.

When you are at the airport I can understand it, but otherwise I've never felt the need to ascend quickly. Nor have I gotten the sense others wanted to either.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It totally is. Another message board I frequent has only two Texans who actively post. The rest are spread out across the country. Coincidentally, this exact topic came up this week and the responses there were nearly unanimous in that you walk, or at the very least, allow room for people to pass.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think many here have issues with any kind of social interactions.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If there are people behind you and a clear path, always walk or stand to the right. If there isn't anyone behind you, do whatever the hell you feel like doing.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

walk, because it's like time travel