1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vincent Young] Official "I'm A Believer" Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Franchise3, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

2. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

after looking at the prices...you could just buy a couple of SI's for the same price as the cover then go frame it yourself for about $15 total. :D

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It says Will Ferrell will be on tonight. :(

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

And Vince...just saw the advert here in Austin.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

They'll both be on the couches together talking about the game.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Was that a Rockets shirt Vince wore last night?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i didn't see it, but probably. he showed up at the Rose Bowl with a retro Astros hat on.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the shirt. You really can't see it here, but it looked like it said Rockets on Vince's left side pocket area, but I'm not sure. I've never seen a Rockets shirt like the one he is wearing.

#68 Faos, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  9. micah1j

micah1j Member

No way... As MadMax said the insurance is for an career ending injury so there would be no NFL contract to pay the premium. Although you can get insurance for just about anything I don't think anyone would insure a draft spot but maybe a round to be selected in.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

It was Rocawear

11. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

I will eat my crow. I didn't think UT had a shot a beating USC but Young played an unbelievable game. Definitely one of the best performances I've seen and UT and Young deserve the respect they are getting right now.

I think the people who are suggesting we draft Young and get rid of Carr are caught up too much in the excitement right now. I heard a great point made today involving Drew Brees. He was considered a bust and they brought in Rivers to take his spot. However, once he got a great TE (something we lack) and the best RB in football look at what he did. I'm not a big Carr guy right now but there's no question the talent is there. There just so happens to be a LT like talent in the draft this year and it also is one of the deepest TE drafts in recent memory. It's a good draft for lineman and linebackers as well and poor in most other areas. Andre Johnson is also a playmaker at WR.

Vince is still yet to play in a pro style offense. All the experts are preditciting it will take him 2-3 years to learn an offense. I know he's a hometown kid and there are a lot of UT fans but that's picking with your heart and not your head. Comparing him to Hakeem and what not is absolutely insane. I underestimated him and I'll admit that but so people are taking this way too far ( I say that to the same people who already think Bush is the third best running back in the league). In all honesty, there really isn't a good reason right now to justify taking VY over Bush (unless you don't think Bush is going to be an impact guy). Even the biggest VY supporters will realize that he's going to sit for 2-3 years before he can play (or he'll get killed which I'm sure nobody wants to happen).

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

KAS13,

Nice to see you finally see what we have seen all along.

Also implicit in your post is that you don't have a problem with VY being the #1 pick ahead of Bush or Lienart only that the Texans already have a QB so they don't have the need. You've come along way my friend. :D

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Thanks for the clarification. At least I got the first 3 letters right. :)

14. KAS13

I never disliked Young or Texas. I just misjudged Young (thinking he was overhyped). I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and Young showed that he was an amazing talent against USC. In my opinion he basically won the game by himself (along with some questionable decisions by Carrol).

I wouldn't have a problem with young being the #1 or even being our QB but like you said, we have that position covered. I still want to see what Carr does when we add a playmaker in the backfield and a good TE (along with a couple OL). Vince deserves all the attention he's getting and I'm happy for the guy.

15. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

REASONS WHY I WANT VINCE TO STAY...

To play with Texas on NCAA 2007. He's going to be incredible on that game.

Seriously, I'm a huge longhorn fan since '92 and this has been a very exciting time. It will make me sad if Vince moves on, but I think that it is time for him to. The only thing that can hold him back in my opinion is if he loves being the big man on campus and wants to stay for one more year to enjoy the college life. Some people think that sounds stupid when there are millions of dollars waiting, but I think that it shows a high level of maturity to realize that will probably regret later not enjoying their senior season.

I think that Vince loves Austin and the way that he is treated here. He seems to have an extraordinary relationship with Mack Brown, which will be a major factor in his decision. I don't know if Mack has stepped in and filled a void left by being raised by all women and became a bit of a father figure, but they seem to get along in a great way more than I have seen another player/coach relationship.

Another reason why I think that he will stay is because I don't think that he wants to go two or three years without playing, which would be a possibility depending on how the teams want to bring him along. He's too much of a competitor to be willing to sit out until he absolutely has too. If he stays in Austin, he's guaranteed to play next year. Going to the draft, he might play next year, or in three years.

If Vince does come out, I hope that it's to the Texans. That's an emotional decision on my part to want him to come back to Houston, but I don't think that it's so completely irrational that it would be looked back on as a huge mistake. Sometimes you have to take a chance and VY is one of those guys that could completely break the mold of any pro quarterback we've ever seen. He's broke the mold in college.

Either way, I hope that VY is somewhere in Texas next fall and not in New Orleans or Tennessee.

16. micah1j

micah1j Member

I want Vince in Austin next year or the Cowboys to move up and get him. If the Texans get him I would still be able to see all his games because they shove that crap down the local market every week.

17. KAS13

Young's gone guys. He'd be making a major mistake by returning for his senior year (it didn't help Leinart). Young's stock is as high right now as it's ever going to be (NO may pick him ahead of Leinart) but if not he goes to Tennessee where he's close with McNair. If he returns he risks injury, a down season (it would be almost impossible for him to live up to expectations) and having to compete against Brady Quinn and Omar Jacobs for top billing. Obviously right now Young is ahead of those guys but like we just saw in the Rose Bowl you never know. He went from returning to school to being talked about as the number 1 pick in the draft. Bottom line is that he stands nothing to gain from returning to shcool for his senior year. As a UT fan you should thank him for what he did and wish him the best. Asking him to return to school is not in his best interest.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

With regard to Leinart not coming out, people forget that he uexpectedly had surgery on his arm right around draft combine time, that played a huge factor in his not coming out, I believe.

I don't think he hurt his draft status at all. He was a surefire top 2 selection last year and is this year.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

another reason i want vince in steel blue next season. you'd instantly have the state's favorite football player. and the cowboys wouldn't. :)

20. underoverup

underoverup Member

Vince would put sooooo many fans in Reliant Stadium...