1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vspan Update from Panathinaikos Paper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket G, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

So I'm in Greece and picked up the Panathinaikos-oriented sports paper "Derby" yesterday.

The basketball section features a big pic of Vspan but only has one small paragraph about him, in a larger article about Pana's team signings, hopes, etc.

The Vspan para essentially says that while it looked like he would return to the Rockets earlier -after the coaching change - for the first time it is now less likely that he will return to Houston - and more likely that Pana will sign him - due to (roughly translated & paraphrased) "the Rockets' personnel moves."

I took it to mean the Mike James trade, as I believe that unless Rafer is traded now, our other backup guards will not get much playing time.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth - no word from Vspan himself, and this is a Panathinaikos fan paper apparently - they would like nothing more than for him to leave the Rockets.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

boy am I up early..

I hope this is just some empty news to fill in some space to sell papers. Although I think it's true that VSpan won't get that much playing time if Rafer is still here, I sure hope he can come back and showcase his real skills.

If Rafer and Head is still here, I see Vspan sitting behind Rafer, James, Head for playing time. Sometimes even behind JL3, which I find to be ridiculous.

I hope Vspan is given another chance.. and if things don't pan out, we don't have to renew his contract next year.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

how does Panathinaikos sign him if he's already under contract?

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly we can sue V-Span for breach of contract. I hope we trade his ass cause we don't need him to be distraction.

5. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I say we take him to Judge Judy.

6. therox3

therox3 Member

I say judge mathis.

7. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

By the way, it's hotter than balls here now - 43 degrees Celsius - and since I don't leave for the islands until tomorrow, it's especially brutal. Thus I get to sit around, sweat, read Greek papers, drink coffee, and watch American movies in poorly dubbed Greek. Today's paper had nothing new. Won't be updating once I leave Athens either - plan on laying on a beach and drinking for a couple of weeks.

To clarify, I just re-read the article, the word it uses can be translated as an amalgam of situation/position/fortune. It's the kind of word used in will/inheritance situations for what you are bestowed or left with.

Again, I'm taking it to mean the situation that exists because of the personnel moves. It could just as easily mean that the Rockets have actually changed their mind as to Vspan because of their new position as to personnel (again, post-James trade).

It definitely makes it sound like it's up to the Rockets whether to keep him or release him, not that Vspan is looking to leave, which sounds bizarre to me given what we've heard before. Again, this is a sports-tabloid rag so...

As for Panathinaikos signing him, I don't think they could/would unless we did release him. IIRC, he could still play for the national team, even though FIBA might prevent him from playing for another team. I could see Vspan sitting a year out even if we didn't release him. Life is not too bad here...

By the way, whenever I've worn a Rockets hat here, I've been asked about him and told that the Rockets are idiots for not playing him more.
    Given the fact that I generally don't see an issue with how JVG handled him, this could lead to many an argument - so I just kind of politely nod my head in agreement...

He's pretty damn popular here, especially with the women. I'm thinking I shouldn't shave for a few days to see if I can recreate the "Vspan effect."

Anyway, I do hope he comes back and busts his ass to prove himself. This whole situation is just bizarre though.

8. blender

blender Member

Makes sense I guess. Unless Rafer gets traded, which I highly doubt, there's almost no playing time for him with the Rockets. Why rot on the bench for another year when he can be playing hero back home?

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is that all it would take for me, too? A few unshaved days, and Voila! (or the Greek alternative) I'm a sexy Greek sports god?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There's always the option of just out-performing Rafer in camp, preseason, whatever... and earn some PT. Rafer can be traded if the rest of the PGs inspire confidence.

Or there's the option of Spanoulis getting traded to a team that has more of a hole at the PG spot.

11. qrui

qrui Member

i really hope vspan is allowed to play, and prove himself. and i believe he can if given chance.

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

109!

We have been unseasonably cool in Texas lately... highs in the mid-80's. :)

Thanks for the info on VSpan

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Judge Reinhold.

14. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

tomorrow is supposed to be 5 degrees higher tomorrow in Athens..

A beautiful 118-120 F....My house was at 115 yesterday :S

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets hold all the cards, he is under contract for this year, and they have a team option for next year, thus the Rockets control him for the next 2 years.

I think Morey is taking his time, but if V-Span continues to waver, I believe Morey will force the issue.

He signed the contract, he has to man up and honor it.

DD

16. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

I'm sure we will know by tonight....

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What makes you say that Alex?

18. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

erm..I mean thursday night...got the draft date wrong :p

19. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

There's more to life than playing basketball for a single fan called DD. :eek:

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Well, if the translation is someone's opinion, that its up to the Rockets, they've already stated publicly that they aren't releasing him from his contract. I can't see any reason that they would, since they would trade him first, rather than release him.

VSpan will have every opportunity here to play himself into the rotation with a new coach who is offense minded. He just has to play well with his existing game, hit his shots, quit turning over the ball, and have a team first, rather than me first attitude. If he's better than Mike James, he'll play in front of Mike James. The problem is not opportunity, but his attitude, and whoever his agent or publicist is constantly hurts him with these type of articles, making him look worse and worse. They undermine his success, not promote it.

If he leaves, he'll forever be known in the NBA as a spoiled, selfish quitter, who didn't have what it took to make it in the best basketball league in the world. If that's not who he is, then he should step up here and honor his contract like a man, showing dignity and character, by working on excellence, not excuses.

It's my hope that he has the humility to work on his game and play team first, like the other two superstars on our team, or else he'll never fit.

excellence ... not excuses