1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiting for Don Nelson??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Jun 2, 2003.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Yes, new offense PLEASE!!! The Rockets have a pretty good defense in in the front court. It's the backcourt that needs upgrading. But the offense was atrocious all around. They were among the bottom half in offensive statistics last season.

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If there is a chance at Nelson, Rox got to make an offer asap. Just make a good offer and stop wasting time. Haven't we learned a lesson from Larry Brown's case?
    Cuban may let Nelson go after the loss to Spurs. If you let him think more, he will be more logical and try to keep Nelson.
    Some people may think Rox can take its time now since some uncertainty is gone and every coach available is waiting for Rox to pick first. With coaching vacancies filled up gradually, everyone with a job will start thinking "I better grab a seat now before all are taken."
    I would talk seriously to Nelson, get him signed or let him say "i want to stay in Dallas". In latter case, make up my mind, and get either JVG or Dunlevvy. Both are good. I don't think thinking any more will help make a better decision. Final words, don't be cheap. You don't see them so stingy on signning players, why on coachs?

3. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Well apparently, it was reported that Cuban wanted to discuss DN's situation and tried to set a meeting time. However, DN said he was burned out physically and mentally and requested to take two weeks vacation first in Maui. Maybe this is a ploy so that Les, CD, and Don can talk secretively without Cuban interference. Or maybe I'm just ranting. :D

4. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/basketball/mavs/stories/053103dnsponelson.6d0e2037.html

"I'm 63, and I don't want to move around if I don't have to, starting all over and all those kinds of things," Nelson said. "We love the Dallas area. My wife is comfortable. It's a comfort zone that is important to us. I'd rather not move around again. I don't think I would do that. I think the decision has to be made about me here."

So with that, any mention of Houston or anywhere else as a potential destination for Nelson was rendered moot. Instead, he will head to Maui on Saturday for two weeks of rest and relaxation, which he has earned, Cuban said.

Sounds like he's not looking to coach anywhere else...

5. FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon Member

Why Don Nelson won't fit with the Rockets:
    1. Nelson don't know how to utilized big man, if he gets the job, he will turn Yao into another Wang ZhiZhi.
    2. Nelson's deffense is horrible
    3. Nelson is consider kind of old
    4. I said so

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Don Nelson will turn Yao Ming into Raef Laphrenz. Raef actually had some inside skills before he went to Dallas, but now he's a 3pt shooter and nothing else.