1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Trade Deadline (Potential help to solve the triage problem?)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I don't understand the clamoring for Cutch at all. He's more name than production at this point in his career.

#181 Nippystix, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    kaleidosky and Marteen like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

These, I think, are some/all of the reasons (including as you mentioned, name recognition): 1) a general unease with trusting Kemp; 2) the Verlander deal, and how that trade transformed the team; 3) the anxiety of the team's recent offensive slump and overall August performance; 4) the ol' change-for-the-sake-of-change; 5) let's face it: it's exciting; 6) a lot of armchair GMs.

#182 Hey Now!, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Marteen, Snake Diggit and Nippystix like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Tony Kemp BA .289 OBP .376 OPS .808

Andrew McCutchen BA .255 OBP .353 OPS .765

Kemp is fighting off all suitors. He already beat back Marisnick, Fisher, and Tucker.

No Worries and mikol13 like this.
  4. Hey Now!

But.... butbutbut..... do you trust Tony Kemp to do it in the playoffs? That's the primary driver behind this, I'd wager.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

You know if I had a one-year contract for every time I've heard that
    [​IMG]

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt Cutch is viewed as a significant upgrade (if one at all). That said, he still hits LHPs. If Astros are looking for RHB in the OF as a platoon bat or a pinch hitter, he would not be a bad option.

Progs and Nook like this.
  7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I think that's an apples and oranges comparison. I think Beltran was brought in to be mainly a coaching figure, with us hoping he could still bring some offensive value. In fact, I bet both Altuve and Correa's desire to have Beltran around had a lot to do with it. I know his high salary last year (was it $14 or $16?) got a lot of criticism here, and while he was a subpar offensive player for us last year, his mere presence was worth every penny in my humble opinion.

Some of the posts here are hopeful that McCutchen will come here and help this huge offensive turnaround. And while prime McCutchen would've helped tremendously, I don't see this version of McCutchen helping much. Now if the front office gets a pulse of the clubhouse, and if Altuve, Bregman, Correa, and Springer feel strongly that his presence would help, then I am all for it.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I trust Kemp can have some success in the playoffs. I’d say he will be challenged more due to pitchers not wanting to be as aggressive with the Astros “proven” guys.

Kemp just has that vibe about him this year. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but it’s just a feeling I have. I do have some concern with Kemp’s defense, but it doesn’t scare me all that much.

9. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

The Playoffs isn't some magical mystical land. If we trust him to perform now why would that change in October?

10. MrBear1

Have you not read Astroball yet?

11. Nook

Nook Member

If the cost isn't prohibitive, I will take him.

He has a 355 OB%, can play all three outfield spots and is still fairly quick.

He would be very handy if there is another injury to the outfield or someone has a bad slump.

Springer
    McCutchen
    Altuve
    Correa
    Bregman
    White
    Gurriel
    Reddick
    Maldonado

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

My response was solely based on your comment "He's more name than production at this point in his career." Not necessarily an argument for or against signing McCutchen.

Nippystix likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Got it. With that being said, I agree with you. Sheesh, you could've said me some time there, hahaha!

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not a big Cutch fan. I don't think Astros should get him to replace Kemp. That said, he would likely provide more value than Beltran and be cheaper. Astros have 25 roster spots for each postseason series. I don't think Astros have 13 better hitters, and I definitely prefer him pinch hitting against a lefty to Marisnick. If the cost is cheap, he would be fine for a backup/platoon player in my opinion.

Still too small to make any statistical conclusions, but Gurriel has not looked good when I've seen him lately. I could be seeing him on bad days.

kaleidosky likes this.
  15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's foolish to not add a bat before the deadline. Injuries aside, this team has struggled offensively during stretches this season. I'm not saying Cutch is the answer but I would love to have some insurance heading into the postseason especially if we end up not winning our division.

Health is going to be key for this team and it seems we are inching closer to having everyone back soon.

Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I just dont think we need an infielder.
    White has that all cleared up.

Its gotta be OF or Pitcher

17. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Cutch would be perfect.

18. Hey Now!

The pressure is amplified and the competition is significantly better.

19. Hey Now!

I'm warming more and more to the idea of acquiring Cutch and it's rooted entirely in my fear of George Springer being unexpectedly shut down. We know he's going to battle a sore thumb all year; now he has a quad and those things never really heal without rest...... If he goes down in a series, the Astros' chances take a hit.

#199 Hey Now!, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  20. MrBear1

Marisnick offers incredible defense and baserunning though, two things Cutch isn't very good at. For a bench guy in the AL I think I'd almost value Jake over Cutch.