1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vincent Young] Official "I'm A Believer" Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Franchise3, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and sell so many jerseys all across the country.

2. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

You're right that Vince's stock is at an all time high right now and I personally think that he should come out. I disagree that it would be a major mistake for Vince to come out. If you were to ask Leinart now if he regretted staying for his senior year, I am sure that he has no regrets even if it cost him a few million. I think that one last year of college gives guys on top of the world one more year to enjoy it. For many, that year cannot be replaced by money. If VY moves on, he'll have a lot of money, but I'm sure that he would be in a miserable position and he knows it. His choice is to take the money and be in a bad environment, or live like a king for one more year and take the money next year.

I can honestly say that if I was Vince, based on all of the info that I have about his situation, I would probably come back. It's in my personality to enjoy life and enjoy the moment, while money is low on my list of priorities. Vince seems to be a lot like that.

If he's worried about money then, he should come out right now.

Does anyone know if it's in the rules for Vince to speak directly with the Texans to see if they will take him #1.

If they can communicate that they will take him #1, I think that is the only way that Vince will come out. If he has no guarantee to go to Houston, I think that he will stay at Texas one more year.

3. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

I don't think he's a surefire #2 this year. He's definitely top 3. I'm pretty positive Houston will take Bush and I think NO will look at Young very strongly over Leinart. In the end, the Brooks experience may sway them towards Leinart but it's certainly not a lock.

4. MadMax

they can't talk to him until he declares he's coming out.

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I posted this in another thread, but I have a feeling he stays. Mack has already said that Vince is coming back. Several teammates(Selvin Young, his roommate and best friend on the team) have said he is coming back. The city of Austin and the university has embraced him like they have noone else ever, probably(Way before the Rose Bowl, also). I don't think those close to him would say stuff like that if they didn't know something...they would just look foolish. I would love to see Vince on the Texans, but ummm...David Carr?

6. KAS13

Young has already enjoyed college and had probably the best year of his life. I don't think the college experience plays as much a factor with Young as it did with Leinart because Vince isn't in Hollywood sleeping with actresses, models and hanging at the Playboy mansion. I think you have to understand that he's worked his whole life to be in this position (and made it clear that he wants to take care of everyone who helped him make it) so I think money does play a major role. Let's be honest , Leinart came back to school because he wanted to party and was already a celebrity (I know he wanted to make hisotry to but i think the former was more of a factor).

Legally, no they can't communicate with him until he declares. I can pretty much promise though he'll get the info he wants from the texans (it's pretty easy to get around).

Either way, I think he's gone but I could see him saying he didn't want to play for the Saints

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Vince, stay or I'll break your neck."

8. KAS13

Same thing happened with Vick ( not the same accomplishment as Young but the same situation). He told everyone who would listen that he was returning . His coaches, friends, and family members all said the same thing and then he declared. Young has flip flopped a few times (which he's entitled to do) and to me sounds like a guy who's coming out.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I agree. I always had the feeling that VY was gonna come out if we won the NC. His stock can't get much higher than right now, but I think the main thing that's gonna affect his decision is what team picks him.

If the Texans make it known that they want him, he'll leave for sure. The Titans would be a very interesting team for VY, he'll get some great coaching under Chow and McNair, but would most likely have to sit at least a year.

10. KAS13

I felt the same way (as long as Young played a good game). After winning the NC he really has nothing left to prove. The Heisman upset him but I'm sure the Rose Bowl MVP trophy and National Championship more then make up for it. Ut is losing a lot of key guys next season. I know they have talent coming in but Vince will still play in the same offense and won't have a chance to advance much further at the college level then he already has. I brought up the team issue because both Tennessee and No need QB's. I think the Titans would sign McNair for a couple more years to contiue mentoring Vince and then let him play. I highly doubt Young wants to play in NO and I'm sure he'll make that known privately. It may not matter because NO may prefer Leinart anyways.

If the Texans assured him he'd be the #1 pick he'd be here in aheart beat but I just don't see it happening. When it's all said and done i think Reggie's a Texan and Vince it a Titan. They play in our division so fans can still see him play once a year in Houston. I bet Leinart doesn't want to go to No either.

11. MadMax

i'll say it again. if he's available, and they don't take him...i'll never forgive that organization.

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

What if Reggie turns into Barry Sanders.

And Vince turns into Andre Ware?

13. MadMax

what if? i don't know "what if." i'm sure it will alleviate those feelings, at least in some measure, because i have no problem admitting when i'm wrong. every pick is a gamble. there is no sure thing. but the upside of Young...the whole package of Young, on and off the field and what he might mean to this franchise...is worth far more to me than taking reggie bush.

but i don't believe vince is going to turn into andre ware.

barry sanders averaged over 20 carries/game for his career. i'm not real confident reggie will do that.

what if young performs at a high level fairly early in his career? and carr doesn't improve much. even if bush is performing well, i think most texans will feel like we missed out on a great opportunity.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hate to say it, but I've been making fun of you (well, not you specifically) for the past couple of days. :)

15. KAS13

Well, he's available if we are willing to take him at #1. He all but said that on Leno. I know you're a huge UT fan and therefore want one of you favorite players here but people just have to come to the reality that we are drafting Bush and sticking with Carr for now. It's no reason to abandon a franchise just because they didn't pick the guy you want.

Do you honestly believe Young is the best pick for the team? I'm a texans fan and while I would now pick Young over Leinart if I was drafting a QB I wouldn't pick either of them over Bush if I were the Texans. Bush will sell jerseys all over the place and he'll put just as many buts in the seats. Let's be realistic, if we draft Bush we will sellout every game next year the same as we would sellout with Young. If Bush is as good as he looks then they'll be just as many Bush jersey's as there would have been Young's. I'd trade Carr and pixks for Young in a hearbeat but that' not going to happen. Trust me, you'll be happy with the selection of Reggie. He's going to be a great player

16. MadMax

how so?

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I heard a guy say exactly that on the radio and thought it was ridiculous. I never thought you'd feel that way. ;)

18. MadMax

1. i'm not at that reality yet. i don't think it's a given. bob mcnair is a smart businessman. this is, ultimately, a business decision.

2. yes, i believe young is the best pick for this team. i think his talent is exceptional. i do not believe reggie bush is the next barry sanders. i do not believe our team is in such need of a dire upgrade at RB that we should pass up on the opportunity for something as special as what Vince COULD end up being...particularly for the Texans, above all.

19. KAS13

Vince plays nothing like Andre Ware. Reggie could turn oput like sanders. In all honestly, there is really nobody to compare young to that I can think of. The closet you come is Randall Cunningham but Randall had a stronger arm and they are still different players ( Vince has better pocket prescence and is a better big game player). If you're a gm you still have to take into account that he's yet to play in a pro style offense. Look at Vick right now, he still hasn't adjusted. Young and Vivk are two different players too but I still think Bush is more of a sure thing (and the Texans don't need to be gambling anymore).

I also wonder how many of you really want to give up on Carr now. We all like to talk trash about him, get pissed and say he sucks but I'd honestly like to see him next season with Bush, Johnson healthy, a good TE and a couple ol draft picks). We still can put him on the two year plan and if he doesn't work out get rid of him then. I have a feeling that Mathis will get us good field position consitantly, our defense will improve and our team may contend for the playoffs next season with Carr playing his best yet (if we do the above mentioned things).

20. MadMax

i never thought i would either. but i'm so serious. i realize that feeling may change after some time. but it's how i feel about it right now. i think they'd be making a huge mistake passing up on what he could end up bringing to this franchise.