1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VSpan's salary still counts in the Rox payroll???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roxfan123, Jul 29, 2007.

1. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

According to an article in sohu. Said Spurs has reached agreement with Vspan, but since Vspan didn't come up and ask to be cut, his salary will be paid by Houston and counts in the payroll. If that is true, I lost all respect for this guy. How can you lay back, do nothing and still claim a paycheck, after all it was him who want to be out right? :mad: :mad:
    http://sports.sohu.com/20070729/n251298084.shtml

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I don't know if he actually said he wanted to be cut, but he did whine to the media that he didn't want to play in the NBA anymore because it was too tough for him, and we traded him away anyway, so he's not our trash anymore.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It can't count toward our salary cap or lux tax, since we traded him.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe he is sticking it to us for not releasing him to Greece? Maybe the Spurs are sticking it to us. If the tables were turned I would like it. Kind of humorous. Like a prank.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Do you always believe everything you read from china? Houston isn't paying anything and even if they were obligated to they traded him and that would now be SA's deal. Think about it we traded him salary for salary. So How can we be liable. Also the whole point of the Spurs agreeing to the deal was the ability to get out from his contract thus avoiding the luxury tax. And on this board more than once it was reported Vspan was even willing to pay back last years bonus to get out of Houston. You are regurgitating bad information... Think before you post.

6. azntbooi

azntbooi Member

yeah. i agree, this is totally false. even if the spurs release him, they would still have to pay up. not houstons problem

7. ChalupaSupreme

I don't know where they came up with that.. If it's true then what's the whole point of the trade? Regardless.. I still dislike V-Gina.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Is this just talking about the cash consideration that the Rockets gave to the Spurs to buy him out?

9. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

yes we paid his salary if he stays with spurs...but if hes released the spurs will owe him nothing.

10. Navman

Navman Member

An unfortunate condition for the Scola trade is that we pay Span's salary/buyout if he chooses not to play with the Spurs. It was part of the unenviable "cash considerations" that we offered in order to get San Antonio relent and give up Scola.

In hindsight, it wasn't an awful trade for San Antonio. They keep their core that won the championship last year, and get to look like a kind organization for letting Scola get a chance to play - AND - they don't pay a cent for Spanoulis, thereby saving quite a bit of money to avoid LT and future contract endeavors.

Personally, I'm still happy the Rockets made this trade because a few bucks saved does not nearly amount to a seasoned talent that can contribute right away in a position and style that our team needs to succeed.

11. Rockets420

Rockets420 Contributing Member

I think everyone is forgetting about Jackie Butler. San Antonio unloaded his $2-$3 mill salary on us. thus putting them under the luxury tax. Scola was bonus for us and necessary in order for the Rockets to accept the deal.

12. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Did we TRADE him for Scola & Butler? His contract will be in Spur's account.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

These are the thread that make me wish we could give a zero rating.

14. holysilence

holysilence Member

Even we Chinese fans don't believe sina/sohu/tom, how can you......?