1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vin Baker Working to Become Manager of Starbucks Coffee Shop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by peleincubus, Jul 28, 2015.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Don't think he is asking for your sympathy.

2. KevinMchale

KevinMchale Member

I couldn't agree more.

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

I wasn't trying to give it to him?

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Losing 100 mil IS crazy. Granted, that may be his earnings before taxes. Factor in Uncle Sam, agents, and other expenses and maybe his take home pay was 50 mil. But I still don't know how you blow all that. This isn't Brewster's Millions. He should have something to show for it. Real estate, cars, jewelry. All those millions don't just vanish unless he spent all of it on bad business investments or gave it away to friends and family.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't think about trying to, because he'll refuse.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Maybe he'll trade me an Ice Coffee for it

7. Nook

Nook Member

Baker made at least $96,000,000 from playing basketball.

He had a nest egg in the amount of $86,000,000.

He claims that his financial adviser made a number of poor investments and he lost it all.

He also had admitted to losing money to gambling and alcohol.

He has lost his restaurant and also had his 10,000 SQ/FT home.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

what was he the best at and when?

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Your choice, but rich people are just people like us despite the unreasonable salaries.

We idolize them too much when they do well, and then despise them too much when they make mistakes. It's all irrational.

Props to Vin, it seems like he is genuinely trying to be a better person.

If anyone is interested in this topic and hasn't seen "Broke" by ESPN, check it out. I found it interesting.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeys...ks-at-the-many-ways-athletes-lose-their-money

#29 napalm06, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Did he ever finished his college and get his degree? I'm looking at his wiki page (slow day at work) and it looks like he spent at least 4 years there?

You'd think a person with a college degree could get something better than a barista job? *shrug*

11. Nook

Nook Member

I suspect his goal isn't to become wealthy. He should have a good pension from the NBA.

I think he is doing what he enjoys and acts as therapy. He also is minister now.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well he is trying to be a manager. Plus if his degree is in liberal arts then barista/waiter/women's shoe salesman sounds about right.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Here's a tip to NBA players: set up an IRA, of course; also put a portion of your paychecks into an outstanding dividend stock (eg, XOM) and set up automatic dividend reinvestment. Then never worry one day about what you'll live on after basketball.

The next collective bargaining agreement should require players and/or their agents and/or the league itself to do the above. All these stories of down-and-out, ex-NBAers are just too frequent and depressing.

14. steddinotayto

Well I get that he's not trying to be wealthy because he's working as a barista at a Starbucks. That is pretty evident. I'm just saying that if he finished with his college degree (even if it's in some BS major) Baker should be able to do better than being a barista at Starbucks.

If he's happy with it then more power to him but he mentioned having 4 kids which means he has mouths to feed.

Sad but true I guess.

15. steddinotayto

That's the problem though: on the surface all the NBAPA wants is immediate results/gratification, long term wealth be damned. They don't have real financial advisers (or most of them any way from what I've read) that manages their money to make sure they don't go broke by the time they're out of the league.

I think the players of this generation have gotten smarter because the previous generation (the Bakers, the Antoine Walkers, the Shawn Kemps, etc.) scared them straight and they're being a little bit more careful with their money/investments.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They have tons of muffins and crap there.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is being surrounded by 'money men' and 'friends'
    While people are quick to blame the Skript Klubs and **** like that
    It is really those folx around him telling how GREAT IT IS to invest in this dirt farm in Juno
    Look at their Accountants, Managers, Agents, etc IMO

Rocket River

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Former rocket

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Why don't these dudes put five mil in a restricted bank acct somewhere or setup a trust

Come on

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You think he turned his life around just to gain your (and other stranger's) sympathy?? Why can't people just be happy for others when they are doing good in their lives, and simply leave it at that?