1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Videos] Yao Ming Return & Courtney Lee Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 6, 2010.

1. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Lee looked unpolished still if he's going to be running the point. His passes were too telegraphed and lackadaisical and he picks up his dribble way too much. Obviously this is only after one game so we'll see how he develops. But with the way the Rox players were raving about his point-guard skills, I thought he would have those fundamentals more under wraps. He'll definitely get better though as he adjusts to the new team.

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Martin went to western Carolina…

Thx clutch, I think lee will fit nicely in our offense and he is a good defender.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Yao's minutes should be bumped up to 30...then he'll be fine. 2 years ago, they just overused him. They just need to manage him probably in terms of when to rest. Someone says play him 12 minutes and then rest him for the rest of the half...that's not good management. That is as bad as playing him or overused him like 2years ago.

4. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

Thanks for the highlight vids, Clutch.

You encapsulated all that I needed to see of the first pre-season game; Yao & Lee.

Now I don't need to DL the torrent.

Regards ;)

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Holy F, Courtney really is faster then Brooks.

And Yao really didn't look that bad for someone who hasn't played in so long. It was mostly timing issues, and that'll come back.

6. Redfan

Redfan Member

Thanks for the post. Definitely a lot to digest in the two videos.

I think yao was definitely struggling a little with the pace and physicality of play but that is to be expected after such a long layoff. Overall he still looked relatively fluid when making moves and his shooting stroke is still as good as ever. He also looked really good running the rick adelman offense, especially on the pass to a cutting kevin martin.

I am not sure what to make of courtney lee after this game. It is highly possible that his high level of use was a planned experiment, but the results are somewhat disheartening. Especially troubling were the turnovers when attempting to pass the ball into the post. With our offensive focus of feeding you, this is a serious flaw. When he and AB are on the floor together, it will be nearly impossible to feed the ball to yao. The other problem I saw was that, although he does a great job of running off screens with and without the ball, he doesn't do so great at setting his feet for the shot. The result is often an offbalance and inconsistent shot. The players who succeed at shooting off screens almost always are excellent at stopping their momentum and rising straight up.

I am hoping that with a lower level of use, and time to learn the problems will disappear, and even if they don't I think he is at least the equal of trevor ariza for this team. Hopefully we will see things more clearly moving forward. No need to make immediate conclusions off one game.

7. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Nice analysis. :rolleyes:

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i never knew he was overrated, i always though the sucked, but i admit, I was a lil impressed with his quickness driving to the basket.

9. Redfan

Redfan Member

One other note is that yao was facing Dwight Howard, a physical prototype for how to give yao ming problems.

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

the = he

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think Yao did ok for a player who hasn't played for a long time.

I am really impressed by Lee. He is an all-around player, can shoot, defend, & playmaking.

12. albuster

albuster Member

Thanks for the vids Clutch. First pre season game and there is already an over abundance of negativity towards the team and certain players. When will we ever learn?

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'm surprised this hasn't been said more. what were you guys expecting out of yao against the best defensive center in the league his first game back?

14. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

pretty much everyone looked worn out, especially scola. at least give them some time to recover from training camp.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

They looked good. Courtney Lee looks like he deserves more time than Battier. Battier looked horrible but it is preseason and his hustle is key in regular season games. So?? For whatever thats worth Lee looks like a starter and Battier doesnt. Yao looks good on defense and rebounds for us.

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Lee looks very fast going coast to coast. i don't think we had a player who could go coast to coast like that. i'm just so glad we have courtney lee instead of trevor ariza!

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Man with Lee and Lowry back court combo off the bench is nice. Both are good defenders and very quick. I like that combo.

18. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

RocketsJCF
    Other news from late-afternoon practice: Yao to now play 6 minutes in each half, instead of playing all 12 minutes in first, like last nite.
    :rolleyes:

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Asked Adelman today about his thoughts on Lee last night. Brief, but here they are:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZdWj2vOhsk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZdWj2vOhsk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'll have some practice notes up shortly.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I am impressed with Courtney Lee. Even though he missed shots but he's able to create shots and have open looks...moves well with the ball....his ballhandling skills is exceptional. If it wasn't for Aaron Brooks, i would start Courtney Lee. Hell, i am thinking of starting him over Battier now...make it 3 lethal combo attackers. But then that leaves out bench too thin with Battier and Budinger playing the same position.

Yao is not bad at all....he was able to alter shots inside and changing shots like usual. Some of the thing Howard did won't work again when Yao is back to playing like usual. Yao is actually impressive first time from injury.