1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Claims: who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I don't see any 9 figure contracts being given out by the Astros over the next decade

But if there is one, i'd sure rather go after a Price, Scherzer, Lester than pick up all that cash on Kemp

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

Wait...shouldn't you be a pretty big fan of the Feldman contract?

3. Buck Turgidson

No dude, I have not seen your baseball.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Because calling names solves everything. I'm sorry I have an opinion that doesn't align with yours. Congratulations on using slurs to make a point online. I'm sure calling people disabled has increased the value of your life in a way that I will never truly experience.

No, spending $10 million on a subpar player doesn't make Crane any less cheap. He has to spend something or they might make the Astros play in the American League without the DH.

5. Buck Turgidson

See, now that was a much more intelligible post than the last one, which was frankly ridiculous. I'm all for differing opinions, I just like good opinions.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The "racist" line is a bunch of BS. The lawsuit was frivolous. Is he racist? Could be, but no real proof of it.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

At this point it no longer has anything to do with prudent management.

Jim Crane has lost most of us. You all who still defend him are part of the delusional minority, the Charlie Brown's who keep getting the football swiped away.

Jim Crane needs to spend money as a show of faith. And don't give me percentages or increases from last year. That's a joke. He needs to not field the cheapest payroll in the league. The product on the field has been unwatchable since he's started. It's time to pay players, even if it's for the shortterm, just to give us the opportunity to be competitive.

Until then, most fans like myself will continue walking away, manifested in the multiple 0.0 ratings the Astros have garnered the past couple years. We're not gonna be made into Charlie Browns. You guys are the last remnant. If this keeps up, your children will be the ones to put the final stake on baseball in this city. It's not like Major League Baseball is on the way up with America's youth.

1 person likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dude us "Charlie Browns" are big picture people, we haven't had the football swiped once. It was always a 5 year plan when Luhnow took over.

2012 terrible
    2013 terrible
    2014 better, but still bad
    2015 competitive
    2016 playoffs, or at least threaten and be a perennial contender moving forward

This was always the plan, nothing they have done has changed this goal. Just because some people are getting impatient it doesn't mean you should do stupid things to appease them, like picking up Kemp's monster deal. If you're gonna spend that kind of money get it right.

Winning and getting on TV are the only things that matter. Fans can b***h and moan all they want right now. If the Astros are in a pennant chase in 2016 MMP will be full. If we still suck everybody, even us "charlies browns" will be mad and uninterested.

9. Major

Major Member

So you want the Astros to make dumb decisions just to make you feel better? That's absurd.

1 person likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They bid 9 figures on Tanaka. I fully expect them to spend on a big FA at some point.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's pretty simple: if they aren't able to turn lots of players from within the farm system into major contributors, they are never going to be good. That's just the way things work.

Wasting $100 million on one Matt Kemp would do nothing for us, and they are never going to pay $100 million to 5+ Matt Kemp-caliber FA's. If we had landed Choo, or Tanaka, or Abreu, people would be just be complaining that they are good, but a waste of money because they have nothing around them.

A core of cheap, hugely productive players produced from the farm is the only way to get the ball rolling, as it should be. Cross your fingers and pray that Luhnow and co. are hitting the nail on the head enough times with the draftees and trade-ees that are being filed through our system.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think they felt pretty safe he wasn't taking their offer

None of us actually know how that went down though, so no need to argue over it

There is obviously a lot of talent in the system right now

We can all argue when the time will be right to spend big

But none of us know if Jim Crane will be willing to spend, we all certainly hope he will though

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So he needs to not field the lowest payroll in baseball. Ok. Add $3 million to the payroll and mission accomplished.

Sealclubber hit the nail on the head. The idea is to build to obtain sustained competitiveness. The idea is not to overspend on a FA or two that won't help the club in the long run just to say we did it.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

really dont think anyone would be complaining about tanaka or abreu. we really should have signed abreu given the gaping hole at 1B/DH. but, yes, we did dodge a bullet with choo.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I never realized 'dude' was a slur. Poor Jeff Bridges.

1 person likes this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

maybe not this year. But next year, they'd be complaining that we signed Tanaka before being ready to compete and made our draft pick worse without reason (i.e. "middle of the road" instead of tanking). So we should have waited a year or 2 to spend that money instead of spending early before the prospects were ready. Or something like that...grass always seems to be greener. Hence, I appreciate someone sticking to a plan

17. Granville

Granville Member

Gonna go out on an extremely sturdy limb and say that most fans are tired of the tanking. You can build the farm without being the worst team every year.

18. Refman

At this moment, the Astros aren't the worst team in their division, let alone all of MLB. It is entirely possible that 15 to 20 percent of teams end with a worse record.

19. Granville

Granville Member

Read the bolded part I was responding to and cut the knee jerk responses out. The rabbit holes you will crawl down to defend Crane's tenure is amazing. The team has been a joke on and off the field the entire time he has owned it.

I didn't say we were the worst this year just that if (as the poster suggested )there are some calling for tanking that the majority of fans are tired of it.

20. Refman

Crane's tenure has lasted all of a season and a half. This team was bad long before that. If the team is still bad in 3 or 4 years, then we have something to talk about. Any indictment of the owner this early into what reasonable people knew was going to be a complete rebuild is silly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.