1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VoIP question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Relativist, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Okay, I have an odd hypothetical question for the technically savvy here:

My family operates a small motel. All the rooms have phone jacks that are connected to a central Panasonic phone system (PBX). We also have a broadband internet connection through our cable provider. Recently, we activated an account with Vonage to replace Verizon as our long distance carrier. In other words, a call from a room goes through our phone system, then through a Vonage A/D converter, and then through our broadband connection.

Today we had a guest connect his laptop (with a traditional modem) to the phone jack in his room to try to access his dial-up account, but had trouble getting through (I wasn't there, so I don't know anything about his dial-up settings, etc.)

My question: If the dial-up settings were correct (i.e. - the modem knew to dial 9 to get an outside line before dialing the access number, etc.) could this person get dial-up internet through our phone system and VoIP account? Or are VoIP accounts fundamentally incompatible with dial-up modems?

I called Vonage up to ask this question, but I had a really tough time communicating with the customer service rep. I was doing a bad job explaining my question and I couldn't tell if he didn't understand what I was asking, or I just didn't understand his answer (probably both).

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Look here for ideas:
    Vonage VOIP Forum

Here are a few threads that sounds similar to your question:

Vonage & Dialup

Vonage & Modem Dialup

How many rooms are in the motel?

Is the Broadband connection available to the rooms (other than through a phone jack)?

Is the Broadband connection underutilized?

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I don't know about your specific situation, but we set up a Cisco VOIP system where I work about two years ago. One of the things that the Cisco guys told me is that modems tend to have a bit of trouble on VOIP systems -- it's kind of hit and miss.

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Hey guys,

I wasn't able to check up on this thread for awhile, but I wanted to thank you for your input. It's good to have some confirmation that modems don't work well with VoIP.