1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wade Phillips offended by Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 7, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Anyone besides me bothered by some of Rockets actions during Star Spangled Banner at last nights game?</p>&mdash; Wade Phillips (@sonofbum) <a href="https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/530794203538661377">November 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fans are assuming he's referring to the cheering during the "rocket's red glare" part of the anthem. Anyone know of anything else?

#1 RV6, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know, but people shouldn't be using parts of the anthem as a mini-pep rally for their team.

It's just bad taste.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's the only thing and it's our thing.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would cheering parts of the national anthem be a big deal?

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think playing the national anthem before every piss ant sporting event in the country cheapens the national anthem.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As if singing it before every event from minor league hockey to second-division soccer to college volleyball hasn't already diluted it enough.

7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Maybe he's upset the Rockets recently stopped having Pillsbury be the official baked goods brand of the Houston Rockets.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Agreed. If we are doing it before sporting events, might as well do it before movies and plays as well. It's too much and i wish they wouldn't.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is playing the national anthem before games league mandated, or its just an optional thing all teams do?

My own view is that sporting events should be about entertainment, not a venue for nationalistic displays.

10. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Who's Wade Phillips (rhetorical) and why should anyone give a damn what he thinks.....

11. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has ALWAYS happened at Rockets games. The fans always cheer when it gets to "the Rockets red glare". It's not new at all.

1 person likes this.
  12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Well, he spent the previous two years offending me as the Texans' defensive coordinator. So if we're going to be pointing fingers...

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Who the **** is Wade Phillips? Never heard of him before.

Please take to the approriate forum.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

66k followers on Twitter and I'm sure many are media. I can already imagine the headlines...

15. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

The cheering during the "rocket's red glare" has been going on for years. So unless he hasn't been at Rockets games then it's old news

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Orioles yell O during the star spangled banner and it was written in Baltimore. So if the natives do it who care who else does it. This writer does not deserve any attention.

17. Beavis Stiffler

The Chicago Blackhawks fans are always cheering loudly during their national anthems. It doesn't affect them negatively and most people don't have a problem with it.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wait . .. is this his first Rockets game?

Rocket River

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Should em' to death! Let freedom be minimized for personal tastes! Go modern America!

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it goes back to the championship years, at least, so I was surprised to know he didn't know or no one made him aware of it (Im assuming he would have discussed it at the game).

That's why I was wondering if he was referring to something else.