1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

vonte leach?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jev5555, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah it has been a long time with Football or Basketball that we really were in the running for anything and part of the hype. It's a good feeling to have people out here in Cali talk about the Rockets and Texans and how they are teams to watch.

It's a good feeling, how long it lasts is another story.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Agent Ralph Vitolo: Texans express interest in free agent fullback Vonta Leach. <a href="http://t.co/CextuX1gvQ" title="http://tinyurl.com/kry24ll">tinyurl.com/kry24ll</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/344910452507148288">June 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>FB Vonta Leach's agent, Ralph Vitolo, said 7 teams have expressed interest in Leach including the Texans, Dolphins, Chiefs, Giants &amp; Browns.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/344910799778754560">June 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

While free agent fullback Vonta Leach meets with the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday, his agent said Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith told him the Texans do have interest in his client, but they have to find a way to maneuver under the salary cap to make it happen.

Leach was released on Monday by the Baltimore Ravens in a salary-cap move and his agent, Ralph Vitolo, reached out to the Texans to gauge their interest about the three-time All-Pro fullback returning to Houston.

Leach, who told FOX 26 Sports returning to the Texans is his first choice, played with Houston from 2006-2010.

"We just talked and (Rick Smith) mentioned that he definitely had an interest in Vonta," Vitolo said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"He said that it would be beneficial for all of us if we could get him back down there. It's just a matter of 'how we can do it money-wise and when can we do it and if we can do it.'

"We all agree that we want him back there, but how do we do it?"

Vitolo said Smith responded on Wednesday to Vitolo's request to talk about Leach.

"It's a mutual interest," Vitolo said. "He felt the whole organization would benefit from getting Vonta back there.

"He thinks it's a win-win. He's a difference-maker. He said 'it's not just me, it's the entire organization.' "

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Haha! Just giving you a hard time, man. :grin:

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

So, has he signed anywhere?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thanks, it would be so great if the Texans can make room for him somehow. He would likely have to take a big pay cut, but he might do it. I was "sick" when he left, bet Foster was too.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He says he has three years left. I can't see him taking what the Texans have in mind.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Foster also addressed using a hyperbaric chamber for recovery, adding chicken and fish to his diet and the speculation surrounding fullback Vonta Leach’s possible return to the Texans.

“I’m a good friend of Vonta’s, but at the end of the day we’re just trying to get wins, so whatever is best for the team, I am for,” Foster said in the interview.

This is from the chron., it seems Foster isn't that excited about being paired with Leach again...

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I would love to have The Leachness Monster back. I really hope the Texans can find a way to maneuver some ends, and get Vonta back here.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess I'm just not as excited about Leach possibly coming back as everyone else. We have Greg Jones who is a MAJOR upgrade from last year. Go ask MJD what he thinks about Jones.

I just don't see the need to having 2 starting-caliber FBs on this roster when what little $$ we have available would be better spent on a position that's more of a need (RT, MLB, NT).

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yup. Pointless. Helps special teams, that's about it.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If we signed Leach, we'd cut Jones. And Leach is better, so it wouldn't be pointless. The thing is that Leach would probably get paid more than Jones is, so Jones might be a better deal money wise. And while we wouldn't have to pay Jones' full salary if we cut him, he's still guaranteed $240K out of his $1M contract, so it wouldn't be entirely painless. But Vonta is the better player and gives us a better chance at winning.

The real question is if it is worth the extra + lost money?

IMO, it comes down to what we eventually do with the money we have left. If we use it to shore up areas of concern, then great. Even though Vonta is better, it's not like Jones is bad. It's not like he'd solidify a weak position. But if we don't really use that money for anything, I'd rather have Vonta than Jones.

I expect the Texans to stick with Jones unless Vonta gives us a big discount.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Two teams other than the Texans and Dolphins are talking to Vonta Leach. He'll pick a team early next week.</p>&mdash; John Clayton (@ClaytonESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/348169965586751488">June 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>It's interesting that former Ravens FB Vonta Leach is talking with his old team, the Texans. He might go to Miami, but Texans are interested</p>&mdash; John Clayton (@ClaytonESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/348169845872922624">June 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So Leach wil be taking his talents to Galveston Beach or South Beach...

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Well Vonta was basically cut in lieu of Jacoby Jones, and in hindsight that was probably a bad decision. But its become apparent how much of a dying breed by how little value GM's place on them.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

In other words, I've already won a title and will hold out for the most money.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

Agent Ralph Vitolo said the Dolphins remain the front-runner for Pro Bowl fullback Vonta Leach, but he might take one more visit elsewhere (perhaps the Giants). Asked if he believes Leach will sign with Miami, Vitolo said: “I think so. I hope so. It’s the right place to be. We’re trying to crunch the numbers.”

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh.

If we were still running James Casey out there at FB, I'd be more upset. But now that we have a prototypical FB in Greg Jones (who has made a living blocking for MJD), I'm not worried.

We'll be just fine at FB.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Agreed, I never had my hopes up for him..