1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[videos] Robert Horry -where Big Shot REALLY started

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2014.

?

Big Shot Rob

1. was clutchest in Houston

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. was clutchest in LA

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. was clutchest in San Antonio

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. was great in I am Legend

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Game Winner vs Spurs Game 1 WCF 95
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bt86Gmzae50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Game 1 NBA Finals 95
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AGNPNDR_TIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Game 2 NBA Finals 95
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Snms6B8nGR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Game 3 NBA Finals 95
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6wZ7qMCaGFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Game 4 NBA Finals 95
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z76HMVvh4x0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

#1 tinman, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as an accused 'lin fan' here, even i wouldn't have drafted harold miner over this guy ;)

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Was my favourite player on the team, besides Olajuwon. I loved his head wobble after his dunks...

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He hit so many clutch shots it was ridiculous. It's easy to forget some of the ones he knocked down during his time here because a few of them came in losses or weren't game-winners:

Game 7 at Seattle in 1993 - He hit an open 18-footer to put the Rockets up 93-91 with about half a minute left. That would've been the game(and series) winner, but unfortunately Ricky Pierce tied it up to send it to OT where the Sonics won.

Game 5 vs. Utah in 1994 - The Rockets were in the process of blowing another huge lead in the 4th quarter like they did against the Suns. Along comes Horry with one of the sickest two-handed dunks I've ever seen off a Dream assist(and just moments after he took a nasty spill on the previous play). That effectively killed the Jazz rally and clinched the Western Conference championship for the Rockets.

Game 6 vs. San Antonio in 1995 - Horry hit six 3-pointers including a huge one late in the 4th quarter off a Clyde assist that kept the Spurs at bay long enough for the Rockets to finish them off. That was the infamous series where the road team had won the first 5 games.

Game 4 vs. Seattle in 1996 - The Rockets were down 20 points in the 4th quarter and were well on their way to a demoralizing sweep. Suddenly, Horry went bonkers and started hitting 3's from everywhere. The Rockets managed to tie the game and send it to OT before the Sonics finally closed them out.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We never should have traded Horry and Cassell for Barkley. Kevin Willis was enough.

6. Oracle

Oracle Member

Oh man, one of my all time biggest favorites! You just got to love how this guy plays ball! Thanks for the clips! Loved to watch them.

7. rocketsmetalspd

Looking back that would given the Rockets, I believe at least 2 more Championships.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Robert Horry is the most overrated player in NBA history. Sure, he could hit a shot at the end of the game, but only as long as he had Hall of Fame guys to carry him there.

9. dragician

dragician Member

fify.

10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

It's always kind of fun to go back and revisit something like this...
    ...especially considering what we know now about how things worked out.

I remember there being some argument as to whether or not the Rockets could even afford to keep Sam Cassell and Robert Horry at the time. They were the two youngest, and arguably the most integral, parts of the Rockets' two-title run of that time.

They were both also due potentially massive pay raises. And with the Rockets losing to Seattle in the 1996 playoffs, it seemed to be a perfect confluence of circumstances which ultimately seemed to validate significant change in the Rockets' lineup if they were ever going to beat the Sonics.

Both Cassell and Horry, for all of the big moments they had, were still largely inconsistent, and hadn't grown into the players that their talent suggested yet, at least from management's perspective.

And as blasphemous as it may seem now, Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler weren't quite ready to surrender a lot of the on-court responsibilities to either Cassell or Horry.

I recall Sam Cassell, in particular, was always angling for a larger and more definitive role in the Rockets' offense. Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell managed to co-exist remarkably well, but once Smith started his decline, Cassell probably assumed that the starting point guard duties belonged to him by default. Sam was always extremely competitive, so his dissatisfaction with his role and minutes ebbed and flowed, but he seemed to feel that he had earned the right to be the teams' point guard of the future.

The 1995-1996 Rockets were injury-riddled all season, and really couldn't find themselves at all because of so much line-up inconsistency, despite beating Magic Johnson's last hurrah as a Los Angeles Laker (playing "point-power-forward" for want of a better term...a weird sort of precursor to Lebron James) fairly easily.

I remember Magic, incidentally, when interviewed by someone after that first-round series, saying he had flashbacks of what he was used to seeing on fast breaks―Michael Cooper and James Worthy and Byron Scott instead of Eddie Jones or Sedale Threatt or Elden Campbell. It wasn't the same team as his Showtime Lakers, and he wasn't the same player, in essence.

The interesting thing about pro sports though, is the weirdness of time...how much of it and how little of it you have at the same time.

When there's an opportunity to win (and for the Rockets then, winning meant winning championships), the future is very much now. The Rockets (and Rudy Tomjonovich) were able to pull that balancing act of mixing young energy with veteran savvy off very well.

But even in light of two consecutive championships, not convincingly enough to pass along to the two youngest Rockets the torch of leadership, it seemed.
    Also, Les Alexander had just bought the team, and may have been under the impression (especially with how the trade for Clyde Drexler worked out), that all he ever needed to do was make a trade for a big-name player to keep the Rockets in contention. Alexander did ultimately take those positions based on what Carroll Dawson thought was best.

There was also the stink about some inappropriate relations between Robert Horry and Calvin Murphy’s daughter, and the implication because of Murphy’s considerable influence within the organization that he had something to do with getting Robert Horry traded, in particular.

I’ve always held that, all things being equal, that you don’t trade 10 years away for two. And for all of the hand-wringing going on about the Sonics, the Rockets basically made a trade to beat one team, and had mortgaged the future , after a fashion, in order to do it.

Charles Barkley was not only a hall-of-fame player. He was even rarer still…he was a unique player. He had post-up skills like bigger men, and ball-handling skills like guards, and was only about 6’4” (listed as 6’6”). But he was, as we discovered, also not long for the NBA-world. The chance he brought with him to win a title faded away as quickly as his arrival sparked optimism. And usually, in any trade, you want to wind up with the best player in the exchange. And Barkley even took less money initially, expecting to be compensated later, to help the Rockets financially (one of the augurs against re-signing Horry and/or Cassell)….

Hindsight is always 20/20. My preference at the time was to try to find a way to keep the team we had together. We’d watched them find ways to win against near-impossible odds so much, I thought they deserved a chance to figure things out. And I always liked Sam and Robert.

The only “overspending” you could possibly do in the pros, is to overspend on the “right now”...

…and sometimes the right now takes a bigger hold of you then just “right”.

Still and all, that trade was essentially a lateral move. And if the exact same set of circumstances existed, I can’t imagine the Rockets not taking it again.

The Rockets were swinging for the fences…
    …so there’s as much of a chance of striking out as there is of knocking one out of the park.

How'd Satchel Paige say it...?

"...You pays yo' money and you takes yo' chances..."

1 person likes this.
  11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This is why you keep guys like Parsons around. Horry was a multi tooll guy that performed well under pressure.

1 person likes this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's about them rings.

13. SeeingRocketRed

I agree with rocketeer. We should learn this lesson and keep parsons and friends. We don't need to grab carmelo to win a ring, in fact, I think our odds are better with our current squad instead of +Carmelo, and minus Parsons, lin, asik, and maybe even jones.

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I liked him best in Men in Black.

15. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He doesn't win a title without them, but he made at least 1 big shot in every single playoff run, and likely a lot of those teams don't win titles without him.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets definitely don't win the title in 1995 if Horry doesn't make a ton of big shots.

The Lakers fall to the Kings if Horry doesn't hit that last second 3-pointer in Game 4.

The Spurs don't win in 2005 if Horry doesn't go nutz at the end of Game 5 in the Finals against Detroit.

And the Spurs fall in the Semifinals against Phoenix in 2007 if Horry doesn't hipcheck Steve Nash into the scorers' table at the end of Game 4 and get Amare and Boris Diaw suspended for Game 5.

#16 count_dough-ku, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

thanks. what a great way to spend my free 30 mins at work

18. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed.
    [​IMG]

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

All of those teams would still have been championship caliber teams without him. Horry certainly contributed but there are a lot of 8 point per game players who could have taken his place.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'm surprised San Antonio only has 4 votes. Anyone not rememeber Game 5 of the 05 Finals?