1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting Seattle, Wa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by franchise403, Jun 17, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I thought it was worth the wait. Pretty damn good sammiches.

2. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I shall visit said restaraunt and settle this matter. Living in/around Miami, this place has to be pretty solid for me to flinch!

3. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Lots of great suggestions in this thread. My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance on Madison and 6th and got around just fine on foot...we were close enough to walk downtown or up to Capital Hill. We ended up moving up here shortly after if that tells you anything about how awesome this city is.

I definitely second the Walrus and the Carpenter. Expect to wait an hour or so for a table. Fortunately, there are a couple of nice bars in the same building. Head over to the Pie Baron Market St afterwards for beer and some of the best pie in NW.

Wandering Goose is a great brunch spot in Capital Hill. Its close to Volunteer Park and Bruce Lee's grave if you're looking to get outdoors for the afternoon.

If you like sushi, head over to Maneki's in the International District.

Last, but most importantly, check out Ma'Ono in West Seattle. That is the best fried chicken. Period. You'll need to call in advance to reserve a spot.

Enjoy your trip. Should be pretty nice here in August.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Thanks to everybody for their contributions to this thread. Because of you guys I've made the decision not to visit Seattle. There just doesn't seem as if there's enough to do to justify a three or four day vacation there, thanks again.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm doing Seattle + Portland over 4 or 5 days I think, in a month or two. Might want to consider that? Or Seattle-Vancouver.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kwame

That's definitely a possibility, because I've heard lots of good things about Portland and Vancouver. I was also thinking about going once NFL season starts. The weather won't be as good I assume, but that way I could catch a Seahawks game. Let me know how it goes.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I feel like it's a must visit actually. Spend a couple of days in Seattle. Drive up to Vancouver. There are plenty of parks and outdoor attractions to see. Drive up to Whistler and spend a day there. The drive alone is worth it. The weather is perfect right now up there.

Oh, there are recreational shops in Washington if you're into that.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kwame

Alright, I will have to seriously reconsider then. I'd be flying into Bellingham since I'm going with somebody that works for an airline and that way we wouldn't have to pay for plane tickets and driving from there, which would work out since it's closer to Vancouver than Seattle. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I've done Seattle-Vancouver by car. Highly recommended.

Though, changing money can be a nuisance if you don't plan ahead

1 person likes this.
  10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Use your bank's ATM card and you should be fine.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Seattle vs. Portland area as a home base to explore the general regions around either city in October?

Go!

12. Kwame

I got tickets to the Women's World Cup Final on Sunday so it looks like I'm going to do what Ziggy and shastarocket suggested and take off tomorrow night for a couple of days in Seattle and then a couple of days in Vancouver by car.

Any suggestions on things to do, places to see, and places to eat in Vancouver?

13. s land balla

Vij's. It's worth the drive to Vancouver alone. They don't take reservations, so get there early to avoid the wait.

1 person likes this.
  14. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

How is the weather like in the winter in Seattle? I'm thinking of going Christmas time. Will it be too cold to walk around and doing outdoor things there?

15. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

We did Seattle and Vancouver last September and it was one of my favorite trips I've ever taken. We took the train to and from Vancouver to avoid traffic at the border. Really easy trip. Used public transportation in both cities.

Things to see/do in Seattle that haven't been mentioned:
    -Underground Tour - very cool
    -If you like craft beer go to Ballard...several craft breweries
    -You can also see the Ballard Locks which were pretty cool too
    -Freemont area is another cool area of Seattle-nice little walking tour
    -Take a ferry over to Bainbridge Island - great views of seattle and mt ranier from the water and eat at Harbor Public House...best clam chowder I have eaten
    -Visit pike place market and walk the waterfront

1 person likes this.
  16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Theres actually another border crossing that the locals use. Never crowded. But, we got searched and told to surrender our phones. Minor 20 minute delay. Border agents are some major a-holes though. Of course when they ask why are you coming to Canada...the proper response isn't cause I'm an American.

17. s land balla

Woah, this same exact thing happened to me when I was driving from Washington into BC. Just out of curiosity, what is your ethnicity?

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hispanic...also was in the car with 2 friends. Both black.

Though I've been told I could pass for Indian or Pakistani...so that probably didn't help.

#38 jev5555, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  19. s land balla

Interesting. Well I'm Pakistani and had to go through the same drill, cell phone and all. Probably didn't help that I share the same last name as an Indo-Canadian convicted drug lord.

20. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Amazingly enough, I'm going to be staying at the exact same hotel, facing the needle, for the 4th of July. Small world...