1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

View from the Rocket vs. Grizzle Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Jul 11, 2002.

1. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Alright summer league time! It’s good for me since I live in LA and can get to see some of the rockets play, and not for a bad price of only $10 all day. Anyway to the game. It was an exciting game, really great one at the end. I got there just in time to see players come out and practice.

The warm-up started and the rocket players did lay-ups then 10ft shots and pull up shots. TRock Morris made every shot I saw him take, he looked really confident in his shot(doing all kinds of assortment of lay-ups, making the pull ups with ease). Everyone else was just making some, missing some. Eddie Griffin was really off at during the drills, missing everything but the lay-ups. Jason Collier looked healthy, happy and excited even dunked one on the lay-up drill. Then they stopped drills and started just shooting around. Collier started practicing post moves, backing in and shooting the 5ft turnarounds. Griffin missed a couple of shots from 5ft then he when out to shoot a 3pter and made it then got the ball check back and made 3 more in a row then missed one but the ball bounced back to him and he hit 4 more in a row so he when 8 for 10 or so, he look so calm like it was no big deal but his teammates were like OK so when is this guy going to miss so we can shoot instead of giving him change but impressed at the same time. Morris was also shooting around and hit 5fts, 10fts, 3pts and even banked a couple from the corners, he was hot. Oscar Torres looked excited and was dunking every other time he got the ball, he’s got some major hops.

On to the game. Collier at C, Griffin at PF, Morris at SF, Torres at SG and Tierre Brown at PG for the starting lineup. Here are some of the things that happened.

Short version.

To make the game short the first two quarters the rockets where not playing great but still had the lead. The begining of the thrid the Grizzles took close to a 10pt lead but the Rockets bounced back. Gooden was the star of the Grizzle and had his way with the Rockets front court. The 4th quarter griffin really took some clutch jumpers and keep it close and Browns last shot with 5 sec made the difference to end it 82-81.

Long Version.

1st quarter. Collier wins the tip but kind of just hits the ball or swatting it to the ground instead of tapping it and it bounces up to Brown. Griffin turns and gets fouled but takes the shot anyway and makes it though it doesn’t count. Grizzles go to Drew Gooden the first 3 times down the court and Gooden doesn’t look comfortable, missing everything even a layup that hits the top of the board and bounces way off hard, but it didn’t look as though he was having a hard time getting set up just that he couldn’t make the shots. Griffin gets the rebounds on all of the shots giving him 3 in the first 3 mins. TB does a 360 in traffic and hits the banking leaner. Back down the court Gooden gets the shot again while driving down the lane and gets it air mailed back to him with a block by Morris from the right side. But Gooden is relentless the next time down he makes sure he doesn’t miss and just jams it down Collier as the crowd goes Ohhh. Right after Griffin goes for a post up move and takes a 5ft shot over Gooden but misses. A few plays latter something I have never seen griffin do, he takes an outlet pass and walks/runs it up pass the half court line and gives it to brown who finds a cutting Morris for a lay-up. A few plays latter Gooden takes a shot over Griffin and gets fouled making the ft too then next time down he just goes really high and dunks it two handed. Next time down a grizzle player tries to do the same by going at Griffin and he gets fouled but still gets the shot off and Griffin just stuffs it hard to the ground almost palming it in mid air then throwing it down to the ground. It gets some Ohhhs too though it doesn’t count. Latter Brown takes a shot and misses but Griffin gets the rebound and passes it back, he when really high for it. At the half of the 1st quarter it’s tie 8 up. A few plays latter Griffin tries a 3pter from the top of the key and misses but goes after the rebound and gets it back. Then a player on the Rockets with the int. AT makes a shot. A Grizzle player misses a shot and Griffin gets the rebound then gets it back in the half court set and drives in and passes to Brown who misses, he Griffin is dribbling a lot more all of a sudden. There’s a Illegal defense called on the Grizzle the next time down and Morris is chosen to shoot it and makes it, but with Brown and Torres there the Rockets choose Morris for the ft. Tito Maddox comes in then at SG with 3mins to go in the 1st quarter. After a miss Griffin goes for a tip rebound but misses then next time down Griffin takes a 3pter from the middle of the court misses but gets the long rebound but at the same time tips it to Brown who drives and makes it.
    Next time down Brown takes a shot and misses but Morris is there to rebound tip but misses and gets fouled and makes 1-2ft. Latter Griffin takes a 3pt from the right and misses but gets it back from Maddox on the right and makes it. Then next time down Griffin get’s it on the left block then backs out to 3pt land then drives left then right and drops it in for 2. To end Maddox gets to carried away dribbling and travels. End of 1st, 17-14 rockets up. Griffin, Morris play all 12 minutes.

2nd quarter. Maddox goes up high for a defensive rebound and then drives to the basket and gets called for a offensive foul, his second in only 4 minutes at 11:00 to go. AT hits a 3pt. Next time down at 10 minutes left a fast break of Grizzles miss, and Griffin runs pass everyone and gets a alley opp dunk, he dunks it with two hands and goes so high while running really fast that he has to hang on the rim to not fly off and hit the support, his legs and body was almost sideways while hanging than let go when legs could get back to the ground, the crowd was cheering Ahhh. Oh It was good. After that Griffin needed a rest after playing C. Later Maddox does a nice drive and feeds it between two players to a open Morris underneath but he couldn’t hold it and it when out of bounce and Morris was mad at himself and yelled out, then smiled, he was really enjoying himself out there today. At 8:22 Maddox picks up his 3rd foul and out and in comes Torres again. Torres immediately goes hard to the rim for a dunk but gets fouled and misses the dunk but makes 2fts. A few plays later Hamilton does a nice move underneath to get open and makes a hard shot and gets fouled and the crowd cheered and some said nice. Halfway 27-22 Rockets up. Griffin back at 5:38. A few seconds later Griffin does it again, he drives in from the 3pt line and passes it to a open Brown who misses but Griffin gets the offensive board and runs it out then drives it back in and dishes to Hamilton who then gets fouled going up for the layup. Wow two times in one play Griffin dribbles in. A few minutes later Brown does another nice 360 in traffic and makes a bank and gets fouled. Next time back Griffin posts up and goes against Gooden, Griffin backs him up 5ft in then goes up and gets fouled by Gooden, makes 1-2. A play later Collier goes up hard and quick but some how a Grizzle just stuffs it back hard and it hits him back and bounces to a Grizzle player who passes it forward to a running Gooden who takes a pull up 10ft with Griffin on him and makes it. Next play down Collier gets a tip and scores 2. Next time down Griffin gets a pass and just jumps really high and shoots a 3pt that goes in so smooth. Back to the Grizzles court Gooden really fights Griffin for position and backs him in then fakes him but Griffin is so calm he just put his hands up and Gooden misses the shot. Later Torres air balls a 3pt and griffin nearly saves it as it tips off his fingers, he really does get his hands on so many misses. Later Ike N is a really big guy and gets a tip for the rockets. Then next play down Griffin fakes Gooden at the 3pt line and drives in once again to the ft line and shoots but misses. Halftime 43-36 Rockets up.

3rd quarter. Drew Gooden looked totally open and gets an alley opp and he just lays it up instead of dunks it and out of nowhere Griffin’s hand just blocks it but it is ruled goaltending. Griffin then goes down and backs up Gooden for a 5ft turnaround jumper. A few plays later a Grizzle play just passes the ball but the player that was to receive the pass did not notice it was headed straight to Rudy T’s face, but Rudy T has some quick reaction and just move in time, had a smile on his face afterwards. Later Griffin fakes a 3pt and passes to a driving Torres who goes up and slams the front rim but gets the rebound and lays it up. Next time down a Grizzle player just goes up from the right side of the rim and keeps going up and just turns in mid air and slams it home from the right, unbelievable hops. The guy gets a tech and then the Grizzle bench gets a tech for yelling too. Morris again chosen to take the ft and hits both. Later Morris does a nice 360 spin in traffic and gets fouled. Next play back Griffin gets a offensive rebound and then goes right back up and takes a 5ft jumper and makes it. Back to the Grizzles court Gooden takes it strong on Griffin and backs it in and gets the offensive foul. Next time down Gooden gets a fast break dunk and slams it hard one hand kind of in a pull back catapult motion and bam it in, gets many Ohhhs. Maddox back in and gets a fast break lay-up and at 2:35 to go its tie at 56. Next time down Collier does a nice move and goes for a reverse lay-up but it just air balls. Next time down some Grizzle just dunks it hard, really hard on Collier, he just when right up and up and down on him from the front of the basket, kind of reminded me of how KJ dunked on Olajuwon back in 94, it got lots of Ohhhs and Ahhhs. To end the 3rd Maddox drives in and one handedly brings the ball up and drops it in straight on.

4th quarter. Fast break, Morris has the ball and sees Griffin cutting to the basket and alley opps it, but griffin is too far back but gets too it and dunks it on the front of the rim but it bounces up and rows in. Gooden right after goes to the rim and tries to dunk it too but dunks too hard and it just flies back out as hard as it when in. A few plays later Morris finds Griffin again but this time Griffin gets fouled before the shot and makes 1-2. Next time down Morris misses a 10ft shot and Griffin gets the rebound then gets fouled while making the shot but the 24 sec clock is called before that. A few plays later Griffin takes a 3pt and nails it with ease then comes down and Gooden goes for a drive and shoots and Griffin blocks him. Morris knocks down a 3pt from the left. Later Griffin gets a offensive rebound and goes up and makes the lay-up but a foul is called before that and Griffin makes 1-2. 74-69 Grizzles up with 4:43. Next time down rockets kill 20 seconds then it goes out of bounce from a Grizzle. With 4 seconds the inbound goes to Griffin, Griffin calmly turns around and hits a 3 at the top of the key. 74-72 Grizzles up. Next time down Brown hits a reverse lay-up . 77-74 Grizzles up. Next time down Grizzles illegal defense. Morris hits two techs. 77-76 Grizzles up. Brown drives and gets fouled hits 1-2. Tie 77 2:15 to go. Gooden Misses and Griffin gets the rebound, goes down and hits a long 2pt near the top of the key. 77-79 Rockets up. Next time down Brown gets fouled hits 1-2. 79-80 Rockets up 1:11 to go. Back to the Grizzles Gooden somehow drives pass Griffin then does a reverse but in mid air Griffin blocks it, awesome play when it happened it was like slow motion in my eyes, I could see everything happen. But after the block it flies to another Grizzle that hits a lay-up. 81-80 Grizzles up 16.9 sec to go. Brown then uses up the clock and then flies past two screens and hits a turnaround falling back 5ft jumper. 82-81 Rockets up with 5.6 sec left. Grizzles get an open shot and it just barely misses of the left of the rim. What a great game!

Observations:

Griffin looks so much better than last season’s summer league. He’s not as hesitant taking the shot, and drives a lot more in this game than he has in all the games last year. Last year he would just settle for the 20+, 3pt shot but now he’s faking and driving. In size he still looks the same as last season. I don’t see much more muscle on his arms but I do see a lot more confidence in his play, and his teammates look for him more this time than last. He is the go to guy on the Rockets offense. He did many pick and rolls and this time he’s cutting to the basket after a screen then just moving out to 3pt land after screening, but he still does this but once in awhile he will run to the basket unlike last year where he just stayed outside. He’s getting his hands on a ton of rebounds, many tips too. He’s just everywhere this time. He’s getting better at passing finding the open man for shots. He must of passed at least 4-5 times to an open player and at least 3 times passing while driving in. He still doesn’t have the lateral movement to keep players that run at him from getting away. Hence why Gooden got 24pts against him by driving in than backing up. Still is very effective at guarding players that back him in. Still got 23 pts against Gooden and at least 15rebs. He just looks so much more comfortable, he should be a force for the Rockets next season (maybe 4th or even 3rd in scoring for the rockets and maybe anywhere from 3rd to even 1st in rebounding).

Morris really looks confident in his shoot, he tried many fancy shots in the warm-up and made them with ease. He looks bigger, actually much bigger than last season’s summer games. He looks even bigger than Griffin on top. His neck is much wider too. Still very good at finding the open man on the fast break or driving in and passes it good too. He’s just a good all round player. His shot is much better too, though he was making then last summer league they were not as comfortable as this year. He’s taking his time shooting them, he just seems a lot smarter in what to do this year.

Tito Maddox looked really lost out there, he looks to pass way too much and he dribbles well but for too long and ends up traveling or loosing the ball. Many in the crowd was cheering him on but the pressure got to him. His shot looks too hesitant and shaky and is off by far. He does have good size for a NBA point and was pretty big compared to the other points. He looked too unsure of what to do and plays were alot slowed down when he set up and ended in un organized shots after 15-20 sec. But he does pass well and he looks to pass much like a true point and doesn’t even think of shooting in a half court set. He does look to take it to the rim on the fast break though and is really quick in the transition. Also rebounds well and looks for the rebounds too.

Tierre Brown is fast, loves to do 360s in traffic and can bring a ball up court with ease. Very comfortable dribbling. Passes ok but doesn’t look to pass as often as to score. Has amazing skill to get to the basket and does get there often but his size makes it hard for him to score on bigger players down there. Most of the time when he drove in he only passed if no shot was there. Did play the pick and roll well at the end of the game with Griffin.

Jason Collier looked alot more healthier than last summer games and looked like he could keep up if he played 40 mins but his game was not on par. He did get some rebounds but one two plays Grizzle players just grabed the ball out of his hands even though he got it back.

AT. This guy made a few shots for the Rockets and did block Gooden once. The only thing that really bothered me was that he didn't really follow his shots, he could of had at least 2 more rebounds that came back his way after misses but didn't go after them. The guy does have some speed and handling ability and played SF and PF well.

Gooden and Griffin are similar in size, Griffin has larger legs, but Gooden as wider Shoulders. They both have similar size arms and chest. Gooden is a very athletic player. He can post up and hit the outside shot, or drive in. He knows when to shoot too, knows how to get fouls and knows how to get in good spots for shots. He passes out well too when he’s trapped. This guy has real skill, I kind of doubted him as to how well he would do at the beginning of his career, I know he could be good later, but I think with playing time he could be one of the nominees for ROY this season (definitely not a run away ROY but could get nominated).

Sorry if it's long.

#1 LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Jul 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  2. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

That's alright with everyone! Good recap!

3. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

RocketBlast- Thanks!

Sorry guys I can't seem to find my computer connecter for my camera. No pics : (

4. Stevie Francis

That was really nice of you to write all of that info for us. It is well aprreciated. If you could give us some more review on future games, if you want you can give a quick summary, or a long review it does not matter.

What!!! Griff looks the same? I guess he's only 230, like Wallace's weight. Oh well, i like the fact he is taking inside shots, cause we need an inside presence.

5. Truth

Truth Member

Wow. Great Description. We're thankful for your hard work. It's great. Keep Em' Comin'!

6. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Love the recap. I especially enjoyed your description of Griff's block of Gooden's shot in the 4th. Man, that sounded like one awesome play! We're all going to be looking forward to see what Eddie can do this year!

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thanks for the game info. I was pissed off cause none of the local t.v stations even mentioned the game.

8. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Stevie Francis - Thanks, I like writing about these games : ) Yes I notice Griffin playing more inside or at least somewhat even inside-outside play this game. I hope he does become a inside presence too. He could diffinitely get alot of tip shots/offensive putbacks next season.

Truth, lobo, JamesC- Thanks for the compliments!

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I had forgotten how well you covered these games. You either have a great memory or jot down notes very quickly. Either way, thank you for your efforts. You are what being a Rockets fan is all about.

10. MONON

MONON Member

Great commentary, LA's #1 Rocket Fan!!!! However, could you check your notes on the pick & roll item? I'd swear you wrote that Eddie did a pick & roll to the basket!!!:confused: If that's true, I'm sure Rudy will straighten Eddie out in training camp!!:D

11. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

I guess ROCKET!!!'s "insider info" is completely false, considering he said that eddie got much stronger.

12. 3oClockRocket

3oClockRocket Member

thanks, LA's #1 Rocket Fan for the detailed report!!!

13. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Hey LA's #1, did you catch the LA-GS game too. If you did, doesn't Dunleavy look a lot wider and stronger than he does on TV? Too bad he nor Jeri Welsch could hit a shot to save their life.

Your right $10 is a steal for an all-day pass. Too bad I had only enough time to watch one game.

14. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

Thx for the info LA's #1, I really appreciate it, especially the detailed play by play. It's awsome :)

Just a quick question though about Morris, in the game was he playing more out on the perimeter looking to penetrate or did he play any type of back to the basket game?

Thx again for the info, and I look forward to your next report.

15. harumph

harumph Member

Let the praise begin...

LA's #1 RF, I was hoping you would be attending the summer league again this year. Excellent detailed coverage (as per last year)... And your writing has improved too (not meant to be condescending. sorry if taken that way). You still love big paragraphs though:)

Also thanks for providing real info for this rocket junkie who was going through severe news withdrawl induced boredom:D

16. harumph

harumph Member

Forgot to ask you something...

You mentioned a few new plays, griffen walking the ball up for quick ">" type pass (inlet play???) with TB & TMo, rolling to the basket in the pick'n'roll...

The Qs are:
    -what was EG doing in the various P'n'R plays? was he setting the pick & then rolling to the basket? was he the ball carrier using the pick? if so was he then driving/pulling up or dishing to the cutter (for whatever shot) or a combo/both? Other moves?
    -EG walked the ball up a few times in the recap. how much time did he spend as a point foward/centre?
    -any other new offensive sets/tactics seen? any use of the "trapazoid" offense (read HeyP's description (once the search is re-enbled;))... that man can seriously describe plays!)?

Thanks in advance.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

LA...AWESOME write up...you obviously put a lot of time into it and it certainly shows...that write up was the next best thing to seeing it live!!!

18. Tmo

Tmo Member

LA #1 you are awesome!!!!

19. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Absolutely priceless and peerless! Thanks.

I am really happy to hear about Tmo. His improved play will further contribute to KT moving on when that time comes. It is like when we traded Harrington because we knew what KT could provide.

I am inclined to give Maddox a lot of latitude as we should remember that he had a year off and may not be as high confidence-wise.

Who was this Ishmail Ahmed?

20. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

thanks for all the hard work in writing this for us.