1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Nov 2, 2005.

1. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

bigtexxx must be an aggie.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Supposedly an Owl but there has got to be some aggie in there somewhere

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Whether I like or dislike UT, I strongly believe that Vince Young is not the greatest player of all time. I believe that is absurd, especially when the QB for the #1 ranked team in the country has ALREADY won 2 national championships and 1 heisman trophy. Vince cannot match that, and that is an objective fact.

You assumed that my position on UT had something to do with this opinion. That's where you are wrong. You took your logic another (faulty) step.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

EDIT: Of course, you're comparing them now...

He could match that, however.

#64 Rocketman95, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"There has been a Black Jesus spotting in Austin."

:D L o L :D

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, are you saying Jesus was a great Messiah, but you do not believe that He was the greatest Messiah of all-time?

:D

9. haven

haven Member

The frequency of your posts reflecting negative positions on Texas sports support a strong inference that you're not objective regarding Texas.

If you merely responded negatively towards pro-UT posts, then perhaps you would just be correcting overly optimistic ideas. But given your tendency to attack, regardless of the subject or assertion...betrays your anti-Texas status.

As to the original poster:

Vince Young is a great player. Best ever? He's got a lot to prove, first. If he wins the national title this year and next...he'd certainly be in the discussion.

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I'm gonna have to disagree here...It's way too early to call Vince the greatest college football player ever. At this point, he's not even the greatest Longhorn ever.

11. updawg

updawg Member

I agree, Very true

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You can't call anyone "The Best _________ of All Time" until you see their complete body of work. I, too, am a huge UT fan and a huge VY fan. It's silly to call him the best of all time before he's done anything. The Rose Bowl last year started what could get him into the conversation, but without a National Championship and/or at least a Heisman, it would be hard to include him in any conversation that has Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Hershel Walker, Archie Griffin, or Earl Campbell.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Just for kicks, who's ahead of him? Here's my list:

1. Earl Cambell- No reason needed.

2. Ricky Williams- Broke Dorsett's record, Heisman winner.

3. Vince Young- Unbelievable record as a starter, Rose Bowl MVP, also, closest we've been to a NC in a while.

4. Cedric Benson- 6th All-Time Rushing in NCAA history.

5. Roy Williams- Greatest receiver in UT history.

Still pretty young to remember the old days of UT so my list is with a lot of the new guys.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you want to argue who has accomplished more, of course others have. I don't think Leinart gets enough credit for what he has accomplished. I guess I should have been clearer, I'm just talking about physical dominance over all others on the field.

I can't believe I didn't mention Earl, but I never saw him play in college. But that's why I mentioned guys like Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker. Anyone remember how good those guys were on Bill Walsh's College Football on Sega Genesis?

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Guys that I think, at the moment, are ahead of VY:

Earl Campbell
    Ricky Williams

Guys that I never saw, but must be considered because of their accomplishments:

Tommy Nobis
    James Street

Same class:
    Derrick Johnson
    Roy Williams
    Cedric Benson

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Ricky Williams is very underrated - if possible for the 2nd leading rusher of all time.

He was an absolute hoss. Ive never seen anyone outrun DB's to the corner the way he did and turn up field.

Applewhite was a good QB but our WR's were very mediocre and our OL wasn't dominating. They had 8 men in the box to stop him and he still killed them with speed and power.

It's a shame he got drafted by Ditka and then made a battering ram by Dave Clueless Wannstandt.

Ricky and Bo Jackson would be my top 2 choices.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Am I delusional when I say that UT owns Rice in baseball?

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

not even close. i love roy and derrick but they are not on VY's level, even if VY stopped playing right now. his accomplishments, transformation of this team, and record far surpass anything that they did.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I put VY ahead of Benson, Roy, and Derrick as well, the things VY has done since he's been at UT has been unbelievable, and National Championship would really top things off. :)

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Coincidentally, if UT/Young wins the Rose Bowl on Jan 3rd, at the stroke of midnight, bigtexxx's F-150 turns back into a pumpkin. An orange pumpkin.