1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wages of Wins projects ~64 wins next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by just a word, Jul 9, 2013.

1. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

56 wins.

Even though we won 45 games last year, our Pythagorean Win Expectation was 50, and we did lose a couple of heart-breakers that I think Dwight might have been the difference in had we had him at the time. Specifically the two OT losses to Portland and the OT loss to the Spurs.

2. rinklob

rinklob Member

Wages of Wins' consistent blind faith in their completely arbitrary formulas despite being proven wrong time after time has made them one of the jokes not just of the sports world, but even of the advanced stats world. What they say has essentially zero correlation to reality.

That I said, I do believe the Rockets will be very good in the RS.

3. deshen

deshen Member

64, really? this guy is out of his mind.

4. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Without Dwight, I was going to say 50 was a good goal but I will bump it up to ~55

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

50+ wins. High 50s depending on how fast Morey is able to get us a starting quality PF. I don't trust any of our bigs to handle that position and I suspect McHale feels the same which means we might see a lot of small ball with 4 shooters and D12 (and Asik).

6. liljojo

liljojo Member

That's REALLY high... I'm thinking more like 54-56 range.

7. basketballholic

The biggest 2 factors in win total next season:

1. Health

2. The number of teams intent on going to the lottery.

I suspect there may be more than 2 teams with 60 wins next season simply because of the number of teams intentionally losing games.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I like these predictions. Mid 50s if we have relatively good health. If we make a positive win now trade I could see us pushing 60 and if we get unlucky with health we could drop into the mid to high 40s.

9. Vega_281

Vega_281 Member

Thats being a bit overly optimistic, i predict 50-55 wins this upcoming season.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Truth! There will be a big imbalance this year. There are a number of good teams and a lot of tankin for wiggins teams. Haves and have-nots.

We'll see what else the Rockets do roster-wise but right now I am thinking 55 wins, 4th seed/home court in the playoffs and pushing deep into the 2nd round.

11. basketballholic

I'll be disappointed if Spurs, Thunder, and Clips all finish ahead of us.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Low 50's to be safe. There will be growing pains. We had a near overhaul last season.

Add in a game changing player to the roster and probably a big change of style on offense - we're going to look a little rough early on.

People hoping for Dwight's demise will say 'told you so' 5 games in but we'll be fine...and it will definitely be fun.

13. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

They have Philadelphia above 0 wins, the list is invalid.

Really though, I'm sure it looks really carefully calculated and all, but I question their formula. GSW out of the playoffs, below Dallas and LAL? Nets at 12? Everything else? Does anyone even see us at 64, really?

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I predict 57 wins

15. dischead

dischead Member

How many games will Howard cost us with missed free throws?

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

While I can see this hurting us in a couple games here and there at the same time you have to think, how many games will his defense and finishing prowess put games out of reach for other teams before it even gets to crunch time where teams would even think of employing a hack a dwight strategy? If I were a betting man I would think the good he brings will far outweigh the negative.

17. butterball

butterball Member

Low 50's like 53 maybe. I expect we might have a few injuries and we'll start out a bit shaky. Also, the West is stacked. Top 4 teams are a free-for-all.

18. dc1985

dc1985 Member

64 is to high. I say 52-56 is more reasonable because will experience so growing pains the first month of the season but will then start clicking

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Yeah that won't happen. I want Asik angry and too demolish everyone on the floor and and too push his value so high, Morey couldn't refuse a return offer.

20. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Wow. That's a bit high. I'd hate to have a good season but fall short of these expectations, thereby opening the floodgates of criticism. Even when we surpass expectations, this forum has hate talk everywhere.